Guns in School a Very Big Deal

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Malum Prohibitum, Dec 15, 2006.

1. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

http://www.wltribune.com/portals-code/l ... 3407&more=

We’ve heard lots of rumblings since we published the story about the Cataline Elementary student shot by a soft air pistol at school.

The chorus to the comments is It’s no big deal.

Really? It’s no big deal that one elementary school student shot another elementary school student at school?

It’s no big deal that the victim has a large welt on his leg? :roll:

It’s no big deal that pellet could have destroyed his eye?

Perhaps this would have been a far more tragic story. But the fact that he was hit in the leg and not the face does not lessen its importance.

It has been suggested that this event was not worthy of news coverage. We most certainly think it was.

This student was shot, after all. :shock: :lol:

It’s no big deal that a “soft†air pistol is a potentially dangerous weapon, and that it was brought to school? :-k

An intrepid Tribune employee purchased a soft air pistol at a local store — one of many where the weapons are available — and shot himself in the leg several times.

Needless to say, it hurt.
    :-s :lol:

The model he purchased — the cheapest — is packaged like a toy, but it is locked in a case, and for good reason.

It is shaped like a machine gun, :shock: :screwy: and fires hard plastic pellets the size of BBs at a velocity of 175 feet per second. Granted, that is 1/15th to 1/17th the velocity of a rifle or handgun, but it’s enough that the packaging warns the gun is dangerous from up to 300 feet.

It is automatic. :rotfl: That is, by holding down the trigger, you can fire a steady stream of pellets.

This is no Nerf gun. It is a weapon. :roll: And as such, it is a big deal when one child uses it on another child, especially at school. :roll: :roll:

:roll:

The packaging does warn that the gun is not a toy, and intended for those 16 years old and older.

We have all seen news stories of both children and adults being seriously harmed even killed for brandishing something that looked like a gun. You could not carry one of these guns into a bar or a restaurant or the public library. So we definitely don’t need them in schools.

Parents have every right to reasonably expect that when they send their kids off to school in the morning, they won’t be stabbed, bruised, burned, or shot. That’s why School District 27 bans any type of gun — toy, water, replica, air — knives, lighters, and matches.

This type of gun should not be in a backpack along with the coloring book and the banana.

Whether or not a child is taught about guns and their safe transportation, maintenance, and use is not the issue. The issue is having such a weapon at school. It is not acceptable, and the school district practice of indefinite suspension is the right response to the incident.

It’s up to parents whether or not to purchase air guns or firearms for their children, and to teach them about safety and responsibility. That’s their business. :idea:

It’s everyone’s business — and a pretty big deal — when that gun makes it into a building with dozens or hundreds of our children. :shock:

:D Emphases in bold and emoticons not in original news story :D

2. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Is It a Weapon?

The Georgia school zone law bans any "weapon," which is there defined to include "any pistol or revolver, or any weapon designed or intended to propel a missle of any kind..." O.C.G.A. 16-11-127.1 (a) (2).

Well, a drinking straw with a small bit of moistened paper wadded up in it is obviously an instrument designed to propel a missile. The missle is called a "spitball" and although the straw is not commonly called a blowgun, that's what it is. A miniature blowgun.

But is it a "weapon"? Does this law criminalize possession of an instrument or device that propels a missle, or only a WEAPON that propels a missile?

If the latter, then part of the definition of "weapon" would have to be that it is intended to cause pain and injury to the person struck with it. That is a fundamental characteristic of a weapon.

Does a modern 175 f.p.s. "AirSoft" gun qualify as a "weapon" ?
    It can cause pain and bruising. But that's not the point of using them, only an unavoidable consequence if you shoot them at each other in a game similar to paintball. Paintballs, by the way, weigh ten times as much as a little plastic AirSoft 6mm pellet, and they often travel at 300 f.p.s.

I have an old Air Soft pistol, a replica of a M1911, that shoots its pellets at about 400 f.p.s. It was made back in the days before Air Soft guns were intended to be shot at other people in a game. At 400 f.p.s., my gun was intended for plinking and indoor quickdraw practice. It will shoot completely through a soft aluminum beverage can. It will shatter a cheap pair of plastic-lens sunglasses.

3. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

P.S.

Just FYI, you'll notice that the definition of a "weapon" in the School Zone law also bans knives with a blade over 2". I have several plastic butter knives as part of my picnic plasticware set whose blades exceed that length. I wondered if the law had an exception for butter knives used in the school cafeteria. So I called my local school.

No. No exceptions. And OUR cafeteria doesn't have any knives. If the kids can't eat it with a fork and spoon, they just don't serve it!

Wow. I feel so much safer. I mean, I was worried about the kiddies for a while there. Thank God we have vigilant school officials opening packages of plastic utensils and removing the butter knives, but leaving the sporks, the tightly folded napkins, and the little paper packages of salt and pepper!

4. Macktee

Macktee New Member

I almost posted a comment about the editorial writer getting her panties in a wad over a pretty small incident, and then realized it happened in Canada.

So, it's quite possible the editorial writer got his panties in a wad over it...

Maybe we're too quick to condemn the newspaper because, as we all know, you really can shoot your eye out with a bb gun......!!!

It's truly sad to see a once great country give in to anti-gun hysteria be it Canada, England, the Aussies, the Kiwis or even California. Sad indeed.

5. zxd9

zxd9 Active Member

Re: P.S.

Well that explains why when I go have lunch with my kids at school all they have is various forms of mush that goes well with a spork! They serve rolls but no butter, BECAUSE YOU CAN'T HAVE A KNIFE!