Guns now allowed on school property

Discussion in 'Georgia In the News' started by {TEX}Hawaii((, Jan 13, 2011.

1. CoffeeMate

CoffeeMate Junior Butt Warmer

Maybe he means not in any more danger than usual.

2. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

Yep, been legal since July with the signing of SB308. Schools were required to follow the law as soon as it was enacted. Some are reluctant and slow to comply, but at least no one following the law would have gotten in trouble prior to them bringing their policy in line with the law.

3. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

I think it was June 04, 2010 right?

4. mountainpass

mountainpass Under Scrutiny

bold added

Unless someone licensed is dropping off or picking up....nevermind....

5. ballcoach16

ballcoach16 Member

Correct me if I am wrong (I'm not though), but as a GFL holder and school employee, even prior to July 2010, I could keep my firearm locked in my vehicle as exempted by OCGA 16-11-127.1 subsection (c) Item 17 "Teachers and other school personnel who are otherwise authorized to possess or carry weapons, provided that any such weapon is in a locked compartment of a motor vehicle or one which is in a locked container in or a locked firearms rack which is on a motor vehicle."

They act like this is something new.

6. mountainpass

mountainpass Under Scrutiny

Mr. Principal....welcome to the media.

7. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

I've sent a long message to the school board, replete with references to Georgia laws. Some of these laws point out legal carry for GWL holders, and others direct them to the exempt "chosen few" listed in OCGA 16-11-130.

I can't wait for the response!

8. Quest50

Quest50 Active Member

Please keep us posted on their response!

9. Priest

Priest New Member

Someone might want to point out few other nice sections of the law if you were to want to make his head explode....

10. budone1967

budone1967 Die Hard GCO Recruiter

This is my favorite quote in the article.

Lakia Smith is like many parents questioning why school districts across the state of Georgia must comply with the new state law allowing guns on campus.

"I think it's not a good thing because it being a safe zone I feel like there should be no weapons around children period you never know what might happen," said Smith.

:screwy: :screwy: Where exactly is this safe zone she speaks of???

11. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

Did you send it to the Savannah/Chatham Co. School board, the one which this story used?

12. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

Look how poor their fact checking is.

13. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

I did, but I'm not expecting a response. These sorts of agencies don't like to open dialogues with nuts like us. :screwy: I even gave them my phone numbers.

14. {TEX}Hawaii((

{TEX}Hawaii(( New Member

Update to this story:

http://www.wtoc.com/global/story.asp?s=13957728

15. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

They still don't have it right! I, and the rest of you owe them more letters!
    Carry inside of the school remains legal, while picking up or dropping off a student.

16. mark5019

mark5019 what me worry?

i may be wrong but i dont think you can carry in to the school

17. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

From the laws at the top of this page:

This code section does not apply to persons who have a valid Weapons Carry license (formerly the Georgia Firearms License) when such person has a weapon in the vehicle which is parked or in transit through the property or when the license holder carries or picks up a student at a school building, school function, or school property or on a bus or other transportation furnished by the school. (I'm not sure of the total legality actually carrying into a school building while picking up or dropping off a student, but it appears to be completely legal since the code does not say anything about not being allowed to enter the building while carrying. I wouldn't loiter around in the halls or cafeteria, but instead make a straight bee line to the office and back in order to drop off or pick up a student if you are required to do so.) This code section shall not apply to Teachers and other school personnel who are otherwise authorized to possess or carry weapons, provided that any such weapon is in a locked compartment of a motor vehicle or one which is in a locked container in or a locked firearms rack which is on a motor vehicle. (note that while you have the ability to park your car on the property (you can leave the weapon inside the car while you go somewhere else) and carry while picking up or dropping off students, outside of that you cannot carry on school property even if you have a license. If you park your car and get out with the weapon still on your person and you do not meet one of the carry exceptions (such as dropping off or picking up a student), you are breaking the law. Be careful!) (16-11-127.1)

Law? IDK But, I think this opinion would stand up in court. "Your Honor, I did my best to figure this out, and ya' know, GPDO had this great advice............."

18. Savvy Jack

Savvy Jack Banned

I think I will go eat at McDonolds today. Does this mean I will eat inside or outside?

C'mon you legal types, is it or is it not legal to enter a school building while packing heat by a GWL holder?

19. CoffeeMate

CoffeeMate Junior Butt Warmer

It is a ficticious wishful thinking zone that has been placed inside her head in order to gain her support and cooperation for turning American citizens, to include her own children, into property.