Gun show in Gwinnett this weekend! GCO needs volunteers!

Discussion in 'GENERAL EVENTS' started by budder, Jul 11, 2007.

1. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

This weekend, there is a gun show at the North Atlanta Trade Center and GCO needs your help staffing our table! We will have banners, flyers, and membership applications, but we need you guys to provide the smiling faces, enthusiasm, and knowledge of what GCO has done.

The show this weekend will be from 9-5 on Saturday and 10-5 on Sunday. We can be there from 7:30AM on Saturday and 9AM on Sunday for setup, as well as Friday from 3PM-8PM. If all the materials are ready in time, I'd like to have everything set up Friday and sleep in for an extra hour Saturday. We shouldn't need more than 30 minutes to set everything up, but it should definitely be done on Friday, well before the show.

If you can help out for even an hour or two, it would be really helpful. Just put your name down here or give me a call at 6/699 3624 . I'm going to try to be there on Friday for setup and both weekend days to fill in any gaps. Ideally, we need two volunteers at all times since we don't want GCO represented by a hungry person that wet himself :)

Code:

Friday Setup (need one more person for 30 minutes between 3 and 8)
    Name               Availability
    Dick R.

Weekend gun show (need two people per slot)
    Time             Saturday                      Sunday
    09-10            ber950/budder                 XXXXXX
    10-11            ber950/Sharky&fiancee         Dick R./Russell R.
    11-12            ber950/Sharky&fiancee         Dick R./Russell R.
    12-01            Purge/budder                  wsweeks2/larryg2
    01-02            Purge/tony218                 wsweeks2/Rammstein
    02-03            tony218/budder                Macktee/tony218
    03-04            triggerman357/Thorsen         Macktee/tony218
    04-05            triggerman357/Thorsen         Macktee/foshizzle

Remember, the more members we have, the faster we can change Georgia's terrible laws and get the counties and cities to follow them! Please volunteer some time, even if it's just for an hour.

budder
    North Metro Gun Show Coordinator.

EDIT: Only the volunteers that help open the show will get free admission, so if you'd like to see the show for cheap (just have to volunteer early!), put your name down for a Saturday morning slot. We may also be able to let volunteers in for free in the afternoon if they are covering multiple hour shifts. It all depends on how Eastman wants to run things, but I will do my best for you guys.

EDIT2: Also, I've put myself down for the morning shift on Saturday so none of you have to wake up early. Don't tell me you guys don't want to go to a gun show!

EDIT3: Thanks to the mods for the sticky.

EDIT4: I've spoken with Ed Stone and GCO will pay for your admission if you're working the booth and don't otherwise get in for free. However, I would urge you all to consider your admission as a small donation to GCO so that we don't put a drain on the coffers. That said, if you want to be reimbursed by GCO, no one will judge you; we all know how money can be tight sometimes.

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

3. budder

I just got a call from ber950 and we have our first GPDO volunteer! We would love to have some volunteers that aren't already Gun Show Coordinators, so please put your name down. ;) GCO is a grassroots effort, so we need support from everyone, not just the people with fancy titles. Besides, I always thought people with titles were a bit arrogant and annoying.

4. Sharky

Sharky New Member

Budder,

I will be able to help out Saturday. Not sure what time yet, need to check with my other half first about plans.

I should be able to tell you what time frame I am available tomorrow!

5. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

I'll be able to be there from 12-2 on Sunday.

6. budder

Excellent! Thank you for volunteering, wsweeks2! Now who wants to help our friend wsweeks2 out? He was brave enough to sign up at the beginning so you don't have to be first. It's nice and easy now :)

Sharky, awesome! Let me know what time you're available and I'll add you to the list.

Remember, we need two people per timeslot!

7. Thorsen

Thorsen New Member

I am more than willing to come help out, but I don't know what experience level with GCO you are desiring as I just joined the organization this last week. I have read the associated website, and this one, pretty thoroughly, so I should be able to answer most questions. Let me know if you would like me to come help out and I'll throw out some times.

8. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

I had the same concerns Thorsen as I joined about 2 months ago. Just having a presence and trying to recruit new members will be worth it though. We're all in this together so by showing up that's a start.

And this is going to be a stupid question, but I'm assuming the gun show is off limits for carry as it is a public gathering.

9. Sharky

Sharky New Member

Budder......My fiance and I can be there from 10 AM-12 noon on Saturday. She is slowly getting involved, so if you guys dont mind she will be hanging with us. She even heard about the gun show on the radio and was waiting for me to ask her to go! So I am hoping to keep her involved so she gets more comfortable. Plus she's cute and can attract people!! :wink:

10. Sharky

Sharky New Member

I also have the same question about carrying.

Are we allowed to open carry? Do we have to check in with the locals at the door and get our guns checked and locked open?

11. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

I would think that manning the Georgia Carry booth would have more of an impact if we were carrying, but with Georgia's goofy laws, who knows if it is possible.

Even in Maryland those working the booths at gun shows can carry. It will truly be sad if what I feel is legal is confirmed.

12. budder

Personal firearms are prohibited. This includes ammunition and loaded mags.

If you want to bring something to try and sell or trade (not on your GCO time!), the people at the door will tie it. I would also keep it encased unless showing it, though I don't think that's an actual rule. Regardless, we should be setting examples.

13. budder

Thorsen, you don't need to know everything GCO has done. Just bring your enthusiasm for fixing GA's laws and a smiling face. Also, if you have a cute fiancee, too, it wouldn't hurt ;)

Sharky, you and the fiancee have been added. Thank you both very much for volunteering!

14. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

I never thought I would say this, but that's worse than the PR of MD. Oh well. Time to change the law.

15. budder

I don't think this actually qualifies as a PG. The restriction is one of Eastman Gun Shows' rules, so there's not too much we can do. I understand why they have the rule, though I do wish holstered and tied weapons were allowed, as they would help promote our cause.

Eastman Gun Show rules for Dealers. And yes, we're considered dealers because we are getting a table.

EDIT: If you guys are going to come and not help with the table or wish to come back in after your shift as an individual, here are the rules for the public, which go over how to secure your firearm. DO NOT BRING ANY AMMO!

16. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

I'll probably be able to do one of the days...I'll get back to you when I can commit.

17. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

You can hang with me if you want Ramm.

18. Thorsen

Thorsen New Member

Heh, tried to talk my wife into going with me. She just rolled her eyes and said "have fun". I think she wants me out of her hair this weekend.

Put me down for whatever times you need covered as I have both days this weekend free. If you end up needing coverage for both Saturday and Sunday, feel free to plug me in for both days.

19. Purge

Purge New Member

Put me done for 12-2pm Sat.

Can I get in for free?