Gunman Robs Post Office

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Sharky, Jun 6, 2007.

1. Sharky

Sharky New Member

Gunman Robs Post Office

POSTED: 10:13 am EDT June 6, 2007

RALPH, Ala. -- A gunman robbed a small post office in rural Tuscaloosa County early yesterday and made off with cash. Now, the U.S. Postal Service is offering a $50,000 reward for information leading to his capture.

The holdup happened around 8:15 a.m. at the Ralph post office. The tiny community is located in southwest Tuscaloosa County, not far from the Greene County line.

A postal inspector said the suspect jumped over a counter and snatched money from a cash register, then fled in a dark-colored Chevrolet, possibly an Impala or Lumina.

Authorities said there were no customers inside the facility and no one was injured.

2. pro2am

pro2am New Member

$50K is probably a lot more than he got away with.

3. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Isn't robbing the post office a federal crime? I know that stealing or interfering with mail is.

4. Macktee

Macktee New Member

Probably waaaaaaaaay more! They don't sell that many stamps.

And, like Adam pointed out, federal crime. FBI is looking for his sorry ass. I wouldn't want to be him! When they do catch him (and you know they will because he's obviously not very smart), it's many, many years in a federal penitentiary. Not really a nice place in which to grow old...

Dumbass!

5. MLS 4506

MLS 4506 Active Member

:shock: but,but,but.........a post office is a gun free zone,how could this happen :shakehead:

6. jgullock

jgullock Active Member

I agree. I call bullshite! Better check Snopes...

7. jgullock

jgullock Active Member

There's another code section that specifically makes P.O.s a felony.

8. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

What you post is a regulation. Look at the statute cited as authority, which has an "any lawful purpose" type of exception.

Can regulations make something a felony?

Are regulations valid when they exceed their authorizing legislation?

Does this regulation exceed its authorizing legislation?

:-k

9. jgullock

jgullock Active Member

GAGunOwner - no apology required sir. I had to step away from the puter so I couldn't get back to you quickly.

Malum - I deal with environmental laws daily (40 CFR 260 series, hazardous waste). If you violate those you get a huge fine and will go away on a long, all expenses paid vacation, courtesy of GAEPD or the feds.

Here's something I found a little while back at Buckeye firearms. As usual it is in legalese so I'll leave the final judgement to the lawyer types here. I just know I wouldn't want to be the test case! :shock: :

http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/content-96.html

10. Malum Prohibitum

Well, I notice one thing that is incorrect right off. The authority for the reg is in title 18, and he claims it is not.

11. Malum Prohibitum

So, we would need to look at all of those statutes (including the one in title 39).

12. Malum Prohibitum

I am sure you will find that those regulations are each authorized by federal legislation. Otherwise, they would be invalid.

I hope I am making sense.

13. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Who the hell steals from a post office? What a retard.

14. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 1:16

Ain't it the truth.

15. Macktee

Macktee New Member

Not being all that brave, I leave it in the car whenever I go inside the PO.

Probably just bringing a firearm onto the property is a violation, but it's one unlikely to be discovered. As we've learned from a fairly large number of our elected officials, it ain't a crime unless you get caught doing it...

Based on the probability that carry inside a PO is indeed a federal offense, I simply don't do it.

Hopefully, I'll always remember to disarm before going inside the PO. Failure to do so, in combination with a postal inspector or other LEO type catching me printing, would almost certainly result in me really be going "inside".....! :jail:

Not a pleasant prospect! No, no, no. Not at all...!!! Ergo (I don't mean to be condescending, but that means "therefore"), I try to always remember not carry inside the post office. Or any other federal facility such as the Social Security office, the food stamp place, the free clinic, the STD clinic, the methadone clinic, the welfare office, the unemployment office, the place where they give away government cheese (and other "surplus" foodstuffs we buy at a premium from farmers who produce more than they can sell on the open market) and all the other various government locations, facilities, monuments, parks, museums, reservations, cemeteries and whateverthehellelse they may have..... :righton:

16. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

After all it is unheard of for postal employees to bring firearms inside the post office, let alone shoot up the place. :roll: