Gun control/confiscation in the UK?

Discussion in 'Firearm Related' started by Verbal101, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Verbal101

Verbal101 Active Member

The following is an email forward. I do not know the source. I found it on snopes but did not vet it yet. Please comment if true or exaggerated. Also curious if the email is making it to your inboxes.

http://msgboard.snopes.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=print_topic;f=81;t=000082

Here is an excerpt; the rest is on the link.

2. ookoshi

ookoshi Moderator

Not trying to imply that this isn't seriously messed up. But his conviction was reduced to manslaughter and his sentence reduced to 5 years on appeal. Just putting all the facts out there.

3. moga

moga New Member

True.

You'll find more than one story here of the craziness that happens in UK. They protect their criminals with their laws and ensure that the victims do not fight back. The punishment by the State may be worse than the treatment at the hands of the attacker.

4. ookoshi

ookoshi Moderator

From later on in the thread on snopes.com:

Gun control, prioritizing one person's comfort over another person's rights.

5. dcannon1

dcannon1 New Member

Happened back in '99. Tony Martin.

He ultimately only served 3 years (still unthinkable IMO), and has since been a strong supporter of reinstating the UK's right to bear arms.

The guy was paid £125,000 for an interview after his release, so hopefully that got him started on rebuilding his life.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Martin_(farmer)

6. Verbal101

Verbal101 Active Member

Ok, I learned something new today. Sounds like Mr. Martin is something of a poster child for gun control gone wild. Thanks all for verifying and the additional facts.

7. jmathis84

jmathis84 New Member

3yrs fro defending his life. :screwy: I dunno all the facts but from what Ive read on here that :cantsay: is crazy

8. Match10

Match10 Active Member

Surprisingly, many of my Brit friends support jailing him... They look at me cross-eyed for carrying at all, and call me "Paranoid"....

And they actually think their police forces are unarmed, and only rarely do any police have any firearms.... :screwy:

9. ookoshi

ookoshi Moderator

I have a British friend whose now a permanent resident who is a GWL holder. His philosophy is "they didn't allow guns over there so I feel like I'm making up for lost time." He has a pretty big collection.

10. nitrogenated

nitrogenated Active Member

I've got a friend that lives in North Ireland and has relayed similar information. She's been to Atlanta a couple of times and knows I carry, her parents are police so she isn't completely freaked out by guns but does think it a bit odd. I think she is actually a bit jealous of us

11. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

Yeah, because we Americans are just obsessed with guns. :roll:

Try being robbed one time, have the tar-beat out of you, and someone trying to end your life with a firearm, and yeah, you'll be paranoid. You'll never want to be in that helpless situation, again.

The question is are you paranoid, enough? There are bad people in this world, and they want to do bad things to good people.

12. madcapmagician

madcapmagician New Member

The vast majority of British law enforcement is unarmed. There are special firearms units that are called as needed.

13. madamimadam

madamimadam New Member

thank god i live in georgia

14. Match10

Match10 Active Member

Wrong! I am friends with a high ranking London Police Detective.... Virtually all of the UK's police have a weapon at hand... It may not be on their belt, but they can get it at a moment's notice. Only the lowest of street-walking beat cops do not carry. The "Bobby".

15. politenessman

politenessman Active Member

No they don't. I have friends in the Avon force (traffic), and although they have the option of carrying a pistol, most don't because the paper work is too complex and a real pain the rear, and most have no idea what to do with guns. Its really only the cops in London and the folks guarding infrastructure who are armed.

Most cops do have the option to call fast response vehicles if armed police are required.

16. politenessman

Actually most rational, normal Brits are indifferent about guns. Just like here in the US, the UK has the pro gun types (I know a few of those!) and the anti gun types. The anti gun types are helped considerably by a media that often has more bias than the media here.

This is why the UK gun bans passed so easily - because the average Brit wasn't a gun owner and had bigger things to worry about, and just didn't care what happened to the gun owners.

Yes I know, that is short sighted, but then look here in the US ... we have the same issues.

17. Match10

Match10 Active Member

Every vehicle has arms.

18. politenessman

Not outside of the main metro areas.

Edit to add:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_enforcement_in_the_United_Kingdom

19. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

They must not be too pro-gun. If they were really pro-gun they would have been out in the streets with said firearms the day they were due to turn them in for confiscation and they would have used them in self-defense.

20. politenessman

Certainly there were pro gun demos but you have to understand the political climate at the time. There was the Hungerford Massacre followed buy the Dunblane shootings. In some places being pro gun was likely to get you lynched. The British are also law abiding people, and the law passed. A few talked of resisting, but there were too few of them and HM Gov was prepped for that.
    The other thing to remember is this - Britain had gun registration, so HM Gov knew where all the guns were and were prepared to go knocking on doors - something they have a lot of experience doing (Northern Ireland).

Ask yourself this; if the same laws were passed here (even without gun registration) how many out of all the gun owners in this country, would resist? Bear in mind when you answer that we on this board (and others like it) represent only a very small percentage of all the gun owners out there. We would resist (there is no doubt about this) but how many other citizens would?