Gunman stopped in Springfield, MO Walmart?

Discussion in 'In the News' started by timbrubaker, Aug 8, 2019.

1. timbrubaker

timbrubaker I may be slow, but I sure am ugly

KTTS reports:
    Springfield Police were called to an active shooter situation Thursday afternoon where a man carrying a tactical rifle, a sidearm, and wearing body armor and military-style fatigues walked into the Walmart Neighborhood Market at Republic and Golden.

Lieutenant Mike Lucas says the man, who is 20, pulled up to the store around 4:10 p.m., got out of his vehicle and walked through the store.

The store manager pulled the fire alarm, and shoppers ran outside into the parking lot.

Lucas says the man was using his cellphone to video himself as he pushed a shopping cart through the store, talking to people at the same time.

Police aren’t sure what threats he made.

2. timbrubaker

I think there is much more to this story. It does not seem like this guy intended any harm, but at best has a poor sense of timing.

3. timbrubaker

Trying to capture a link from KTTS.

4. timbrubaker

Story is the lead at KTTS.com

5. timbrubaker

Off duty firefighter with ccw held him at gunpoint until police arrived.

6. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

So, was he just attention-whoring?

An "open carry" activist.

"Because I can, and it's my right, THAT'S why!"

I wonder what motivated him to pull a stunt like that?

7. timbrubaker

15 seconds of fame maybe?

8. Darklock

Darklock Active Member

so if he was not threatening anybody, will the firefighter get charged with brandishing?
    not saying he should, just asking.

ejmoosa likes this.
  9. smn

smn Active Member

So how much qualified immunity can a firefighter receive?

10. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

https://www.ktts.com/2019/08/08/heavily-armed-man-terrifies-shoppers-at-springfield-walmart/
    "Heavily armed" meaning what exactly? What's a "tactical rifle?" His clothing looks like something many people would wear without being conflated with the military. And he's definitely not wearing "body armor." It's a load bearing vest.

One could almost get the impression the writer was embellishing his story with a flair for the dramatic. Like so many of them do.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
    timbrubaker likes this.
  11. moe mensale

I tend to agree. A dumbass 20 y/o. But now maybe someone should look into his background and see if he's one of those proverbial ticking time bombs that so many times fall through the cracks because no one paid attention.

12. DKW

DKW Active Member

So here is a theoretical question.

With the recent mass shooting with Assault Weapons/Modern Sporting Rifles or whatever you want to call them and everyone on hightend alert. If i as a gun owner (legally able to carry based on applicable state law), could i shoot him based on a fear for my life based on current events?

I can reasonably see somebody getting a pass for this from the legal system?

Thoughts?

13. timbrubaker

Whenever I sense the need to ratchet up my kit, I carry a compact rifle w/folding stock in a small backpack along with extra mags, IFAK, etc. Takes a few seconds to deploy, but hopefully I'll get that much lead time to respond. Works for me. Had this guy done that, he'd be sucking down chili dogs at Sonic right now, and no one would know who he was.

ejmoosa likes this.
  14. timbrubaker

I'm no lawyer, but I think that would be a steep hill to climb. What if this guy had shot the fireman after he pointed a gun at him? Unlikely, but would that have been justified?

15. NTA

NTA Well-Known Member

Eager to see what happens to the 20yr old youtube influencer.

If there are no consequences, wonder what his next event will be ?

16. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Well-Known Member

He's 20 years old and originally from Portland, OR. I would think that maybe he was a Leftist activist trying to cause a panic to get more laws passed, but he seems to have a history on his Instagram (now private) account of gun ownership. So, I suspect this was just a "hey - I'm just legally carrying to defend myself - there are bad guys with long guns in Walmarts so the good guys need them too" kind of dumb idea.

17. moe mensale

Oh, nooooos! The kid appears to have Russian background! :panic: He must have been radicalized by Trump. :righton:

https://www.foxnews.com/us/missouri-suspect-idd
    Why do people post those idiotic pictures of themselves on the internet? :shakehead:

18. moe mensale

Fear based on what? He openly carried a weapon? That's perfectly legal in MO and there's no age restrictions. From the article I linked in the prior post no one has said what his motivations were nor how he was carrying his rifle and pistol. Was he waving them around? Pointing them at specific individuals? Or was the rifle slung and the pistol holstered and he was just being a moron playing a potentially deadly game? We don't know yet.

Granted, the rifle might add a bit of trepidation to the equation but just to say you feared an open carrier and shot him might leave you on very shaky ground.

19. DKW

DKW Active Member

Based on less that 1 week prior someone came into a Wal-Mart with an AK-47 type rifle and murdered 20+ people.

I might not want to find out. like people say, better to be judged by 12 than carrried by 6.

20. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

I don't think any of us who are regular readers and chatters at gun websites like this could shoot him, because WE have been exposed to the phenomena of attention whoring open carry activists that dress like commandos and carry AK-47s, ARs and combat shotguns out in public.

Some people even hold them loosely in their hands --not slung or they hold them to steady them even while using the front-carry sling. But the key facts are that (1) they do not shoulder them, and
    (2) they do not point them at people.

ejmoosa likes this.