Gun Related Bumper Stickers Might Impact You In Court

Discussion in 'National Laws, Bills and Politics' started by Phil1979, Oct 29, 2019.

1. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

2. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

3. Phil1979

I agree, especially when the prosecution witness is forced to testify for the defense, lol!

4. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Well-Known Member

I don't have any stickers on my car that provide any indication of my position on the second amendment, firearm ownership, etc., but it is pretty sad when simply exercising your 1st amendment rights is used against you in a trial for also exercising your 2nd amendment rights.

TimBob likes this.
  5. Baba Yaga

Baba Yaga Active Member

Since Minnesota has no "stand your ground" laws (pretty sure) going back for his phone and weapon was a no-no. Yet I seem to take away the fact young muslium was the aggressor, and with that was shot for his attempt at grabbing for his weapon.

Now the prosecutor has brought up the stickers ( first amendment rights) in both trials only to get mistrial on each. WTF?

Oh wait, Bloomberg lives there, well thats it in a nutshell!

Comments are interesting read to this story.

6. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

In closing, Woodford told the jury that Weiss did not exercise all of his alternatives before using deadly force, using examples such as staying in the car, driving away from the scene completely and calling the police immediately.

Woodford said Weiss instead repositioned himself and escalated the situation by showing Rahim, and Rahim’s car passenger Noah Dukart his gun.

“Make no mistake, the defendant turned up the volume in this incident,” Woodford said.

He also brought up evidence used in testimony, such as a bumper sticker on Weiss’ car that reads “gun control means hitting your target.”

Woodford also made a point to say that Weiss’ own testimony seemed rehearsed and embellished during the trial.

Woodford brought up the notion that the belief that Weiss felt threatened by the two teenage girls inside Rahim’s car was unbelievable.

. . .

McGeeney said it was Dukart who came out with a black eye, asking Weiss if he wanted to fight and that it would be “two on one.” McGeeney also brought up DNA evidence of Rahim’s saliva on Weiss’ jacket – which he said proves that Rahim spit on Weiss. He added that Rahim attempting to grab Weiss’ gun is what made him act out in self-defense.

McGeeney then walked through the witnesses called through the trial – calling out a few witnesses that had contradicting testimonies from initial or previous statements – such as the woman who saw it happen from her own car, Balchaynsh Balcha, and female car passenger Riley Bongiorno.

“Weiss’ statement is the only one consistent throughout the case,” McGeeney said.

McGeeney said when Weiss saw Dukart come out of the car on drugs, which was consistent through testimony in all car passengers, and agitated Weiss didn’t know who else was inside the vehicle. He says Weiss was responding with his gun in an attempt to deescalate the situation, he was not the aggressor. He shot Rahim is self-defense.

“This case is tragic, but not unavoidable,” McGeeney said. “But unavoidable by Dukart and Rahim.”

https://kttc.com/news/minnesota-new...alexander-weiss-second-degree-murder-retrial/

Baba Yaga likes this.
  7. Malum Prohibitum

Baba Yaga likes this.
  8. Malum Prohibitum

Defense attorney James McGeeney has filed a motion to present testimony to the jury regarding Muhim’s “reputation for violence and intimidation.”

He includes two criminal cases involving assaultive behavior. His motion also seeks to present testimony that Rahim had used Xanax and marijuana the night before the deadly encounter, had possession of brass knuckles the morning he was shot and had engaged in robberies prior to the accident.

Read More: Victim's Behavior May Be Part of Upcoming Rochester Murder Trial | https://krocnews.com/victims-behavi...trial/?utm_source=tsmclip&utm_medium=referral

Baba Yaga likes this.
  9. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

Was not the fact that Rahim backed his car into Weiss' car relevant to Weiss fearing for his safety?

10. Mrs_Esterhouse

Mrs_Esterhouse Swollen Member

So, basically there's a chilling effect on one's First Amendment rights via court sanctioned prosecutorial action.

11. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

12. Malum Prohibitum

I am not aware, Nemo. I just wanted to provide us here reading a little background information about the 17 year old criminal this guy put in the ground.

13. Baba Yaga

Baba Yaga Active Member

After reading additional info provided by Malum, I believe Mr Weiss shot to soon, But I was not there. However after further reading about Mr. Muhims's recent past, Had he waited a bit longer, Muhim would have escalated the situation with his friend and Weiss might have been justified.

Curious that passengers in Muhims car correlate to Weiss's story, and the red car didn't.
    Could someone have screwed up the report? All around good conversation over a beer sometime.

Still don't see why a bumper sticker plays into this unless trying to establish a mindset of the individual and set precedence for the shooting. That sounds like a reach.

14. OWM

OWM Well-Known Member

Guess I need to remove my GCO decal's from the family vehicles.

Right after hell freezers over.

Baba Yaga likes this.
  15. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Yeah, articles say that the prosecutor asked him about that bumper sticker on cross-examination, but it didn't go into any more detail. I don't know what point the prosecutor was attempting to make, or whether or not it would've depended on the defendant giving a certain type of answer.

The articles also say that the defendant's own attorney asked about his other bumper stickers on redirect, to point out that the gun control bumper sticker was only one of several on the man's car.

Character evidence, specifically having a character towards violence & a predisposition towards violence, is generally not admissible. Evidence the "victim" had a violent temper , when the accused raises a self-defense claim, could, in theory, be used IF a judge considers it very important and relevant evidence, BUT ONLY IF the "evidence" comes from a source other than anecdotal evidence! It would be off-limits to discuss any prior crimes or other specific acts of wrongdoing.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
    Baba Yaga likes this.
  16. Squid

Squid Gun pecan

I will need to remove my
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    in three inch high letters.

17. MaricopaKid

MaricopaKid Member

Many years ago I was in a jury pool for a Title 9 Fed Case. One of the questions during voir dire was "What decals or bumper stickers are on your personal car?" I had a NRA and I believe a GCO sticker. They were looking for 2A friendly folks. We found for the defense, I believe he was innocent.

18. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

Leaving aside the court's actions, today's highly charged adversarial political climate should give us pause to think how much attention do we want to draw to ourselves by having our vehicles festooned (cool word, huh? :lol: ) with bumper stickers espousing various causes & political positions. I prefer not having my vehicle firebombed, keyed, sh*t on, smashed, etc by those lovely folks on the left or just lunatics in general. I'll maintain my grey man persona and get from A to B and back with minimal aggravation.

zetor likes this.
  19. Phil1979

Okay, I knew what that word meant, but still looked it up anyway. :lol: