GUN DEALER LICENSING illinois general assembly

Discussion in 'National Laws, Bills and Politics' started by mark5019, Apr 30, 2017.

1. mark5019

mark5019 what me worry?

Synopsis As Introduced
    Creates the Gun Dealer Licensing Act. Provides that it is unlawful for a person to engage in the business of selling, leasing, or otherwise transferring firearms without a license issued by the Department of Financial and Professional Regulation. Provides that a dealership agent other than a dealer licensee-in-charge may act on behalf of the licensed dealership without being licensed as a dealer under the Act. Creates the Gun Dealer Licensing Board consisting of 5 members appointed by the Secretary of Financial and Professional Regulation to recommend policies, procedures, and rules relevant to the administration and enforcement of the Act. Provides that the holder of a dealership license issued under the Act may employ in the conduct of his or her business dealership agents. Establishes qualifications for obtaining dealership licenses and for being employed as a dealership agent. Establishes penalties for violations of the Act. Provides for rulemaking, including emergency rulemaking. Amends the Regulatory Sunset Act. Provides that the Act is repealed on January 1, 2028. Amends the Illinois Administrative Procedure Act. Makes conforming changes.

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/Bil...AID=14&DocTypeID=SB&LegID=104404&SessionID=91

2. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

"shall not be infringed" Guess folks in Ill. just can't read.

3. Rugerer

Rugerer GeePeeDoHolic

4. mark5019

mark5019 what me worry?

That's why I'll never buy there products

5. Rugerer

Rugerer GeePeeDoHolic

Springfield is now saying they didn't understand the bill. I call BS.

http://blog.springfield-armory.com/...ent-regarding-gun-dealer-licensing-act-sb1657

Either naive or conniving. Neither is good. If you're agreeing to a carve-out, you know it's not good.

6. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

7. mountainpass

mountainpass Under Scrutiny

https://www.rockriverarms.com/images/pdfs/RRA_Stmt17.pdf
    Fo
    r immedia
    te release:
    May 1, 2017
    Rock River Arms, Inc.
    ®
    (RRA) wants to assure the Illinois (and national) firearms
    community that we are
    still 100 percent
    opposed to the Gun Dealer Licensing Act
    -
    SB1657, the house version of the same bill,
    and any potential fina
    l legislation that may come from those bills along with any other infringements on
    the gun rights of law
    -
    abiding citizens everywhere.
    For more than twenty years, Rock River Arms
    and Springfield Armory
    ha
    ve
    actively opposed gun control
    legislation at the l
    ocal, state, and federal level
    s
    . In 2009, we partnered with other manufacturers to form
    an organization geared tow
    ards representing our interests
    -
    The Illinois Firearms Manufacturers
    Association (IFMA). Historically, that organization has done well in rep
    resenting us in Springfield, Illinois.
    We had no reason to believe that it was doing anything beyond representing the firearms community’s
    (Illinois firearms manufacturers, dealers and gun owners) best intere
    sts, keeping us well
    -
    informed on
    relevant legis
    lation and issues,
    acting on our behalf.
    In the case of SB1657, there was a disconnect and
    t
    hat representation
    was
    misguided.
    While we do believe that I
    FMA acted in what it felt was
    the best
    interests of its members, we were as
    shocked as everyone
    else t
    o find ourselves exempted
    from provisions of SB1657 and that IFMA was no
    longer opposing that bill, even
    though
    RRA
    still
    opposed it.
    Again, Rock River Arms wants to emphasize (regardless of anything that may have been said or done,
    mistakenly or otherwi
    se, by any other party on our behalf) its continued total opposition to SB1657, the
    Illinois House version of the bill and any final legislation that may emerge. This includes any provisions
    found in
    Gun Dealer Licensing Act
    SB1657
    along with any other th
    reats that may infringe upon our gun
    rights.
    If you have any
    further
    questions
    or require
    more information about
    our
    position, please contact:
    Sarah Larson, General Manager
    or
    Steve Mayer, LE, Government, and International Sales Manager
    at 309
    -
    -
    Thank you.
    Chuck Larson
    President/Owner
    Rock River Arms, Inc.

