Guess I'm not going to open carry....

Discussion in 'Places Off-Limits' started by GAGunOwner, Apr 25, 2007.

1. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

In the last day or two I've open carried a couple of times in places that I am absolutely sure are not public gatherings (phone store, gas station, auto parts store). I decided to try it because of the positive experiences I've seen on this board.

Well today, I told my family when I got home that I did it. I told them what I did was 100% legal and that a right that isn't excersized is a right lost. I also said that it is nice for the public to see law abiding citizens(non-cops) carrying weapons. I also stated that I'm only doing this limitedly and only at places that are clearly, not public gatherings.

They didn't seemed too thrilled. One family member is a recently retired GA cop (He told me he didn't know if it was legal to open carry, awhile back, until I proved to him it was).
    He looked like he was dissapoined and said, "Be prepared to talk to the cops!" I said, "I am breaking no law, maybe the cops will learn something." Then my family chimed in, "No, maybe YOU will learn something (impying that I'd be arrested)."

He says, "I don't have an opinion either way (but by his facial expression I think he did) but just get ready to talk to the cops."

Then another family member asked have I ever though of being a cop. Then this other family member said, "You are going to eventually meet up with the wrong cop and he's going to bust you, like if you went into Wal-Mart or something."

I said, "I can't stand the cops being the only ones that carry guns in public." The cop family member says, "If you can't beat 'um, join e'em."

I say, "That is exctly the point, I'm not open carrying because I want to be a cop, I want the public to see non-cops carrying."

I went on to say that being arrested for something that isn't illegal means that we are living in a police state. I say, "I'm doing this for the Constitution."

The former cop tells me, "You need to get over the Constitution for awhile!"

Needless to say that pissed me off.

They just don't get it!

The point of this is that I'm going to halt open carrying for awhile. They have scared me into believing that I will go to jail for not breaking the law (especially since he was a cop). I don't want to hear, "I told you so!"

I am also on the younger side of things and live under their roof so I guess that is the way I'll have to operate...

There's really no point to this other than to vent to people that might actually see my point.

2. S&W 40

S&W 40 Active Member

GA,
    Do what you think is best for you, do not get pressured into something you know is right, and do not let anyone pressure you into giving into thier point of view.

Bottom line live free!

If you are in thier enviroment and they have not said do not, use your best judgement.

3. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

Once everyone cooled down we discussed it again. When I started this tread, I was steaming.

My cop family member said that he is just trying to prevent me from going through the hassle that will eventually happen if I keep open carrying.
    He says that cops are far from attorneys and that they will eventually hassle me and an ignorant cop may arrest me even though it will be dropped after fighting it in court (night in jail, lawers fees, record, etc.).

He says that he has confidence that I know the law and what I'm doing is totally legal.

He told me that I am and adult and I can do whatever I want, he isn't telling me not to do it. He is only advising me that I'll eventually be hasselled and that a cop, ignorant of the law, may arrest me.

He says that if I want to make a statement by open carrying, fine, just be prepared to deal with the cops.

4. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

It is a personal choice to make, but I think if you are gonna give up after some family members think it is stupid you won't be prepared to tell a cop they are wrong.

My parents were not thrilled when I started to open carry. My dad still rolls his eyes when he sees me do it, he thinks I am "looking for a fight and going to get myself killed." But, I still open carry.

Not open carrying because your family doesn't like the idea, to me, is the easy way out.

5. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Black people got hassled for riding in the front of the bus.....didn't stop them.

6. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

I'm scared of the whole, "I told you so" situation occuring now.

7. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

the "I told you the police don't know what the **** they are doing" situation?

Cause honestly, would your family say the same thing if it were a [insert minority group here] if they asserted their rights? I don't know your family, but I am going to assume they would be abhorred by the thought of minorities being denied their Federal and State constitutionally protected rights.

8. Foul

Foul New Member

Are cops TOTALLY immune to false arrest charges?

9. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

If you don't feel comfortable open carrying then don't open carry. There are plenty of people that don't feel comfortable or safe doing so. Don't not open carry because someone else doesn't like it. You have to decide for yourself. I always conceal around my parents, sister and brothers. They are not anti's, and support my owning and shooting guns, except for my sisters husband. He's fairly (but not totally) anti. My father knows and accepts it, as does my mother. Being the youngest of five children, I don't always get taken seriously by or see eye to eye with my brothers or sister. What I do is my business, not theirs.

I agree with Ramm, it is a personal choice. The decision needs to be yours and nor your family's.

10. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

The funny thing is that they are very pro-gun. These are actually the family members that got me into guns.

Cop, GFL holders, NRA member, former FFL/now C&R, owner of legally registered NFA, pro-carry, hunter, semi-AW owner, wants to make GA's laws better, etc.

11. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

And they don't like open carry?

12. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

I think only from a practical standpoint. They are worried for me. I think that they think it is more trouble than it is worth.

13. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

But that trouble should be worth it for the future of OC and the 2A in general.

14. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

THAT woulda set me off.

15. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

He said something when we were talking about this earlier, it didn't quite click at the time but I'll write it here.

This is a paraphrase:
    "You are probably right. You probably won't be arrested if you don't act like a jerk, loose your cool, and tell them that you can do it (open carry)."

That doesn't make sense to me. Are you supposed to conceal your gun, bow down and kiss their shoes and swear that you'll never do it again?

16. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Only if they put a gun to my head, and even then I would probably tell them to s my d.

17. ahlongslide

ahlongslide New Member

Now Ramm... you wouldn't really want a cop with a gun to your head anywhere near your "purple-headed yogurt-slinger" now would you?

:lol:

GAGO, I would say OC... and when you get arrested or almost arrested and the cops DO learn something from it then you will be able to tell your family "I told you so!"

The same cop will probably not do it twice.

18. luke0927

luke0927 New Member

This is a good thread i have heard its not legal to do that....

So say a cop does come up and hassle you and for some reason say F' it im taking you in.....he doesn't know the what actions can you take to "recuperate damages" cause if something like this happens i want someone to be "schooled" on the law and pay me for any lost wages time etc....

When i was in line a few days ago all i heard was " OMG He's got a gun!!!!" from the cashier.....

Do any of you already have your speach laied out as to how you are going to tell the LEO about the law if is unfamiliar whith the law? if so lets hear them.....

19. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

20. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

After all, somebody went to jail in Newnan for carrying at WalMart, and the charge was carrying a deadly weapon at a public gathering.