Gunsmith - Springfield XD

Discussion in 'Ranges, Dealers & Smiths' started by MilcorTactical, Jan 27, 2011.

1. MilcorTactical

MilcorTactical New Member

Does anyone know a local gunsmith that works on the Springfield XD? The gunsmith I normally use does not work on XD's. I would like to get a trigger job. I ran across two gunsmiths in OR that specialize in the XD but I am not big on shipping firearms, especially to OR. Im in North Fulton.

Corey

2. 1str8shot

1str8shot New Member

local to me or local to you? where is "local" for you?

edit - nevermind, i see you edited after i replied.

3. LoneOak

LoneOak Proprietor LoneOakTerrace

Brian Ott with Ott Gun Works in Douglasville can fix your XD up just the way you want. Ask him to put a Powder River Precision trigger kit in it and it will shoot better than you could ever imagine.

Tell Brian that the LoneOak sent you!!!!!

4. MilcorTactical

Thanks for the info! Powder River Precision was one of the gunsmiths I was thinking of shipping my gun to out in OR. I will contact OTT Gunworks. I hate the factor XD trigger!

Corey

5. DEDX

DEDX New Member

I'm not a gunsmith but do all the smithing work on all of my guns. I installed the PRP trigger kit in my XD .45, and it makes a HUGE improvement. If you'd like, I'm local (Cherokee Co), and can meet up one weekend if you want to check it out before you buy the kit. Feel free to PM or email me.

6. jasonb

jasonb New Member

I have installed the PRP trigger kit in both of my XDs. They make a big time difference. They are pretty dang easy to install. If you were down this way I'd help you install it. There is a massive thread with step by step and pictures on xdtalk that I used for the first one and it made it simple. Just something to consider if you go the PRP route.

7. MilcorTactical

Thanks for the offers! I would normally do the work myself, however I am also having night sites installed and a couple of other things I need a gunsmith for. Everyone has told me the PRP trigger kit is great. I cannot wait to get it installed. I am dropping it off today.

Corey

8. DEDX

DEDX New Member

You won't be disappointed with the trigger! Sights are a nice addition also, not a huge fan of the factory sights.

9. MilcorTactical

Picked up my XD from Ott Gunworks yesterday. I had him install a PRP trigger, Truglow TFO sites, and do some polishing. WOW! What a difference! The PRP trigger made it enjoyable to shoot since it does not feel like it has 3" of spongy trigger pull anymore. It greatly improved my accuracy also. I was thinking of trading my XD for a Glock 23, but now I will be keeping it. I think I will still get a Glock 23 though!

Corey

10. LoneOak

LoneOak Proprietor LoneOakTerrace

I knew you would be happy with it. Mine is set up nearly the same except I did mine myself. Brian does real good work, you will be happy with the gun for a long time to come.

11. TAP

TAP New Member

12. MilcorTactical

Thats the first I have heard of that problem. However the gunsmith did say that PRP had made some improvements to the trigger since he installed a PRP trigger on his XD .45. He said he was going to order a new kit and replace his old one.

Corey

13. DEDX

DEDX New Member

That's the first I've heard of it as well. However, after reading that I stripped down my prp-equipped XD45 and found my pin had indeed started walking on mine. I'll definitely keep an eye on it now. Thanks for the heads up.

14. MilcorTactical

I spoke to a smith about the possible issue. Here is what he said:

I normally use a gunsmith to install new parts. I know a lot of parts can be installed myself but I always feel safer when a reputable gunsmith does the work. I will keep an eye on it though.

Corey

15. m100_explorer

m100_explorer New Member

Sent my XD40sc out for the trigger job to be done by PR. Got it back and after about 50 rounds things were acting weird. Indicator would show one in the tube and yet no bang. Double pull on the trigger would get things firing. Called Daniel and sent it back he replaced the trigger etc no cost for shipping etc which is how its supposed to be!!

Put 50 rounds down range today and all seems to be working as smooth as expected. I am going to be watching and going in 50 round increments until I feel things are indeed fixed.

just my .02