Gun culture still strong in the US, polls find. But that may be changing.

Discussion in 'National Laws, Bills and Politics' started by GAGunOwner, Oct 23, 2015.

1. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

"Over the long term, some see an overall shift in opinion on guns as inevitable due to the nation's changing demographics.
    “The core of the NRA’s support comes from white, rural and relatively less educated voters,†wrote Professor Winkler in a Monday op-ed for The Washington Post. “This demographic is currently influential in politics but clearly on the wane.â€
    In August, the Pew Research Center found that 72 percent of blacks and 75 percent of Hispanics favor gun control over the right to own arms, compared with 40 percent of whites.
    “Racial minorities are soon to be a majority, and they are the nation’s strongest supporters of strict gun laws,†wrote Winkler, the author of "Gunfight: The Battle Over the Right to Bear Arms in America.â€"

http://news.yahoo.com/gun-culture-still-strong-us-polls-may-changing-205318536.html

2. phaed

phaed Active Member

i think the bigger disparity in the future will come from different age groups, not racial divides. anti-gun propaganda is being fed to these new generations along with anything else that might discourage self-empowerment.

and while it may be true that minorities say publicly that they support gun controls (though i have my doubts), i would bet it's only because they're less likely to abide by controls in the first place. intelligent lip service.

3. TimBob

TimBob Old, Slow, Boring Dude

It is more likely a "both and" scenario. The war against our rights is being fought on multiple fronts.

4. CoffeeMate

CoffeeMate Junior Butt Warmer

:bsflag:

That is nothing more than an ignorant stereotype.