Guns on Craigslist

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by foshizzle, Feb 5, 2007.

1. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

I routinely browse craigslist for all of my special interest stuff... including guns. Sometimes there are good deals on there and I've come close to picking up a shotgun recently.

Thing is, the gun ads always disappear. Well, not ALL of them, but I notice I may look at one during the day, and poof it will be gone when I look again at night. I guess it has to do with users flagging firearms-related posts. I'm not really big on much on craigsist other than just browsing.

This guy made this post and advocted a flagging war. Check it out.

Here is the post. I'm interested to see if it disappears or not

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/spo/273931595.html

I'm not about to start flagging things for no reason, of course, but it is frustrating how craigs list works. Is there any way to stop people from doing this other than making ourselves look bad by doing the same thing? It's not like we could target just those posters who flag gun stuff... if we could then I would flag away, but I don't want to piss off the innocents... lol.

2. pro2am

pro2am New Member

I routinely go out there looking for shotguns too. I've never run across an ad being flagged though. I'll keep my eyes open.

3. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

It already got flagged down. I have no idea how long it was up... I think maybe under 2 hours.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/spo/273931595.html

It's aggravating. It's not illegal to sell guns FTF in Georgia. Stupid liberals are everywhere.

4. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Um...they are posting on a site that uses a purple peace sign for its Favicon.

What exactly was everyone expecting?

5. pro2am

pro2am New Member

Maybe its that one user. I search the ads for "shotgun" and get plenty of hits, some new some old.

6. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/spo/274038211.html

Kel -Tec or golf shoes - $250

It's not just one guy... it's lots of them. The guys that put shotguns up usually do ok... it's the pistols and especially the black rifles that get flagged... this guy has been trying to unload his SKS for over a week... so now he put's golf shoes in the ad to throw them off. I'm telling you I look all day long (don't tell my boss)... ads disappear with surprising regularity. I think I'm about to get involved with a few posts on that byotch. I won't stoop to their level and flag, but this is ridiculous.

7. pro2am

pro2am New Member

By all means...stoop.

8. wwomack

wwomack New Member

Check out their "Prohibited Items" list at http://www.craigslist.org/about/prohibited.items.html

Number two on the list is:
    Craigslist was founded originally in San Francisco and shows some of the bias you would expect from that area.

9. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Looks like someone didn't RTFM before they got pissed about the whole guns thing. :lol:

10. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

I'm still pissed about the guns thing.

I did look up the TOS and didn't go so far as to see the buried rules in there.

So, even if I live outside of their jurisdiction, I am still bound by the laws that they have? If that's the case, everything should also be subject to CA sales tax.

That is crap. I can see why the firearms posts keep getting flagged, but given enough time and research capability, I bet I can pretty much make everything illegal on craigslist... according to KA law.

Maybe we can figure out a way to advertise GPDO on there. At least we can buy/sell firearms in the legal manner in which the state allows.

11. rajl

rajl New Member

Given the nature of the sight, I'm not surprised that posts get flagged all the time. Personally, I find it reprehensible in the TOS that they are attempting to impose CA law on states outside CA. However, it's their site, their rules. And their rule is no firearms.

On the plus side, I did buy a nice, shiny, gently used Sig 220 off there. :D And I admit I cruise the site all the time looking for pistols, shotguns, and rifles. I've found that you often get better results if you use search terms like "Colt" "SKS" "1911" "Glock", etc than if you use generics like pistol or rifle. I think that's how the ones that stick around for awhile stay under the radar at least. The GFW's don't know enough to refine their searches.