8. Rugerer

Rugerer GeePeeDoHolic

Phrasing like "opposed .. to any potential final legislation" is signaling that they believe it could pass, and since they were opposed, it's not their fault if it passes, even if they accidentally happen to benefit from it.

9. Craftsman

Craftsman Well-Known Member

Sounds like a lobbyist thought he was cutting a deal for the folks he represents, not understanding how the firearms community works or how severe the backlash will be. After the past lessons of S&W and Ruger supporting "reasonable" infringements, you think this would be one of the fundamental lessons for an industry lobbyist.

10. Rugerer

Rugerer GeePeeDoHolic

RRA is "severing all ties" to lobbying group. They didn't know.

http://rockriverarms.com/images/pdfs/RRA_Stmt217.pdf

11. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Great letter. Now, lets see if Springfield does something equally redeeming.

Oh, and thanks for that link. It ends with...

Prior to our further review, we believed that the organization had accurately represented us. We feel that IFMA’s actions have compromised its integrity. While their actions may be standard practices at the capitol, backdoor politics and convoluted deal-making are counter to the way we do business and lead our lives.

I sincerely apologize for my lack of direct engagement in IFMA’s governance and subsequent actions, as well as the abandonment gun owners are feeling. If you have any questions regarding, or need more information about, this statement or RRA’s position, please contact: Sarah Larson, RRA General Manager at 309-792-5780.

Thank you,
    Chuck Larson
    President/Owner
    Rock River Arms, Inc.

Illinois Carry is not taking this lying down....
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 2, 2017
  12. Rugerer

Rugerer GeePeeDoHolic

SA decided to, you guessed it, "sever all ties".

https://www.instagram.com/p/BTm7QIdBVWr/

The officers of SA are the board of IFMA. It's easy to be suspicious of the excuses, especially when the first PR tried to sidestep it all.

13. Rugerer

Rugerer GeePeeDoHolic

As the round turns...

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...contributions-to-anti-gun-rights-politicians/

On the one hand, I can maybe sort of see it could be trying to persuade politicians in political sausage-making. On the other, it's like GCO donating to Stacey Abrams.

14. Wheedle

Wheedle Active Member

So... can I keep my RRA match trigger, or do I need to melt it down and send it back?

15. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

The same "reporter" on the same gun board is making an awful lot of accusations against two long time, well respected gun manufacturers. I don't know who this John Boch is, what his bona fides are, what his motives may be or anything else about him. What I do know is that there is the possibility of him - and the website - being guilty of libel if these accusations are determined to be false.

As far as TTAG, this wouldn't be the first time they've jumped the shark. I stopped reading them years ago because the level of BS they generated was overwhelming. They are not a reputable source for, well, anything.

Donating to both sides of the political aisles? Just about all companies and individuals cover their bets on political contributions. It's called getting access to those who pull the strings.

An interesting aside - there isn't a single word of the SA/RRA dustup on the Illinois State Rifle Association website. The bill in question, yes. I wonder why these guys aren't all over SA and RRA? http://www.isra.org/

I'm not about to condemn two top tier gun manufacturers to the ash heap of history on the words of an unknown person writing on a questionable website. I'll wait to see how this whole thing shakes out.

16. DonT

DonT Deplorable bitter clinger.

17. Rugerer

Rugerer GeePeeDoHolic

Opinion against bill in Chicago Tribune
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...-illinois-perspec-0511-jm-20170510-story.html

18. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

19. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Interesting take. The lobbying company had 4 officers - the lobbyist, 2 from SA (including CEO) and one from RRA. Their entire operation was driven by those two companies that formed the lobbying company. So, the CEO of SA who is on the board for the lobbying company that he set up is now claiming that he's Sgt. Schultz and knew nothing? Sorry, doesn't wash. He's wrong either way - either he is a liar (more likely) or he's incompetent.

20. johnski

johnski Well-Known Member

It's bullchitt. SA and Rock River created the IMFA. If you try to call the IMFA you get redirected to a SA rep. The IMFA does not even have an office they ARE SA and RR. So they are goong to divest themselves from an entity which they created and sends you to their compamy reps. Brilliant! Screw SA and RRA.