Gunshow Disappointment

Discussion in 'Ranges, Dealers & Smiths' started by 1911packer, Aug 26, 2007.

1. 1911packer

1911packer Guest

I went to the show in Cobb County this weekend looking to improve my carry holster situation and to check out the XD 45. This was the first show I have attended in many years and I came away disappointed.

I was surprised at the selection of holsters. All I saw were brand names I never heard of that seemed to be of inferior quality. I didn't even see an Uncle Mike's for sale.

As for the firearms, there seemed to be a lot of table space being wasted on rusty scrap metal shaped like guns.

I couldn't comment on the prices for new handguns, as I haven't purchased a firearm in years. I have bought most of what I own at shows because that was where the best prices were.

Finally, the show seemed small, with specialty tables (such as mags, books, ammo) limited to one or two dealers. The whole experience left me with the feeling of being in a Wally World for guns.

I post this because, as I said, I haven't been to a show in years, and I am curious to know if this is how shows in GA are now. Was it just the venue (Cobb Civic Center IS a bit small), the time of year, the promoter, or is it typical?

I could see how the Internet would cut into the business of everything but the firearms, but I used to go to shows where I could have shopped a half-dozen holster dealers.

BTW, the XD looked like a nice piece, but seemed a bit thick for a CC compared to the 1911.

2. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

The one in Savannah was larger than I expected. The one at the North Atlanta Trade Center was larger. However, the selection was really good in Savannah and it was good in Gwinnett when I went (several years ago).

3. 1911packer

1911packer Guest

Sounds like the Civic Center just isn't large enough. Thing did seem jammed, with dealers stuffed in side rooms.

4. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

The one show I went to I was also disappointed because seemingly the whole middle section was filled with utter crap.

5. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, this was quite a bit smaller than the NATC show, but all the crap vendors got tables this time and pushed out the actual gun dealers. I wasn't looking too hard, but I don't think GA Arms or Atlanta Arms was there. Very weird.

6. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

I was disappointed with the selection in Cobb so you're not alone.

7. curtdiss

curtdiss Member

I was also disappointed in the show...poor selection and narrow isle ways... :(

8. tace

tace New Member

I have been to several shows in the last couple of years and learned a couple things.

Anything you see there, you can get it cheaper somewhere else.

All the generic stuff is usually not even of quality to waste your money on.

I have also bought hard to find mags at rip off prices from shows to find out that they had rust in them. There is one guy who sells every kind of mags available and he is a dirt bag.

I think the only ppl who get a good deal on a gun are the ones who could never buy a gun from a dealer :(

9. Guest

Guest Guest

Dalton had a show several weeks ago. I think they had one decent size handgun vendor. All the holsters were nylon type - had a couple of tables full of them. One decent size ammo vendor. Plenty of long guns - new & used. But basically a waste of my $8.00 . And as someone said before - you can get what products you see at the gun show less $$ somewhere else. The promoters charge so much for their booth space - vendors have to over price their product. I purchased an Uncle Mike's holster at an East Ridge TN gun show a few months back - paid like $29.95 - two days later I was in a Sportsman Warehouse - same item $14.99 - so there I go. Another gun show coming up - thinking about being a no show.

10. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I believe they're a good place for trading, etc. If you go Sunday, I imagine haggling would be easier because it's the last day.

11. Mafuta54

Mafuta54 Active Member

I have found that the local pawn shop is the like the gun shows in that I cann usually find a better price at Adventure Outdoors on a new gun than the pawn shop wants for the used ones they have!! :twisted:

12. Bulldawg182

Bulldawg182 Active Member

I have to admit I feel the same way. I went to two Eastman shows in the last couple of months and found them both disappointing. Unless you're there to find relics or military stuff, there's very little worth buying and the prices are not any better (mostly worse) than many other locations. I bought a nice Maxpedition rifle case for the day, if it ever comes, when my new AR arrives. I spent $73 on it and found it the very next day on the internet on one of the tactical store sites for $48.00. Ammo was no great shakes either.

13. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

You have to consider shipping when buying online. If it's out of state online, you don't have to worry about taxes, but at the shows you do have to. For bigger purchases, I usually shop around for the best deal.

14. M249

M249 New Member

I felt the Gainesville show was much more impressive. Are there better shows than the Eastman shows?

15. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

I like gunshows because I enjoy spending an afternoon surrounded by guns and occasionally I get good deals on ammo, optics or magazines. Helps if you know the going prices, how much shipping costs and if the guy doesn't tax you it may make be worthwhile....

Or you can just go to meet people and maybe get some kind of hook-up. cdtracing, a member here, is an FFL and is at a lot of gunshows. You might be able to work out cheap transfers, get some discounts if you get stuff in bulk and maybe you feel more comfortable dealing with a single person rather than a gun shop :cheers:

You don't have to actually conduct business AT the gunshow.

16. tony218

tony218 New Member

i did find a mag. holder for my mavarov mag. for $2.00
    i also found some mak. mags. for an outrageous
    $27.00 each

17. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

Only 27? Mine are $42

CZ mags are only 20, though :D

18. asbrand

asbrand Active Member

Great googeley moogely...

Just a couple of years ago, I bought several Makarov mags from AIM Surplus for $5 each. :shock:

19. Marikhal

Marikhal Guest

Sig Mosquito mags retail for $44.00.... :(