Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

gun in car at high school?

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  mountainman444 
#1 ·
I am a security guard at a (special) high school , I spoke to the S.R.O and he told me I could have my gun locked in my car as long as I have my GFL (and i do) and if the principal says it is ok, the principal asked his boss and was told it is ok as long as my GFL is up to date. question: is this right? :help:

#2 ·
vanguard said:
I am a security guard at a (special) high school , I spoke to the S.R.O and he told me I could have my gun locked in my car as long as I have my GFL (and i do) and if the principal says it is ok, the principal asked his boss and was told it is ok as long as my GFL is up to date. question: is this right? :help:
What makes the high school special?

#4 ·
I'm not sure you need actual permission.

You must be "otherwise authorized to possess or carry weapons "(I'm pretty sure the GWL does that) and have it in "a locked compartment of a motor vehicle or one which is in a locked container in or a locked firearms rack which is on a motor vehicle..." The cab of my truck is locked, therefore creating a "locked compartment" but the glove compartment is probably more defensible in a legal sense.

I have my firearm in my truck EVERYDAY at school, and have never asked "permission". All of my "superiors" do, however, know that I have one, as do most of the local LEO's. I must also note that my SRO is of the opinion that in the event of an active shooter on campus, he doesn't want to be the only "good guy" on the premesis with a firearm!

#5 ·
Why ask for permission? A licensed teacher can have a firearm in the car all day. They do not have to ask.

Just curious. What kind of security agency does not allow it's employees to be armed in the school? I want the security guards at my granddaughter's school to be armed.

I, as a GWL holder, can carry in and out of the school when picking up or dropping off a student. Why can't a security guard be armed? I'm :? , but that's easy.

#6 ·
CountryGun said:
Why ask for permission? A licensed teacher can have a firearm in the car all day. They do not have to ask.

Just curious. What kind of security agency does not allow it's employees to be armed in the school? I want the security guards at my granddaughter's school to be armed.

I, as a GWL holder, can carry in and out of the school when picking up or dropping off a student. Why can't a security guard be armed? I'm :? , but that's easy.
well it is a cheap security agency for one thing, not real big, only pays $7.50hr also. only gave me one uniform. but I have been out of work for 18 months and this was offered to me so I took it, ( got to pay the bills somehow). :(

#8 ·
CountryGun said:

well it is a cheap security agency for one thing, not real big, only pays $7.50hr also. only gave me one uniform. but I have been out of work for 18 months and this was offered to me so I took it, ( got to pay the bills somehow). :(

#7 ·
CountryGun said:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.