Gun shops that prohibit carry?

Discussion in 'Places Off-Limits' started by GAGunOwner, May 16, 2006.

1. Woody_the_Infidel

Woody_the_Infidel New Member

Most stores i go in to seem to have a "no loaded firearms" sign at the front door.

2. jmorin

jmorin New Member

Not that I agree with it, but I think the reasoning is that gun ranges/shops obviously see a lot more traffic of people carrying firearms than any other retail outlet, and thus the probability of an "accident" is much higher. Most of us know the cardinal rules of gun handling, but there's still sloppy/inexperienced gun owners out there. A gun shop owner's worst nightmare is some clown walking in with a loaded gun to be repaired. He walks up to the counter, pulls it of his bag (finger on the trigger), and starts to fumble with the gun as he explains the problems he's having and BOOM! Hell, there are some in law enforcement that can't keep their guns under control...

http://tinyurl.com/jvykv

3. wwomack

wwomack New Member

When I see a "No Loaded Guns" sign at a dealer I always assume that this means not to bring in any loaded guns for service or to sell. I assume that this statement is not meant to apply to my concealed handgun.

Of course, it probably is meant to apply to CCW as well but I try not to let that bother me. I just browse there and then make my purchases at a different smaller gun shop that doesn't have a sign outside that effectively says "We don't trust you".

4. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Most of them also hae a requirement that any gun carried inside must be cased or carried openly. That rules out concealed carry.

5. ber950

ber950 Active Member

If I could find a shop without a No Loaded Guns sign locally that is where I would do ALL my business.

If I ever have real money again I am going to order a gun at the local shop and go in to pick it up open carrying and see if the owner wants to insult me and lose a sale.

6. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired New Member

You know this has me thinking... If we can't even get the guys we buy our guns from to recognize the legality of the GFL, what hope do we have of getting anyone else to? I would push the issue with the Gun store owner and if he refused to make it clear that his sign does not apply to STATE GOVERNMENT LICENSE holders then I would make it clear to him that I would be doing all my business elsewhere AND that I would be telling every gun owner I know to do the same. Perhaps we should start a “Do not shop†list for gun stores that refuse to recognize us…

7. EagleEye920

EagleEye920 Member

While not wanting to sound like a liberal, God help me, I can at least understand this policy. When I first saw a sign like this, and when I went to my first gun show where they zip tie your gun open, and when I heard that the NRA conventions are supposedly "no guns allowed", I was like, "WHAT??!!??? This is ludicrous!!!" hehe. Then I tried to figure out why these policies were there.

After going to several gun stores and ranges, I realized that the sole purpose of stores, NRA conventions, and gun shows, is to talk about, hold, test, feel, dry fire, examine, whatever, guns. A place where people will be pointing guns, trying out triggers, examining guns, etc is probably the ONLY place I can understand why they want "no loaded guns".

As we're looking at other guns, the common instinct is to "pull out your piece" and talk about it with the salesman or other customer standing next to you.

I grew in the south georgia and always shot with family members or close friends on my dad's property. Very "controlled" environment. When I first went to a gun show, store or range, now I'm with a bunch of people that I DON'T know, and may not go by the same safety rules I do, and sometimes even look the like bad guys :shock:

Last night at the range, there was a lady there with her "man" a few lanes over who kept pointing her gun in our direction after she was "finished" with her magazine. I was not comformtable with this and was glad when they left. I'd have no problem sitting at a restaurant with her or at a public gathering with her while we were both carrying, as long as she didn't start fooling with her gun unless the need arose.

So, I see the benefits of this sign but maybe it should be changed to something like, "No Unholstered Loaded Guns" or something to that effect.

8. Malum Prohibitum

That would be fine.

9. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Good catch, I totally missed that...

10. EagleEye920

EagleEye920 Member

Exactly!! the restaurant part as well. most of the ones I go to are no-no's because they serve alcohol. :roll:

But the more I talk about it, the more frustrated I get :banghead: , and the more likely I'll get up and do something about it! :righton:

11. pballfreeek

pballfreeek New Member

I always assume those signs do not apply to me just as would anyplace else that has a sign up. Of course if they ask me to leave I will.

12. geaux_tigers

geaux_tigers Member

I recently went into a gun store and didn't notice any signs posted indicating they dissaproved of concealed carry in the store. I asked the salesperson about it and she replied that there would be no way for them to know if I did. :?

This, mind you, was after she pointed a gun I was asking her about in my direction. She also couldn't understand why someone with a GFL would want to carry a pistol that was very compact.

13. Malum Prohibitum

Chuck's Firearms in Buckhead has no such sign, and the clerk asked to see my gun when I was holster shopping. I sheepishly replied that I had left it in the car.

I bought the holster from them.

They have a great book section, too, if you like books on African safaris and such.

Ruark, Capstick, Bell (yeah, Karamojo Bell "Wanderings of an Elephant Hunter), Boddington, and the like.

I like books as much as guns, which makes this a great store for me. They also have an impressive Cape Buffalo mount on the wall, shot by the owner's father (Chuck).

It's just off Peachtree and worth a visit if you are in Buckhead.

14. USMC - Retired

The gun shop closest to my house has a "No Loaded Firearms" sign. They don't care if you carry, they just don't want you to be able to use it... :?

PS: I avoid this store anyway due to the fact that they support the local soccer, baseball and football teams through sponsorships but refuse to do the same for the local 4-H Shooting Team and High School ROTC Shooting Team. :x

15. Mafuta54

Mafuta54 Active Member

Local Gun Shop

USMC said: "The gun shop closest to my house has a "No Loaded Firearms" sign. They don't care if you carry, they just don't want you to be able to use it...

PS: I avoid this store anyway due to the fact that they support the local soccer, baseball and football teams through sponsorships but refuse to do the same for the local 4-H Shooting Team and High School ROTC Shooting Team."

Which one is this? It almost sounds like adventure outdoors.

16. USMC - Retired

Nope, it is the local Solo Archery shop. They also have an indoor range and charge an outragous amount for range time so they don't get much use of it either.

17. Biscuitsjam

Biscuitsjam New Member

Brigade Quartermaster in Cobb County wants you to check all firearms at the door.

I'm not so sure that is practical either.

Edit: I was tired when I posted this. Brigade Quartermaster is not a gun dealer... Still a silly policy.