Gun Site Hills

Discussion in 'Ranges, Dealers & Smiths' started by jkwhitman, Jul 6, 2016.

1. jkwhitman

jkwhitman New Member

If you don't mind being bossed around, preached at, condescended to, micro managed, bragged-at, or even ripped off or downright man-handled in order to get to shoot large bore out to 700 yards this is certainly the place for you. A little Chief goes a very long way. It wasn't that way once upon a time (sad) but we'll never go back. Gina's possibly the only saving grace - very cordial and considerate.

2. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

Okay, I'll be sure to never go there, and welcome to GPDO!

3. awanatech

awanatech Well-Known Member

Ok. Welcome to GPDO

4. Dirty J

Dirty J BANNED (not really)

I've heard this before. Sad. Seems like an otherwise good spot to shoot.

While it's not steel... I just had a great time shooting out to 600yd at the CMP range in Alabama. Highly recommend.

5. jkwhitman

jkwhitman New Member

@Dirty J
    Thanks. I wondered about the CMP. Don't know if they'll accept BMGs.

This may be off-topic, but a pal told me about SCOTG(?) South Carolina Official Training Ground, in Aiken, SC for BMGs. Closer to me in Winder, but have heard nothing else about it.

Cheers.

6. btseagle98

btseagle98 Member

Does the OPs review pretty much sum up everyone's experience or does anyone have a positive review?

7. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

I'd like to go

I have a friend in South Carolina who wants to shoot rifles with me at a minimum of 200 yards.
    He doesn't know of any ranges near him, and he doesn't want to drive all the way to Atlanta.

I suggested we meet at some range in eastern GA, close to SC, and a reasonable drive for both of us (he's near Columbia).

Would Gun Site Hills be such a range?

We don't need coaching, nor do we want to pay for lessons. Just want to try ringing some steel at 200, 300, 400 and MAYBE 500 or 600 yards with some old milsurps, an M1 Garand and cheap Korean ammo, a .30-06 bolt gun, and a .243 deer rifle, etc. Nothing fancy.

It's $25 per shooter for a couple hour session, right?

8. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

Personally I think the OP had a hair across his ass over someone or something at Gun Site Hills. Comes here to bad mouth GSH on his first post and hasn't been back since his second post which was also his last time on the forum. His attempt at creating a sh*tfest failed. Sour grapes. :popcorn:

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
  9. jkwhitman

jkwhitman New Member

@gunsmoker: I was a regular at Gun Site Hills many years ago, but things have changed dramatically since: The "lesson" was ostensibly free but mandatory, so we had to sit through 1.5 hours of that. We were charged $150 for just my son and I, and we had to set our own targets afoot in 2 foot grass while proprietor rode around us in a mule. I couldn't shoot my M1A. Reason? There was a little steel in the bullets. 'Bad for the target holders'. .50BMG was ok though - Go figure. Almost 4 hours and I got off 8 rounds before rain-out. Three out of five folks I've talked to since had similar experiences, not including @Dirty J's anecdotals. As I posted before, SC Official Training Ground in Aiken, SC is supposed to be nice. I've never been there, but plan on it as they allow BMGs. Elbert County Gun Club in Elberton: They offer sporting clays, trap, and an archery range, 400yd rifle, 50yd pistol, and new 100yd rimfire and action pistol ranges. Last time I renewed, annual fee was $125. But they used to allow visitors on Thu.-Sun. for a $10 fee. Pretty cool shooting clays over the abandoned quarry. Very nice folks. Nice clubhouse. All well-maintained. You can order stuff from gun, parts and ammo catalogs, etc. 4H and JROTC are regulars as well as Annapolis cadets. I wish I knew of more close to the line for you. Cheers

Motopackin likes this.
  10. jkwhitman

jkwhitman New Member

That post was meant as a warning to others and yes, a review, and an accurate one. While you've been blogging, I've been serving my country then in the hospital since then so I haven't had much time to indulge your sanctimonious comments or more worthwhile GPO pursuits. Not to worry, as this is my very last post. More to the point and on your level: Have a ****ful day, prick.

11. moe mensale

You join GPO, make a somewhat scurrilous post (and your only posts) about a range because you apparently don't like how they manage said range, disappear for a year and 13 hours after I post my comment questioning your motives you show up again and call me a prick? Really? I'm sure that's just coincidence. :popcorn:

There was nothing sanctimonious about my comment at all. Just my take on how and what you posted. GSH is still there, still in business and you still have an attitude about them. For the record, I've never been to GSH, I'm not defending them in the least and I don't know if what you posted is true or not.

Regardless, you're gone again now. Maybe you'll come back in another year. If you do, you can listen to my little tune I'm playing for you. :-({|=

12. ROLLIN

ROLLIN New Member

I Spent a couple of days with Chief last month, and I agree with most here....... sort of......

He IS a curmudgeon, isn't he?????? But as an oftentimes curmudgeon myself, I can handle it.

I would have ONE question for you whiners: DID CHIEF HELP YOU SHOOT BETTER ????

THAT's what ya paid for, eh?

He sure helped me along to much better precision shooting. I'm a happy camper.

And a much better shooter.

13. ROLLIN

ROLLIN New Member

While I know close to exactly how you feel........I let all that blow right over me.

I'm there to learn. He's there to teach. If only 5% or so is worthwhile.......it's worthwhile.

I left a much improved shooter, and I continue to improve as I apply his lessons to my shooting.......

It's a HOOT, getting better.

Wish I could have known that earlier period, but it's OK.......the man teaches me, and that's what I'm there for. Two days with him was like a year left to my own, and at 68 I'm too old to get better on my own.......ya know?

Haven't had the pleasure of Gina, yet.......next visit, hope I can bring Jan along, she and Gina can go shop while Chief beats me into being a better shooter..........again.

14. ROLLIN

ROLLIN New Member

Imagine.......$150 for JUST your son and you....... That was either 1950 pricing value or you're expecting a bit much, eh?

Safety IS boring, isn't it? But ONE SPLIT SECOND of excitement can cost you dearly, eh?

Chief has his rules on Green Tips, although many green tips are a joke, eh? Rules is rules.

I spent two days with Chief, and only shot about 22-23 rounds...........the BEST hits I've ever had, by the time it was done. 6.5 Creedmoor, making the steel sing!

15. moe mensale

I didn't resurrect this! :lol:

It's been another year. Will he stay true to his word? Or will he come back and call me a prick again and continue his bitchfest? Ah, who cares?

16. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

It's amazing how a dead thread can suddenly come back to life without warning.

17. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

8)

Nemo

Necro Post Meme 1.jpg

ROLLIN likes this.