Guard Shot During Armored Car Robbery

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Sharky, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Sharky

Sharky New Member

Guard Shot During Armored Car Robbery

POSTED: 10:05 am EDT October 19, 2006
    UPDATED: 12:38 pm EDT October 19, 2006

DEKALB COUNTY -- Armed robbers shot and wounded an armored car guard twice during a hold-up Thursday in Dekalb County.

Police say the stick-up men confronted two guards as they made a transfer at a bank at 4235 Eastside Drive.

The robbers grabbed a duffel bag full of cash and took off, according to police.

The two guards started chasing the two men. That's when one of the gunmen opened fired, hitting one of the guards in the hand and the ear.

He is expected to recover from his wounds.

Police are searching for the two suspects.

2. Sharky

Sharky New Member

So let me see, the gaurds dont understand that the money is insured and chase these guys even after they already had posession of the money. Thats probably not in the company handbook for SOP's.....

3. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

say WHAT?

After the robbers successfully got the money from the armored car couriers, and as the robbers were escaping from the scene, the guards chased after them?

On foot or in their armored vehicle?

Were the guards still armed? If so, why would the robbers have turned their back on still-armed guards? Were the robbers COUNTING on the guards' self-control or timidness or desire to obey the company's policy?

If the guards were not armed, that is, if the robbers had taken their guns from them during the robbery, why would two unarmed men chase after a group of armed men who had just successfully robbed them? That is about the stupidest thing that I've ever heard of. Talk about trying to earn a Darwin Award.

In hindsight, now that we know these particular robbers did not intend to hurt anyone unless provoked or cornered, the safest thing for the guards to have done would have been to just take notes on what the bad guys looked like, where they went, etc.. Maybe they could have tried to follow them in their armored vehicle, with all the doors shut and locked and the windows / air vents fully closed.

4. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Come on, guys. You all know you would want to chase them, too.

5. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Darwinism

I'd have the primal urge to chase them, sure. Just like a little yappy dog from a few blocks over has a primal urge to chase me when I'm jogging. But both kinds of chasers ought to pause and think, "Is this really a good idea? What if I actually catch up to the thing I'm chasing?" At that point I think I'd break off the case. These guards didn't, and suffered for it. That little yappy dog has so far compromised, staying just out of my foot's reach. Perhaps he knows how closely he resembles a football and how the telephone poles along the road look like goal posts to me.

6. Macktee

Macktee New Member

Yeah, but the dropped the bag containing the money......

7. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

Nice editing work. Where was this published?

8. Sharky

Sharky New Member

WXIA published the report if I remember correctly. MP can always be counted on to provide the humor side of things. :)

9. Sharky

Sharky New Member

more from WXIA

Bullets were flying around a busy Dekalb County shopping center during peak business hours Thursday morning. It happened during an attempted armored car robbery. Two suspects and two couriers with A.T. Systems exchanged numerous rounds of fire. The two gunmen are still on the loose.

A sea of yellow placards marks the spots where shell casings were found around the armored car. It sat in the parking lot of the RBC Centura Bank on Wesley Chapel Road. The FBI and Dekalb County police say two men with guns approached the armored car while the couriers were servicing the bank. They grabbed a duffle bag full of money and shots were exchanged.

More shots were fired as the suspects ran with the loot. The two gunmen, chased by one of the couriers, ran into the Snapfinger Plaza shopping center adjacent to the bank. As the suspects were running by a dry cleaning business, one turned and fired at the courier. During an exchange of gunfire, the courier was hit in the hand. He was transported to Dekalb Medical Center where surgery was performed on his hand.

“I just heard gunshots,†said Nancy Holtztrager, an employee of the dry cleaning business. She says she was in the back of the store pressing clothes when she heard the shots. When asked how many, Holtztrager said “Bunches. I don't know, ten? A lot.â€

The gunmen appeared to be trapped when they ran into a fenced-in parking lot behind a U. S. Post Office. Witnesses say they jumped on a parked car in the post office parking lot and hurdled over the fence. The witnesses said they saw them jump into a getaway car. “We are currently looking for a burgundy, four-door sedan, possibly a Chevroletâ€, said FBI special agent Stephen Emmett.

The suspects have to be wondering if it was worth it. They were forced to drop the duffle bag full of money because it was slowing them down during the foot chase.

The FBI is looking at surveillance cameras from several businesses in the shopping plaza to see if any of them have pictures of the suspects.

10. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Had there been no chase, the thieves would have gotten away with the money . . . and after such an easy score might have been emboldened to do it again.

The chase showed them there are costs to their behavior - huge risks.

I am a firm believer that there woud be a lot less crime if criminals knew everybody they encountered would do their best to capture or kill them. Criminals act freely because they know people are too scared to act.

If this outcome could have been foreseen, the criminals would not have tried the robbery in the first place.

11. Sharky

Sharky New Member

I wonder if the gaurds had a protocal per companies procedures. Are they allowed to give chase in this situation. I know nothing about armed gaurds. hopefully they dont get reprimanded for pursuing a criminal.