Gun range located near Darien, Ga. ?

Discussion in 'Ranges, Dealers & Smiths' started by Patches, Oct 26, 2007.

1. Patches

Patches Guest

I live near Eulonia, Ga. (just north of Darien, Ga. on U.S. 17) and would like to know where is the closest gun range for me down here in the low country?

2. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Richmond Hill WMA. In fact, I'm about to leave to go there here in just a little bit. You go North on I-95 to Hwy 144. Make a right, go about 11 or 12 miles. Make a left on Kilkenny Rd. Range is about a mile on your left (dirt road). Hopefully my little car will make it down it after all this rain. I can always park on the road and walk about 400-500 yards.

The range is 100 yards and has about 10 or so benches. Fairly nice place, no rangemaster.

edit: maps show you about an hour from it. I'm about 1hr 15min or so from it.

3. Patches

Patches Guest

Richmond Hill gun range

Pt: Thanks for sending along the range info at Richmond Hill. I just cannot recall Highway 144 off of I-95. Where does it go and I guess the exit sign will tell me Highway 144. I know where the Midway exit is located and U.S. 17 exit is located. Do you bring your own targets and can you purchase ammo there or bring your own. Sort of guide me into this if you will as I want to shoot my pistols not long guns. Any suprevision or is everyone is on their own you think? Thanks so much for your reply.

4. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

At the WMA ranges you need to bring ammo, targets and target stands with you. They ae just ranges with no stores to buy supplies. Some have range officers to supervise the range, but at others you are on your own. If there is no range officer I would highly reccomend that you coordinate with ALL other shooters for a cold range period to place and change targets. You don't want to thing the range is cold, while someone else doesn't understand what that means or thinks that the range is hot.

5. S&W 40

S&W 40 Active Member

http://www.uspsa-clubs.com/caps/

This may be some help, not sure if they are open to public but there are POC's.

6. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Re: Richmond Hill gun range

Hwy 144 is exit 90 on I-95. You make a right (to go east in your case). You will pass through Richmond Hill and the intersection of Hwy 17. In fact you could probably take 17 up and then make a right on 144, but I'll leave that up to you. Everyone is on their own. When I got there yesterday about 9:30, there was one guy with a rather nice looking Steyr .308. There were a max of 5 people while I was there. We all communicated well when someone needed to go put up a target or move a stand or go down range for whatever. The dirt road off of Kilkenny Rd. is probably 1/3-1/2 mile long. I made it in a 1990 camry yesterday (somehow). It had been raining almost all week too. It wasn't muddy, just sloshy dirt, sorta.

I also got to try out a target stand I built (PVC pipe and a piece of 1x2 wood cut in half.) It held up real nice. A lot of people use real estate signs, or just wood stuck in the ground. There are bullet holes in the dumpster next to the range :shock: So either someone is a real bad shot or they are practicing their urban trash can warfare. I try and make it down there once every 4-6 weeks or so. You can make a new thread or PM me and we can work out a trip or something. I'll bring along all my guns if you wanna try them out.

Oh, here's a map from Eulonia to the range (approximately, because the dirt road isn't on the map). But like I said, it's about a mile once you turn on Kilkenny Road. It's the second dirt road on your left. There's a small, tall sign on the right side of Kilkenny Rd. that says "Shooting Range" with a left arrow

Here is the map.

It's showing about 45 minutes from Eulonia. Let me know if you need anything else.

EDIT: Nevermind, 17 to 144 looks to be way out of the way. I-95 looks like your best bet.

7. S&W 40

S&W 40 Active Member

PT unless they changed they are closed on Tuesday (gate might be open, but they will fine you) and close at dark.

As soon as I am back in town I will drop you a PM for some range time, been entirely to long..... :x

8. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Yea, forgot about those hours...

Here are the general range rules.

The hours are Wednesday - Monday: 0800 - sunset. Closed Tuesdays.

Not sure why they're closed Tuesdays...range maintenance maybe?

Sounds good. I look forward to your PM.