Gun Control / Gun Safety in School Textbooks

Discussion in 'Firearm Related' started by gunsmoker, Oct 29, 2010.

1. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

I have a suggestion. Everyone here who has kids or grandkids who sometimes bring school books home--- check those books to see how they treat the subject of guns and gun control.

I was looking at middle school "health" book the other day. It seemed to be aimed at a 4th or 5th grade audience. Guns were mentioned twice.
    Once in the chapter about household safety, where guns were identified as a risk to be avoided, but if you come from a hunting and shooting family, make sure everybody gets formal gun training and keep all the weapons unloaded and locked up.
    Guns were mentioned again in the chapter about violence and conflict resolution. This was part of "emotional health" and "mental health." They said guns have no place in schools, and if anyone brings a gun to school you should tell the authorities because they may be planning on killing others, or themselves.

I was also disappointed to see that his "health" book spent a lot of time talking about self-image, emotional health, psychological health, etc. And stealing. The chapter that talked about the ability to say "no" to bad suggestions from others (peer pressure) was full of examples of kids stealing or considering theft.

Sure, I can't disagree with the message, but what the Flip does this have to do with "health" ??? About half of this book talked about the human body phyiscal health. The rest was a bunch of pop-psych stuff that really pushes the boundaries of what is "health."

Kids who read this book will certainly assume that the Centers for Disease Control is the federal agency that needs to regulate guns, because gun accidents and gun violence are public health issues.

CHALLENGE: That's my book report. Where's yours? Go find some school book made for young and impressionable minds and see if it mentions guns, gun control, the Second Amendment, etc. Find out what the schools are teaching YOUR kids. Don't assume that you know what's being taught these days, because you recall what you were taught 20 years ago!

2. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Bump.

Parents, please. Take a look at your kids' school textbooks. See how they treat the issue of guns and gun control.

You might find those topics brought up in classes you never expected, like "health" as shown above.

3. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

What do you expect from a government indoctrination center?

I believe there are those in our government who will try anything to limit or control guns and carrying guns. There had been some talk when the healthcare bill came out, that they would try to sneak some gun control laws into it, and I believe it was Harry Reid who got it taken out.

They are trying to correlate gun ownership and carrying guns, or even having guns in the home with being unhealthy, and I believe sometime in the far future they will try to make gun ownership very difficult, stating that it is in the best interest of the collective health of our society.

Its just another way in which the anti-gun in our government are trying to find new ways to implement gun control and affect the public's view of gun ownership in general. Its just all part of the indoctrination of our youth.

Tell them that guns are bad, guns kill people, guns are dangerous, guns are unhealthy, so that when the make gun ownership for a private citizen darn near impossible at some point in the future, nobody will throw up much of a fuss. It may take a few generations for this to be able to occur, though.

You would be shocked by what my wife's 11 year old step-brother tells us he is learning when he comes home from school.

The liberalization of the public school system has been in effect for a long time, and now I believe it is becoming more apparent as ever, as they have recently, since I got out of school, started a full on press to push their agenda into the minds of our children.

They have also told some very big lies in our children's school book. I guess its all part of changing our history, so that they can easily push more liberal policies in the future.

Also, we know that public school's goals are not to create citizens who have critical thinking skills. Their goal is to produce citizens that can run the machines in the factory and fill out the paper work. They are not trying to create citizens who are free thinkers. They want obedient workers.

They want citizens that go to work everyday, pay their taxes, and keep in line with the status quo and keep their mouth shut, and they want people that will easily believe everything politicans tell them. They don't want citizens that question authority and their government. They want people that will just keep on voting for the two-party system.

If you were to ask me how public schools are doing on their goal of creating a subservient citizen, I would say they are doing a really good job. Look at the state of our country.

4. budone1967

budone1967 Die Hard GCO Recruiter

I picked up a 3rd or 4th grade social studies book in a local big box school supply store about 7 years ago. I went right to the bill of rights in the book and immediatley to the 2A. :shock: This book said as an explanation of the 2A and I quote" This issues has been debated many times a an individual right, but in numerous court cases it has been deciced that the 2A is not a gauranteed individual right". When I read that I tossed the book down and grabbed my wife and mother who were browing the store and left like we were running out of a burning building. I have never and will never spend a dime in that place again, for selling that kind of garbage.

Please check what your kids are learning about guns in school...

5. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Seven years ago, that sounds like a pretty accurate statement of the numerous court cases.

6. budone1967

budone1967 Die Hard GCO Recruiter

I just couldn't digest a book that distorted the constitution that way. I have know idea what they said about any of the other amendments.

7. ookoshi

ookoshi Moderator

I learned gun safety in high school in JROTC, right before learning to shoot and shooting a .22 rifle.

We used the NRA version:

1. ALWAYS keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.
    2. ALWAYS keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot.
    3. ALWAYS keep the gun unloaded until ready to use.

Strangely enough, no mention was made at any point about the dangers of guns at school. Also, no high school kids were shot despite hundreds of us handling firearms.

I went to my high school's website and looked at the JROTC page. Sadly, my school's rifle team uses air rifles now.

8. MyFred

MyFred Banned

All of this indignation is fine. I have been feeling it for some time, however, the indoctrination continues and I don't know how we can stop it, short of drastic measures that can be undesirable to say the least.

9. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

Better than nothing.

10. MyFred

MyFred Banned

My High school had a rifle range for the ROTC!!!

11. Ken1961

Ken1961 Dei Gratia

EJR914, may I post this to my FB page? If so, let me know how to credit it.

In short, very well said.

12. Savvy Jack

Savvy Jack Banned

ALL of my guns are ready to use! :righton: An unloaded gun is a useless gun!

13. Match10

Match10 Active Member

My daughter's current government stuidies text describes the USA as a democracy.... and NOT a Representative Republic! :puke:

14. ookoshi

ookoshi Moderator

When I grew up, I think my elementary teachers and maybe even up to around 6th grade we referred to our country as a democracy. It wasn't until high school that we really made a distinction that although we live in a democratic country, our government is actually a republic.

Hell, it wasn't until I was a senior in high school that we read the Federalist papers and debated federalism vs. anti-federalism in detail.

15. Match10

Match10 Active Member

She is a senior in high school....

16. ookoshi

ookoshi Moderator

Wow... ok, that's really sad for the state of our educational system.

17. mpc

mpc New Member

There's almost nothing that a kid will learn in school that is not distorted in some way. Real education happens in the home.

18. rmodel65

rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

i get on to my college teachers all the time...my political science and sociology teacher would always say our democracy and i would say you mean our republic?

19. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

It wasn't until after college that I really found out the difference between Democracy and Republic, and the distinctions between the two. Now how sad is that?

20. That's because colleges are becoming government controlled and continue the indoctrination that government K-12 schools started.