Guess I Won't Need That .338 Lapua After All

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by moe mensale, Feb 13, 2019.

1. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

It's been well demonstrated over decades that, in general, an AR-15 using some form of 5.56mm ammo has an effective range of 500-800 yards (point vs area target). Granted, if I use it like a mortar I can probably get 2-3,000 yards out of it. Of course, I have no idea what I'm potentially hitting. Or where. Why does anybody still believe Hoggboy has anything useful to say about anything?

https://www.breitbart.com/clips/201...nding-yourself-you-are-hunting-a-human-being/

2. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

why would anybody care what this petulant, rude, conceited CHILD has to say about anything?

He's a teenager that doesn't know squat about guns, or crime, or war, Anerican history, theories of government, the Constitution, the American Revolution, or militia service.

He just has his feelz.

He should stick with that, because if he tries facts or logic, he's going to lose his arguments badly.

3. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

but suppose that David Hogg correctly identified some long range tactical rifle made for sniper or countersniper use --one that is chambered for a round that is known to be good out to 1500 m?

Do doubt Hoggboy would say that such a weapon is made for hunting people; for assassinating victims in cold blood. How would we respond to that ?

If you say, "I only shoot steel or paper targets" he would say, "sure, but that's training on how to shoot people. You're practicing to be an assassin / sniper."

4. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

About every rifle I have had (including .22 rimfire) could push the bullet out to near a mile. I have a fair number of old boxes of 22 ammo that said to pretty much-- be careful, range 1 mile.

We best get them gone too. Shame I had to sell all mine for those scripts and doctor bills.

Nemo

5. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

1760 yards is a mile. The response to Hogg saying it's practice for shooting people would be to ask the question...

Are you really that sick? You would actually use a long range competition to practice shooting people? You need to be locked away someplace so you don't harm yourself or others. Then call in the white coats to take him to his happy space.

zetor likes this.
  6. rle737ng

rle737ng Member

Y'all should show more respect for a future Florida Senator.

7. MLS 4506

MLS 4506 Active Member

I have as much respect for him as I do for the junior senator's from California or New Jersey or Massachusetts

8. zetor

zetor Gaston beat up John

He's a fool no doubt, but I've been asked "what kind of sniper rifle you got there?" by other fools who are 2A all the way.

That's a paper target down there. That's what I'm practicing on to get better at shooting the little circle.

9. mrhutch

mrhutch Well-Known Member

The second amendment exists to give us the right to shoot at people. Government people, specifically.

So yes, I train with my guns in a manner that would allow me to efficiently hunt those people should the need arise. And I am entitled to whatever weapons put me on equal ground or superior ground to those I am hunting.

The second amendment isn't about target shooting or hunting or even muggers in dark alleys or home invaders. It's about shooting your government when they become too tyrannical to tolerate. And it is the duty of every american citizen to be sufficiently armed, provisioned, and capable of doing so should the need arise.

pilotdrh likes this.
  10. moe mensale

His time at Harvard should prove interesting.

11. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

12. Malum Prohibitum

The comments in the boxes (tweets?) in that article are hilarious.

13. moe mensale

Under the right conditions, someone can be assassinated with a #2 lead pencil. Which is made for writing and drawing purposes. Should we outlaw #2 lead pencils just in case? Hoggboy is a fool but he's the left media's fool and a useful idiot to boot. He'll never understand it though.

14. moe mensale

That little sh*t reminds me of Heinrich Himmler. Remember the pics of him wearing an armband on his left sleeve?

15. moe mensale

People getting triggered in 3...2....1... :panic:

16. moe mensale

17. Malum Prohibitum

While that is one way to put it, Madison's explanation in Federalist No. 46 makes it out to be more of a deterrent to government overreaching, that is, so long as the people are armed, no would be dictator is going to dare . . . putting it in plain English.

That necessarily implies the ability to "shoot people," but there is a distinction there.

18. mrhutch

Obviously it's not a blank check to go around assassinating public officials you disagree with.

But the purpose of the 2nd is to allow us to be armed and capable of revolution. Which means being armed as equally as our government. With weapons that are, let's face it, more efficient for killing than some others would be. There's a reason I keep an AR by my night stand and not a bolt action hunting rifle. And it's not because it's more fun to take to the range.

19. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

I believe you are mistaken. Tyrannical government is but one of the things the 2A recognizes. I think you're trying to remove a comma between "free state" and "the right". The comma's are there for a reason and the right is not limited to a specific reason. It is a right you are born with and the 2A recognizes as such.

20. mrhutch

No I agree, bearing arms is a NATURAL right. I mispoke. The bill of rights does not GIVE us rights, it lists the rights that we are born with and prohibits the government from infringing on them.

21. jsaund22

jsaund22 Ninjaneering Computers

It's doing a piss-poor job of that...