Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

Guns in the Basement

3K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  mls 
#1 ·
My wife is again trying to make me put my guns in the basement. She did this one time before when I was not home, and the things began rusting. I immediately moved them back up to the HVAC controlled upstairs and cleaned them thoroughly.

Now, she is suggesting that we get one of those goldenrod dehumidifiers to put in a guns safe so this will not occur and put them back in the basement.

Once this is accomplished, the final vestige of my existence will have been banished to the basement.

It will be like I never lived there.

:cry:

Any good arguments against this? So far, I have confidently asserted that dehumidifiers do not work below about 65 degreees, and the basement spends a good deal of time below that (no heat).

Anything else?

#2 ·
Show her who wears the pants in the house??? :bowdown:

#4 ·
Hmm...an attorney asking for good arguments...that just confirms the power than woman has over man...logic goes out the door, or in the basement as the case may be.

You could always appeal to her "shopping" side and tell her that WHEN the guns rust you'll just have to go out and spend more money on getting new ones. Weak, I know, but it's all I got when I have to argue with my wife.

#5 ·
I think, in order to address the matter, you have to start with finding out (or telling us if you already have found out) why she wants them in the basement in the first place. Is it security of firearms from children and others? There are other means to accomplish this (safe, locks, etc.). Is it that she doesn't like them and doesn't want to see them around? That's a tougher one. A safe puts them out of sight, but not necessarily out of mind. In other words, is their an alternative means of accomplishing whatever he goal is?

On the basement: You could point out that guns are not cheap, that you have a significant investment in them, and that it is not logical to store something valuable in an environment that is not good for them.

Dehumidifiers: If your wife reads this forum, you had better alert me to that fact immediately, because the following will not help your case. A Goldenrod (or similar product) used with a safe designed to accept them works very well. And it ought to work exceptionally well in a cool basement. They work by creating a temperature differential between the inside and outside of the safe, driving warm, humid air out of the top of the safe (warm, humid air being lighter than cool, dry air). If it's 60 degrees in the basement and 90 degrees in the safe, moisture will be driven out of the safe quite effectively. Of course, if your basement is prone to having standing water, that's another problem.

Another solution: I'll store them for you! 8)

#6 ·
Tell her if you take your guns to the basement that you could be considered an underground gun trafficer and arrested. Then start looking for things of hers that can be sotred in the basement instead.

#7 ·
Another solution: I'll store them for you!

i, too would like to offer my sevices.

ask her to store her jewlery in the basement so your
guns won't get lonely. :idea: :mrgreen:

#8 ·
Logic will never work with the wife.

If you want to keep your guns out of the basement, you need to take her mind off the issue. What will it take to keep the woman happy? You know her better than anyone, so do something that will keep you in her good graces and make her forget about the guns (at least for a little while).

My wife used to roll her eyes every time I went to a gun show (even though I never buy anything). So what did I do? I finally sold a gun I didn't want for $450 and came home and gave her a $100 bill. I told her that was her money and she could spend it on whatever she wanted.

Now when I tell her I'm going to a gun show, I don't hear a peep out of her. :wink:

#9 ·
My wife asked why in the world I need more than one gun. i asked why in the world she needs more than one pair of shoes (purses, earrings,...) All she said was..."good point..."

Offer to put her excess shoes (purses...) in the basement to make as much room upstairs as the vacant guns.

At least it may buy some time!!

#10 ·
Women

My wife of 30 years (in October this year) has in the last year become extremely anti gun! We used to go shooting as a family when the older kids were young :D (about 20 years ago) and I even bought her a remington nylon 66 that she was very accurate with 8) . She decided that shooting was not for her and that was the end of the nylon 66 :cry: . I continued to take the kids shooting (at least the older 6). :)

Last year my father finally decided to give me his German 8mm Mauser that he brought home from the war and all of his reloading equipment \:D/ . I still have yet to load 1 single round 15 months later! :banghead: Everytime I even think about reloading or shooting my wife comes up with a long list of honey do's and a boat load of complaints about how dangerous guns and shooting are!! :puke:

I have explained that after more that 45 years of shooting I have not had a single accident or injury :woohoo: and that it is safer that driving to the store. #-o She still says that guns kill people and that we don't need them or to shoot them! :soapbox:

I have given up trying to figure out the female mind! :screwy:

#13 ·
kkennett said:
[-( Offer to live in the basement with your guns?
:shock:

She might take me up on that one!

The basement is actually very dry, but it gets down into the forties in the wintertime. Everybody knows that metal at forty-five degrees or so will get condensation as the basement warms. At least that is what I think happened.

The issue is not so much anti-gun (she carries) as storage space in our tiny little house.

#14 ·
jrm said:
IDehumidifiers: If your wife reads this forum, you had better alert me to that fact immediately, because the following will not help your case. A Goldenrod (or similar product) used with a safe designed to accept them works very well. And it ought to work exceptionally well in a cool basement. They work by creating a temperature differential between the inside and outside of the safe, driving warm, humid air out of the top of the safe (warm, humid air being lighter than cool, dry air). If it's 60 degrees in the basement and 90 degrees in the safe, moisture will be driven out of the safe quite effectively.
OK, it sounds like the Goldenrod is different from the regular dehumidifier. I am not going to tell her that. :sly:

So, would these work when you store your safe outside in the carport?

#15 ·
Malum Prohibitum said:
So, would these work when you store your safe outside in the carport?
Not nearly as well as in your basement. :lol:

If you have your gunsafe outside in the carport, the air outside the safe already is going to be plenty warm in the summer. The Goldenrod would have to heat the air up even more in order to achieve the temperature gradient necessary. And, the Goldenrod has a thermostat in it so that it doesn't turn your gun safe into an oven. I don't know what temperature it cuts out at, but I can tell you that the safe in which I have one does not get "hot." Nothing inside is warm to the touch. It does just enough to drive off the humidity, and no more. So, I suspect a Goldenrod works only so well in a car port in the summer, and I doubt they sell many in Iraq.

#18 ·
My wife threatened to relocate my clothes (so she could have more space) which I only have a quarter of the walk in closet, so I theatened to relocate my foot. Just find somewhere (upstairs) for the safe and bolt it down. Our 17 year old caught me measuring his room one day, I told him "just making plans for future use" :lol: Good luck!

#19 ·
We've been having this same argument for years now! My gun safe is in the kitchen (the only part of the house I think will handle the weight), and that's where it's going to have to stay. Sometimes there just really isn't a good compromise. Our basement tends to have high humidity even with a dehumidifier going, and I have so much invested in my guns that I just can't afford to back down on this particular disagreement! I have a Colt .45 my father gave me that he'd put in a filing cabinet in his basement (he inherited it from a friend) and forgot about. It rusted badly and looks terrible. It still shoots just fine, amazingly, but it's a good example of what could happen.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.