Gun Runners Motorcycle Riding Club

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Iceman, Jul 18, 2016.

1. Iceman

Iceman Active Member

From the latest GeorgiaCarry.Org e-mail blast:

"5) The Gun Runners Ride Again!

GeorgiaCarry.Org is proud to announce the resurgence of the first ever GCO endorsed membership affiliate club, the "Gun Runners" Motorcycle Riders Club.

GCO Member Jud Kidney has taken the reigns as the Gun Runners Motorcycle Riders Club Coordinator. Jud is currently making plans for a group ride to occur late summer/early fall and will be contacting current Gun Runners members with details when they are finalized.

The "Gun Runners" primary mission is to spread the word about responsible carry by riders and to promote GeorgiaCarry.Org within the motorcycle riding community. We have no dues, no initiation, no meetings, or any of the other complications of more organized clubs. The only requirement for Gun Runners membership is your GCO membership. What we do have is a passion for our Second Amendment rights and a love to ride. The Gun Runners welcome all riders on all sorts of motorcycles. No matter if you ride a trike, cruiser, sport bike, enduro or hog. Heck we even accept Gold Wing riders (*with a character reference). If you are interested in joining the Gun Runners, please email Jud Kidney at [email protected]"

If you are a member of Gun Runners and would still like to be a member, or if you would like to become a member, please send the following information to [email protected].

Name:
    GCO Member Number:
    GCO Membership Expiration Date:
    Email address:
    Phone number:
    City and county of residence:

My first order of business is to rebuild an old and outdated membership roster. If you were on the Gun Runners membership roster, you may have gotten an e-mail blast earlier today requesting the same information.

My name is Jud "Iceman" Kidney, and I approve this message.

2. Crawdaddyjc

Crawdaddyjc Member

so as a winger i need references. how about my friends ruger or smith and wesson?

Attached Files:

3. Iceman

Iceman Active Member

As a Harley rider, I had to do a heap of negotiating to volunteer to be the Gun Runners Coordinator. You know, parts fall off Harleys and they were worried about the safety of the riders behind me.

I'll be looking for your membership email to come through.

4. tsangster

tsangster Member

I'll bite. My Kawasaki (VN1600) started leaking after I installed an HD horn cover. Leak was from rear differential so I'll try to consider coincidence - maybe.

5. Iceman

Iceman Active Member

Hmm VN1600....Nomad?

My last ride was a Y2K VN1500 Nomad (fuel injected). Had it for 10 years, and put 100,000 miles on it. I miss that bike, but I do like my Street Glide.

The old and the new, side by side.

[​IMG]

Oh, and it was definitely coincidence!

Attached Files:

6. tsangster

tsangster Member

2004 Classic. '97 1500A before.

7. Wheedle

Wheedle Active Member

What about us weirdo V-Strom guys?

[​IMG]

8. Iceman

Iceman Active Member

V-Stromers are cool. But I gotta be honest, I ride a motorcycle, not a boat. So I doubt we'll be ridding in any creeks, rivers, or lakes. LOL

Although, I can think of one road we might ride were we'll cross a creek that crosses a paved road.

9. Wheedle

Wheedle Active Member

That is a county road, in NE Alabama...

This better?

[​IMG]

Or this?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
  10. Iceman

Iceman Active Member

Yeah, if you like ridin' in bodies of water and on icy roads, you probably gonna get bored ridin' with me. LOL

I see your BRP pic, and raise you a BRP pic! We rode from the beginning of the BRP to the end of Skyline Drive.

EDIT TO ADD: pictured with me is my Bride. She rides a 2004 Honda Spirit 1100.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
  11. tsangster

tsangster Member

General vicinity of Clarkesville? Always sneaks up on me.

12. Iceman

Iceman Active Member

Yep. Probably a little closer to Tiger. IIRC Bridge Creek Road.

13. Wheedle

Wheedle Active Member

It always seems to be rainy or foggy when I go tbrough there...:D

14. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

Obvious Crazy Man there in the snow and ice.

Nemo

15. Crawdaddyjc

Crawdaddyjc Member

I have my sights set on a brp ride. I bet it is awesome!

16. Iceman

Iceman Active Member

It is awesome!

Plan your gas stops carefully. In some places you have to travel a fair ways off the parkway to get gas. And that's not good if you've mismanaged your gasoline needs and are running on fumes when you exit the parkway. :banghead:

17. Crawdaddyjc

Crawdaddyjc Member

Sounds like that is from experience! Lol! I have only ran out of gas 1 time and that was on the 97 shadow ace i had.
    The wing gets great mileage and careful planning always makes a trip that much better. How are the hotel/bnb accommodations along the brp? If wifey is gonna do a big trip like that- i need to provide quality lodging along the way!

18. Wheedle

Wheedle Active Member

http://www.parkvistainn.com/ at MP 268, West Jefferson NC, is newly renovated. It's a very MC friendly place, and the restaurant is great.

http://www.blueridgeparkway.org/index.php is a good reference for planning a trip. Allow some extra time for exploring off the Parkway.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2016
  19. Iceman

Iceman Active Member

We didn't actually run out of gas, but we were sooo close. And, my Bride was not happy with me! LOL It was was clearly my fault since I missed the intended exit. By the time I realized what I had done, it was to far to go back, so we decided to keep on riding. LOL

We didn't have any problems finding lodging. We stayed at one little hotel (I don't remember where it was) that didn't look like much on the outside, but inside it was as nice as any of the big name hotels we've stayed in.

Took us four days to do BRP and Skyline Drive. The second link Wheedle posted will help your planning a lot. I used their printed travel planner for our trip.

Word of caution about Grandfather Mountain: Neat place, but take their warning for motorcyclists seriously. If you go all the way to the top, you're going to use every bit of the slow riding skill you have. And if you mention Grandfather Mountain around my Bride, prepare for an ear full. LOL