Gun Store in Chamblee

Discussion in 'Ranges, Dealers & Smiths' started by Boy Racer, Sep 10, 2007.

1. Boy Racer

Boy Racer New Member

I like this place more and more every time I go. Something about the atmosphere in there really makes me laugh.

I was in there at lunch today, drooling for no good reason, fondling the RIA .45 in the case ($419)... but there was this little guy in there who was cracking me up. He was buying a rifle, I believe a .300 Win Mag or .300 WBY mag, I'm not sure which, and was probing the salesman about its effective range. 2500 yards was what the guy quoted him.

He had a calculator on the counter as he was filling out some paperwork, asking me 'how many feet in a mile, how many yards in a foot, etc. We came up with 2500 yards was 1.42 miles. I pointed out to him that at that range, he'd have to compensate for the curvature in the earth to make a clean shot.

Then he asked the salesman - 'What's the next step up from the .300?'

The reply was a Barrett .50 cal.

'How far?'

'4000+ yards' was the response.

'How much?'

He could have one in a couple of days for $8000 OTD.

The salesman called around and couldn't find one without an 8+ week wait time, and the guy didn't seem interested in waiting. But it seemed to me and everyone else in earshot (including the uniformed Chamblee cop*) that the guy would have made the impulse buy right then and there had the weapon been available.

The other salesman and I were just shaking our heads and laughing. Was he after those elusive N. Georgia super-squirrels, the ones that can be seen from 2+ miles and wore armor in the trees?

*The cop was of Asian descent, and talked about the time he went, in uniform, to get his GFL. The clerk asked him for his naturalization paperwork, and the guy was just floored. He said 'I'm trusted to carry all day long at work...!'

Ahh... there's 1000 stories in the Peachtree city.

2. viper32cm

viper32cm New Member

The range numbers the guy was quoted sound way off.

3. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Yea, those don't sound like effective ranges. Not to say it couldn't fly that far....unobstructed....if fired a certain way....more like ineffective ranges.

4. Jmark

Jmark Active Member

Could have sold him an Armalite AR-50. It's not like Barret are the only ones out there who make them.

5. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I've been in there a few times. They used to have PMC bronze 55gr FMJBT ammo for $4.99 per 20. I think that it's up to 6.99 now though. They always seem friendly, and have more inventory than you would think for a store that small.

6. tace

tace New Member

Where is this shop? What is it called?

CDNN had the Steyr HS50s for $3500. I dunno if they still do.

7. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

The name is "The Gun Store". It's on Buford Hwy in Doraville. (770)451-4239. They are a couple miles ITP on your left (if heading South). If you get to the light at Chamblee Tucker, you went a block too far.

8. ber950

ber950 Active Member

Isn't that the class III dealer who cut loose on the burglers with a M-16 :?:

Killed them all but one. Shot his foot off.

9. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I don't think so. I don't recall seeing anything class III in the store.

10. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

Oh. I've been by there before, but never went in.

11. jeepsterwannabe

jeepsterwannabe New Member

been there before, good people and lots O' inventory. Everytime I went there, there was always an officer or 2 in there shopping and they were the good ones it seemed, you know the ones who appreciate armed law-abiders.

12. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

:?:

13. triggerman357

triggerman357 Active Member

I try to go by there once a month to do a little window shopping. The Asian lady is a trip. Don't mind showing you any gun even though she know you're not gonna buy it.

14. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

That's how they get sales! :D I handled an Hk Tactical, and now, one day, I am gonna buy it!

15. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

16. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Shooting Intruders

I dont know which gun shop it was, but about 25 years ago somewhere in the Atlanta area. A gun shop got burglarized a number of times within a week, so the store owner slept in the back room with an M16. One night he hears breaking glass and goes to meet some strangers doing some unauthorized shopping. Somehow there's a series of loud noises and next thing, what do you know, no more burglars standing!

17. Sgt.B

Sgt.B New Member

Real quick!! How many minutes of angle in 4000 yards? :lol:
    $8000 Barrett 50 BMG-- might be a 3 or 4 MOA rifle.
    Good story there Boy Racer.

18. broncobisley1

broncobisley1 New Member

Re: Shooting Intruders

That gun store is no longer around. It was on Lawrenceville Hwy, in the shopping center between where Home Depot is and North Druid Hills road.