Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Under Scrutiny
19,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/latest-news/article88725947.html

Assistant Columbus Police Chief Lem Miller said:
“Hopefully, if that gun has been turned in by someone with evil intentions, if we sell it back later on, it’s a law-abiding citizen that will buy the weapon,†he added.
"Hopefully" a law abiding citizen will buy the weapon? Holy crap.

“The guns are advertised that they’re for sale, and we sell them in batches,†he said, explaining the process. “Someone with a federal firearms license would come in, usually gun dealers, and they would bid on this batch or lot of guns. So, if in fact some guns are turned in, we’re going to turn right around and sell them out back on the street."
Long article.

·
Registered
883 Posts
I've seem some of the stuff that gets turned in....none of which was worth buying.

Unless of course you want to dump more money in them for fix them up.

You do see the occasional nugget though, so if they sell them in batches...i guess you take the good with the bad.

And hope a felon doesn't buy them....lol

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,902 Posts
Why would someone with evil intentions turn in the tools of his trade? Maybe because it was broken, so he could get money or stuff to sell to buy one that works?

“Hopefully, if that gun has been turned in by someone with evil intentions, if we sell it back later on, it’s a law-abiding citizen that will buy the weapon.” - Assistant Columbus Police Chief Lem Miller

·
Registered
9,360 Posts
i guess i have to admit that cops are at least good for one thing...a laugh every now and then.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,519 Posts
The Assistant Chief has it right.
We can't guarantee that any particular gun will be sold to a law-abiding citizen.
Plenty of criminals use straw purchasers to get guns for them.
Some crazies pass the instant background check and are approved to purchase a gun.

But, in the big picture, the problem is NOT too many guns in circulation.
The problem is too many CRIMINALS and LUNATICS have them, and too few decent, law abiding citizens have them and carry them.

If we could quadruple the number of guns "on the streets" in America, but with all of those new gun-toters bona-fide sane and safe good guys and gals with carry permits, crime would drop way down. Criminals would know that when they pull out their guns to commit a crime, they could be shot, either by the victim or just some good Samaritan who happens to be passing by.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts