Gun for the wife

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by ntech, Jun 14, 2007.

1. ntech

ntech Member

I am interested in purchasing a revolver for my wife. She has never shot guns before. I want her to have something small, so it will fit her hands. I also would like a weapon that doesn't have too much kick. It is going to be challenging enough to train her without her having to fire some huge hand cannon.

I figured a revolver would be easier for her to handle and load, considering it is sometimes diffiullt to lock the slide back on pistols. Also, in case a pistol jammed, she would be out of luck due to her lack of strength and knowledge of pistols. Any suggestions? What do all of your wives and girlfriends use?

2. GunNut

GunNut New Member

Well, my wife likes my Glock 32...

If she has never shot before, I'd start out with a .22, you can always rent one at a range if you don't want to buy one.

Maybe move up to a .38, there are lots out there with fairly small grips, smith, taurus, ruger, etc.

3. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

My girlfriend hates guns. Can't help you out there. Like td said, .22 would be the way to start for her to get the handle/safety of it down (Not to mention it's CHEAP to shoot). Then move on up. Hopefully it'll work out well.

4. slabertooch

slabertooch New Member

My Mom is a really petite woman, not a big fan of guns, but loves to shoot my Dad's Bursa .380. It's a semi auto, right size for her hand and she can handle the recoil, it's about the largest pistol she will fire. My Dad tried to move her up to the 9mm but she wanted nothing to do with it. I have also heard some good things about the Walther P22. Been thinking about getting one for my wife, plus the ammo is cheap.

5. tace

tace New Member

6. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

The Ruger SP101 is a good choice. It has enough heft to cut down on recoil. My wife enjoyed shooting the rental at the local range.

7. Wiley

Wiley New Member

Give her a gift certificate and let her pick the one she wants. The Ruger 22 pistols have a good rep. and you will both enjoy it.

8. tj2000

tj2000 New Member

Right!

Tace is correct in posting this article. I am a scuba instructor, and like I tell the husbands who's wife wants gear "let them be the ones to pic out what fits them. I know it's hard to not advise but your best bet would be to take her to the range and let HER try out several styles and caliber. If the guy behind the counter tries to give his input tell him to let your wife make the choice based on what fits her.
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :2cents:

9. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 1:16

10. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Good! That means we're making progress, haha.

11. glockgirl

glockgirl New Member

ok so as the lone female my answer is....

Go to the range... rent every gun there and let HER CHOOSE HER WEAPON. That is what I did and settled on a G19 which I love but is still too big to carry all the time.

I am looking at trying a bersa .380 this weekend and a kel-tec in .380 or .32. I would still carry my g19 in undesirable areas but the smaller guns seem more reasonable for trips to lowes and such. course the g19 is right in the car most of time anyways.

I hate revolvers. too me they seem to bulky for carry. most girls don't have a problem with locking the slide or recoil. I have seen 120 lb girls handle a .45 with no problem.

12. Boy Racer

Boy Racer New Member

I read the title of this thread and thought to myself "good trade". :lol:

13. Sine Nomen

Sine Nomen New Member

14. Bulldawg182

Bulldawg182 Active Member

Ok, now you owe me a new monitor cause I spit my coffee all over this one! LOL

15. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

:rotfl: