Gun Shop Work Age

Discussion in 'GA Laws and Politics' started by RestlessMind, Oct 1, 2010.

1. RestlessMind

RestlessMind New Member

I'm 16 and I think it would be awesome if I could work in a gun shop, I don't really mind what I do, I may as well end up just sweeping the place and stuff, but I think if I could work at one I might learn some stuff. :)

Is 16 years old enough to work at a gun shop in Georgia?

2. mdlott

mdlott Member

Although I really don't know, I started my first job many years ago at 15. It was not in a gun shop, but my guess is that it would be OK as long as your duties were limited. I'm sure others will provide their opinion as well. Good luck, and hats off to you for seeking work. Even if you can't find your preferred job, start somewhere and keep looking for what you're really interested in. :righton:

3. RestlessMind

RestlessMind New Member

Ah okay, looking forward to see what others say!

4. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

I really don't know, but respect your ambition. I'd suggest writing a letter to Glock, and see if they have some apprentice programs or can make a recommendation. They are right in Smyrna. I don't believe there is any minimum age for attending an armors course.

Good luck!

5. mathar1

mathar1 New Member

OK here are the answers (be aware they were given to me by an ATF agent so they may or may not be accurate)

You must be legal age of your individual state to work at all.
    You MUST be at least 18 to transfer firearms or ammuntion or sign federal forms (4473 ,Form 4 etc..),
    You must be at least 18 years of age (legal adult signature) to sign for shipped firearms and ammunition.
    You must be 18 (legal adult age) to work on firearms.

Basically you can do anything except paperwork or gunsmithing work on customer guns. You can clean the store, show guns and accessories, sell accessories (but not ammo) or anything else not involving paperwork because you are not a legal adult. Hope this helps. Good luck! :righton:

6. RestlessMind

RestlessMind New Member

That would be cool, but unfortunately its too far away for me.

Ooo, that's better than I expected.

7. rdinga

rdinga New Member

Working in gun shop may not be what be what you think. Making a profit, selling guns that provide a better margin due to manufacture's incentives are more important to the owners than models you prefer or know more of. Time and time again you will see trade offers that will make you sick knowing the owner is offered a fraction of the value. You will be forbidden to meet someone just outside the door and offer them a fair price to both you and them.

Blow hards, know it all's and want to be snipers will patrol the counter during the busiest times to bore you stories that range from lies to things that defy physics.

Then on rare occasion you will be allowed to help someone who needs it.

8. RestlessMind

RestlessMind New Member

That sounds rather dismal. :p

9. Macktee

Macktee New Member

Welcome to the real world.

Sooner or later, we all come to the realization that being an adult isn't quite a stroll thru the land of milk and honey we imagined when we were kids.

Most jobs suck. Some really suck! However, there are those fortunate people who find a job they absolutely love. Sadly, most of us don't but let's hope you become one of them!

Unfortunately, the older we get, the more we look back fondly on high school. It's absolute hell when you're a high school student, but looking back, it was better than anything since...

Please don't get discouraged by the ramblings of a soured old fart. Life is what you want it to be. If you want to work in a gun store, keep looking and asking until you find one that will hire you. It may not be what you were hoping or it may be many times better. You'll never know until you give it a try. Don't get discouraged and don't give up.

The best of luck to you!

10. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

:sick:

11. Macktee

Macktee New Member

You, of all people, should not be making age comments!

One other thing.....

[​IMG]