Gubernatorial Debate on PBS

Discussion in 'GA Laws and Politics' started by phantoms, Oct 4, 2010.

1. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

I got to see the debate that was rebroadcast on PBS Knowledge tonight (Debate was Sun 10-3). You can watch it on the PBS site at http://www.gpb.org/news/elections about halfway down the page.

Barnes and Deal snuck in quite a few personal attacks. You can tell Monds is not a polished candidate, but I was still impressed with him. When asked about the violence on college campuses, he came right out and said that it's basically that way because our students are not allowed to protect themselves. He went on to say that we need to allow our faculty and our students to carry on campuses. We need to allow them to protect themselves. I do not in a million years believe Barnes or Deal would have come out and said we need to allow carry on campus.

Giving that I live in Georgia, I feel a lot of people here would let skin color effect their vote for a person, which is very unfortunate as I feel Monds would be the best person for the job. Very strong on downsizing government, giving control back over to the people, free market control, etc. Basically what our forefathers envisioned.

I have been a lifelong republican, but I can not in good faith vote for Deal. I feel that even if I was a Democrat, I couldn't in good faith give a vote for Barnes. Both of them are as crooked as they come and the main problem with what is wrong with politics. Come Nov., Monds will be getting my vote.

2. patrick4588

patrick4588 New Member

Problem is other people won't vote for monds and your vote will be a waste. Politics is picking the less evil lately.

3. samman23

samman23 New Member

Phantoms isn't alone. I will be voting Monds alongside him. I am not picking the less evil. I like Monds. I think he is intelligent and has a sense that is not common in politicians these days. I would love to have him as my governor.

even if Monds does not win I am still glad to vote my conscience and glad to send a message to the established parties that they did not put up a candidate that I believe in. If Monds does win he will not be the first third party candidate governor. Jesse Ventura won that honor.

4. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

My vote is not a waste.It's who I feel is the best for the job. It also let's Barnes and Deal know that people do not support them. Enough votes for Monds and there will be a run off (probably between Deal and Barnes unfortunately). Having to have a run off because Monds got enough votes to cause one would further get the voice across that we are disappointed with the two mainstream choices.

A wasted vote is someone who skips voting because they're too lazy to go vote, someone who votes for someone who they feel doesn't represent their views or someone who votes for the lesser of two evils even though there is a better choice running.

5. 45_Fan

45_Fan Well-Known Member

A third party vote is never wasted. One (if not both) of the dominant parties will adapt their platforms to address the disenfranchised voting block won by a third party candidate. Sure the change that brings on takes an extra election cycle, but the same change might take a lifetime otherwise.

Third parties also keep US politics from entirely degrading to a "Vote for me because I'm not the other guy" platform. Small nudges move the boat in more predictable and safer ways than large explosions and mob steering.

6. slammy

slammy New Member

Lately? I only voted for 1 person in my 53 years, every other time I was voting against someone.

7. samman23

samman23 New Member

One of these three is not like the others. And I don't mean just by color.
    [​IMG]

8. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

I've got news for you. The reason Monds doesn't have a chance has nothing to do with his skin color.