Gun belt recommendation

Discussion in 'Holsters / Method of Carry' started by Clark, Jan 26, 2019.

1. Clark

Clark Well-Known Member

I definitely need to upgrade my belt, these consumer ones that I get from local stores just don't have the strength even for my LC9. I like AlienGear holsters and they recommend Bigfoot Gun Belts, are they any good? Who else would y'all recommend? Does anyone make a brown/black reversible belt so I don't need a separate belt for more formal occasions? I'm definitely thinking a steel reinforced belt, but what about the Kydex ones?

Thanks!

2. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Contact Al at A&G Gunleather

hma153, krmbigmac and TimBob like this.

3. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Al, from A&G Custom Gun Leather in Cumming.
    I’ve had a belt from him about 8 years now. I wear it 6 days a week.

He’s a GeorgiaCarry.Org member and often a vendor who buys a table at the GCO annual convention.

https://agcustomgunleather.com/

hma153 and TimBob like this.
  4. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

I bought one of the bull hide belts (.com) several years ago. Its not an every day wear, but its worn frequently, and most among my belts. I have not compared it to any of the others mentioned, but this one is good.

Nemo

https://www.bullhidebelts.com/

5. tmoore912

tmoore912 Just a Man

Contact Al at A&G Gunleather. Al's customer service is second to none.

I have three and love them.

A very good nylon belt maker is Blue Alpha Gear in Newnan, GA. https://www.bluealphagear.com/

His Hybrid COBRA® Buckle and Low Profile belts work very well.

All time favorite carry belt is the Ares Gear Aegis belt. Unlimited adjustment for perfect fit with either IWB or OWB. http://www.aresgear.com/

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
    hma153 likes this.
  6. GeorgiaHybrid

GeorgiaHybrid Member

Another vote for Al, have been wearing his belts daily for the last 7 years. I have always bought one of his horsehide belts but might try a bull hide for the next one

7. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

In any case go with a full grain leather. Top grain belts are ok but using holsters with them tends to cause them to separate. Full grain is not sewn or glued in layers to get the thickness. They cost a little more but can be found at more or less reasonable prices on Amazon. I bought mine for about $65 a couple of years ago. Even though it is worn every day for the last 2 years it is not showing signs of wear and is stiff enough to hold up my Desert Eagle steel frame daily carry.

8. Craftsman

Craftsman Well-Known Member

Al at A&G is the best you can get locally. I also like Hanks Amish belts.

9. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
  10. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

I do not have personal experience with the steel insert belts. I just have a problem using a belt that has multiple layers. I did look up some of the reviews on the steel insert belts. Seems they only last a few months before problems start. This has always been my experience with multi layered belts you put the weight of a gun on.

There are other reviews out there about this and separation of the layers but this one sums them up by posting dates which gives a time frame.
    If you do buy a belt wait until you have used it for a while before leaving a review. People are too quick to leave a review on a product they just use for a couple of days and like it for that time period.

11. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

My A&G belt is a double layer of bull hide with a nylon stiffening band glued between them. Several years of daily use later, it’s holding up fine. It bent a little in the first few months to conform to my body’s curves, and has not changed at all since.

12. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

I bought my belt from The Beltman back in 2014 - https://www.thebeltman.net/

It was one of his "quick ship" models @$80 and has held up very well. The original owner has since retired so I can't say if the new owners have changed anything but it appears they haven't.

13. Archangel

Archangel Moderator Staff Member

A&G Custom Gun Leather hands down. I have several of his belts and they are awesome.
    Al is a great guy to deal with too.

14. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Well-Known Member

Someone gave me a coupon for Bigfoot Gun Belts, so I ordered their 18oz leather gun belt with steel core (http://gunbelts.com/gun-belt-1-5-wide-leather-with-core-18-oz). I've had it a little over a year and it is an outstanding belt. I've had other ones that were sagging after a year, even one that had some type of stiff polymer stitched in-between the leather layers.

15. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

If leather is not a requirement you might consider the 5.11 Operator belt Very comfortable, supports your gun and last a long time.

16. Clark

Clark Well-Known Member

So it seems like most people swear by A&G, but I really am intersted in hearing more about steel core belts. I haven't made up my mind yet.

17. tmoore912

tmoore912 Just a Man

You carry a Ruger LC9........you do not need a steel or plastic reinforced belt. You are a civilian that carries a gun, you're not in need of a belt built to be a duty belt and carry 5 lbs of gear.

18. DonT

DonT Deplorable bitter clinger.

I have had an excellent leather gun belt, made by Churchill Leather, a one man shop guy. Great belt, it's been my everyday carry belt for the last 5 years or so. I also have an A&G belt, love that one too. I've ordered a tactical nylon belt from Wilderness Tactical Products, looking forward to seeing how that works for me. I'll probably move to that for everyday carry.

19. a_springfield

a_springfield Well-Known Member

I have been wearing a 5.11 belt for about 6 months. It is ok it is just not leather.

20. Clark

Clark Well-Known Member

Yes, I do currently carry an LC9s, but if I start carrying a P229 and two spare mags next year (or whatever), I don't want to need another gun belt. Plus, my waist is pretty much nonexistent, I'm 6'5" and 200lb, and most of the height is in my legs so I don't have a lot of me to also take the weight of my belt and anything on it. Think about trying to hang a gun on a belt around a straight cylinder. So that's why I'm trying to find out more about the reinforced belts, I think they might do better with my body type.