Gun Confiscation/Katrina News Stories

Discussion in 'GA Laws and Politics' started by S&W 40, May 7, 2007.

1. S&W 40

S&W 40 Active Member

Last week I was talking with the father in law about HB6 and the trouble in NO after Katrina. He does not believe that HB6 would be needed since the government could not confiscate your firearms unless you do something wrong. I did some looking at the GA code for the governors power during a state of emergency and could not find anything plainly states he had the power, (38-3-51)
    To me states if we own them legally prior to, no problem??

I also looked for some good reports of firearms confiscations after Katrina (reliable AP, Time, Newsweek) that I could show it did happen to law abiding citizens and the troubles they are having getting them back. All I could find was from gun pro sites without links to any external source.

I am looking for a very clear statement that the GA gov can confiscate firearms and for a good national news organization with reports of the firearm after math for ordinary citizens.

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Yep, that is correct. Now just make sure to keep proof on you that you are the owner, that your ownership is legal, and that you acquired ownership prior to the date of declaration of emergency so that you can show it to the polite 19 year olds that are pointing M-4s at you.

No problem. :roll:

3. Malum Prohibitum

Would the affidavits of all the individuals involved in the lawsuit, who got the federal court order suffice? I mean the actual court documents, or did you want NBC News' take on it for some reason?

4. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

In my opinion, in an emergency regardless of what it says on the law books there will still be orders to confiscate.

5. Malum Prohibitum

ABC News ok?

http://www.gunowners.org/abcnews.mpg

6. Malum Prohibitum

http://www.saf.org/new.orleans.lawsuit/ ... upport.pdf

Affidavits attached.

Take, for example, the one in which they are not only disarmed, but the officer took the pearl handled .22 pistol this woman, Lisa Ann Zalewski, inherited from her grandmother and smashed the handle on the ground, breaking the grips, before grabbing her breasts and telling the woman and her family (who were trying to evacuate by driving out) that they were "scum" and they should go back to NJ.

The affidavit asserts that the woman had every legal right to possess the weapon, and, to my knowledge, the City of New Orleans has never even bothered to challenge the credibility of the affidavit.

7. Malum Prohibitum

Joseph Lee Hooper's Glock pistol was seized even though he had a valid firearms license and was in the city to do rebuilding work. the officers then refused to disclose their identities to him.

When he tried to get it back, they threw him out of the police station.

He did get it back, two weeks later, but they stole his laser site!

And the officer who gave it back said there was no paperwork, just take it and go.

8. Malum Prohibitum

Mr. Hooper and his passenger were both carrying openly. His passenger's license is phtocopied onto the affidavit. Keep in mind that Louisiana has no license requirement to carry a pistol openly (just like the majority of states, but not Georgia).

9. Malum Prohibitum

I think this is foolishly naive.

10. Malum Prohibitum

Mr. Anthony O'Dwyer was disarmed at gunpoint and place in handcuffs in the back of a patrol car. There was a reporter present (the one interviewing Mr. O'Dwyer at the time), so maybe there is a "credible" news story relating to this incident.

Receipt requested but refused.

Released with no charges.

There is a Louisiana Supreme Court case stating that open carry in the hand does not give officers justification to seize a person. Unfortunately, the NRA/SAF lawsuit did not bother to go into that kind of stuff. It was not a very aggressive lawsuit, to say the least.

11. Malum Prohibitum

After your father in law watches with his own eyes videos of people being forcibly disarmed by police and military troops, reads the undisputed affidavits of people who were disarmed, and considers whatever other materials you provide to him, I would be interested in learning whether he wishes to continue believing the best about government.

Let him know that Katrina bills have failed -twice- in Georgia, both times under opposition from the Governor and law enforcement groups. Why would law enforcement groups oppose the bill? Because they want the power to seize your weapon at gunpoint, that's why.

Why would the Governor oppose such a bill? Because he wants to have the power to do what the law currently says he can do, that's why!

12. S&W 40

S&W 40 Active Member

MP,

Thanks for the input, it will help me next time he gets me started (or as my wife will say I get him going). I'll have to print some of this and put it in my tackle box for our next fishin trip this week. Have to save it for the trip back or when we are cleaning the boat so I don't have to swim.

13. jgullock

jgullock Active Member

And everyone wonders where the "Tim McVeys" come from...

14. john

john New Member

THE REFERENCE TO HIM, HAS NO PLACE HERE AMONG HONORABLE PEOPLE ON THIS WEB SITE

15. jgullock

jgullock Active Member

16. jgullock

jgullock Active Member

17. Malum Prohibitum

Ya gotta show him the videos . . . :wink:

18. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 1:16

That police chief is disgusting. He should have been thrown in :jail: