Gun shops doing FFL transfers - generally

Discussion in 'Ranges, Dealers & Smiths' started by Boy Racer, Sep 6, 2007.

1. Boy Racer

Boy Racer New Member

How do gun shops feel about handling FFL transfers, in general? Is it a mixed bag of reactions?

Imagine this scenario: let's say I find an online retailer who can deliver to me an RIA 1911 for sub-$400 delivered. Would the local store down the street get bent out of shape if I used them to transfer the weapon, seeing as how they sell 1911-style pistols? Even though their 1911s are 2X-3X the price I found?

'Cause I'm thinking about getting a sub-$400 1911-style pistol! :D

2. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

It doesn't hurt to ask. When I got my lower transferred, I asked two pawn shops about it. One of them said "we don't feel like it" and the other one was happy to do it. Like I said, just ask. Did you think about letting them know about the price you found online and haggle with them a little bit? Surely they can't be too similar if the price difference is that drastic.

3. Ashe

Ashe Active Member

It's also good to get it done at a location that they don't sell the particular firearm you want. That way you can tell them that they didn't carry the gun you wanted.

4. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

You may PM Chris (CDTracing). I though he said in apost that he does FFL transfers.

5. ThetaReactor

ThetaReactor Active Member

The guys at Ed's weren't particularly thrilled at transferring a CDNN piece for me, but they didn't give me any hassle about it. I've bought enough from them that they really have no right to bitch, and it wasn't a Glock or Mossberg or something that they regularly stock.

6. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Use forum member and GCO member cdtracing. :wink: Let him know if you are a forum member and/or a GCO member.

7. lsu_nonleg

lsu_nonleg New Member

Make sure you offer to pay 'em, of course. If they don't have to carry the inventory and can make some cash, why not? Of course, they're more likely to jump at getting a percentage of an M1A transfer than making $20 off of a $400 1911.

CDTracing live in Atlanta Metro?

8. Wiley

Wiley Guest

Or you could go to one of the gunshows and just buy an RIA there. Unless it's super-sub-$400.

Frank's Guns is good and at the Gwinette show I've seen another dealer equivelent to Frank's. They tend to keep each other in line. :lol:

9. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Canton, iirc.

10. Boy Racer

Boy Racer New Member

I would, I would really love to go to a local show, but so far every single show this year I've been out of town and couldn't go.

Are there any dealers within 90 minutes drive of Roswell that sell RIA .45s? For competitive prices?

11. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I just got back from Bullseye in Cumming. They have a RIA 1911 for $399 in the case.

12. Bushhogs

Bushhogs New Member

I have the Rock Island 1911 for 377.99 on my shelf. I wont even charge you freight. LOL

Big Woods Goods

Bill

13. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

Tell you what: do the 4473 for free, and I bet you'll swing him ;)

14. Bushhogs

Bushhogs New Member

If the firearm is purchased at my store there is no charge for the ATF check.

BWG

15. Boy Racer

Boy Racer New Member

:evil: You bastard! And you know I'll be there Saturday morning, dropping off my Mauser and Krag!!! How can you tempt a man like this?!?

And... AND: Monday's my birthday!!! So after visiting your shop, we're going to my in law's house in AL to shoot my .22 rifle and wheel guns for a few hours. :-k Why not take my new .45 with me?

NO!!! AAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!

I can't buy a new gun right now. I can't buy a new gun right now.

It really is a sickness... isn't it?

16. merlock

merlock Active Member

:devil: Yes, you can! :devil:

17. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I say, do it !!!

18. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

:evil: You bastard! And you know I'll be there Saturday morning, dropping off my Mauser and Krag!!! How can you tempt a man like this?!?

And... AND: Monday's my birthday!!! So after visiting your shop, we're going to my in law's house in AL to shoot my .22 rifle and wheel guns for a few hours. :-k Why not take my new .45 with me?

NO!!! AAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!

I can't buy a new gun right now. I can't buy a new gun right now.

It really is a sickness... isn't it?[/quote:lt9ydgtb]
    Those are nice looking guns. I've got my eye on one, myself.

19. Boy Racer

Boy Racer New Member

Well... our planned trip to AL got canned :( , but we'll still be at the shop Saturday morning around 10:00. :D The rest of the day will be spent doing more responsible tasks, like cleaning the garage, washing & vacuuming the truck, servicing the fish tank, maybe visiting with my BIL in Holly Springs, preparing the bike to race in Birmingham next weekend, etc.

It's too bad, really, I had already started making a mental list:

50 rounds of .357
    200 rounds of .38
    200 rounds of 9mm
    75 rounds of #8 12 gauge
    100 rounds of .22LR
    Case of 4.5" clays, thrower
    1 rifle
    2 shotguns
    3 handguns

This in addition to whatever my FIL and other BIL had on hand. <sigh>

Can't wait to meet the guys at Big Woods Goods!

20. SigP229

SigP229 Active Member

If you don't want to go thru a gun shop you can go to gunbroker.com, they give you a list of ffl's in your area who you can use to ship. Think if you hit on any gun, down at the bottom of the page you can follow the links.