Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

GSUSnake - Don't go into a Wells Fargo Bank either

1K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  wsweeks2 
#1 ·
Check this out - this guy didn't even have a gun and he got harassed (three guesses why). I hope the bank gets hung out to dry (Walmart too in GSUSnakes case). :evil:

http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dws/w ... ad2c0.html

Man mistaken for bank robber hears 911 call

09:53 AM CDT on Tuesday, September 11, 2007

By STEVE STOLER / WFAA-TV
Courtesy: Jordan Hashem

Derrill Ewans, left, was handcuffed and detained outside the bank.

9/10: Man mistaken for bank robber held at gunpoint

FRISCO â€" As Frisco police launch a formal investigation after a bank customer was detained based on a teller's suspicions, the customer has now hired a lawyer.

It all started when a Wells Fargo personal banker called 911.

"We have two males that walked into our branch, possibility of a gun in his pocket," the teller said. "He's sitting down with a personal banker."

A second personal banker then played down the ordeal to the 911 operator and asked for either a plain-clothed officer to take a look or have an officer simply drive by.

The banker told the operator there was not a robbery in progress.

"We're talking to him about a loan that he's doing and everything else and one of our tellers thought that he had a weapon on him," the banker said.

An amateur photographer shot video that showed police enter the bank, handcuff Derrill Ewans and force him to the ground. Officers also surrounded a car where Ewans' girlfriend and her 3-year-old daughter were waiting for him. They handcuffed the mother and put the mother and child into a squad car.

Ewans said he felt "completely violated." Ewans and his lawyer, Texas Senator Royce West, listened to the 911 call Monday.

"None of these things they're saying right here sound like anything like what took place," Ewans said of the call.

West said he is concerned how Ewans' visit to the bank turned into what it did.

"I think at that particular branch, they're not used to seeing African Americans in there," West said. "And I guess the suspicion that first came up is that he had a gun on him, and I just can't understand what that was all about."

Frisco police said they had no choice but to respond the way they did to the call of a suspicious man who possible may have a gun inside the bank. They said they could not take the word of the personal banker that things were okay inside without knowing if he was under duress.

Ewans said he still hasn't received any explanations from the bank or the police department as to why he was considered armed and suspicious.

"I feel completely violated," Ewans said.

A Wells Fargo spokesperson said there were a number of factors that caused their employees to be concerned and call the police, but wouldn't go into details about what those factors were due to privacy and security issues.

Bank executives and Frisco police said they would like to talk with Ewans about the incident.

#2 ·
The closest TX has to a printing clause is if you intentionally fail to conceal. I see nothing in the article that says the bank posted a 30.06* as well. The Frisco PD are going to have a lot of explaining ahead of them.

TX has a sign law and it's pretty strict- to the posters. For example, if the letters aren't big enough, or two contrasting colors (among other things), the sign is invalid.

#3 ·
jgullock said:
Check this out - this guy didn't even have a gun and he got harassed (three guesses why). I hope the bank gets hung out to dry (Walmart too in GSUSnakes case). :evil:

http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dws/w ... ad2c0.html

Man mistaken for bank robber hears 911 call

09:53 AM CDT on Tuesday, September 11, 2007

By STEVE STOLER / WFAA-TV
Courtesy: Jordan Hashem

Derrill Ewans, left, was handcuffed and detained outside the bank.

9/10: Man mistaken for bank robber held at gunpoint

FRISCO â€" As Frisco police launch a formal investigation after a bank customer was detained based on a teller's suspicions, the customer has now hired a lawyer.

It all started when a Wells Fargo personal banker called 911.

"We have two males that walked into our branch, possibility of a gun in his pocket," the teller said. "He's sitting down with a personal banker."

A second personal banker then played down the ordeal to the 911 operator and asked for either a plain-clothed officer to take a look or have an officer simply drive by.

The banker told the operator there was not a robbery in progress.

"We're talking to him about a loan that he's doing and everything else and one of our tellers thought that he had a weapon on him," the banker said.

An amateur photographer shot video that showed police enter the bank, handcuff Derrill Ewans and force him to the ground. Officers also surrounded a car where Ewans' girlfriend and her 3-year-old daughter were waiting for him. They handcuffed the mother and put the mother and child into a squad car.

Ewans said he felt "completely violated." Ewans and his lawyer, Texas Senator Royce West, listened to the 911 call Monday. "None of these things they're saying right here sound like anything like what took place," Ewans said of the call.

West said he is concerned how Ewans' visit to the bank turned into what it did.

"I think at that particular branch, they're not used to seeing African Americans in there," West said. "And I guess the suspicion that first came up is that he had a gun on him, and I just can't understand what that was all about."

Frisco police said they had no choice but to respond the way they did to the call of a suspicious man who possible may have a gun inside the bank. They said they could not take the word of the personal banker that things were okay inside without knowing if he was under duress.

Ewans said he still hasn't received any explanations from the bank or the police department as to why he was considered armed and suspicious.

"I feel completely violated," Ewans said.

A Wells Fargo spokesperson said there were a number of factors that caused their employees to be concerned and call the police, but wouldn't go into details about what those factors were due to privacy and security issues.

Bank executives and Frisco police said they would like to talk with Ewans about the incident.
:shock:

#5 ·
Just out of curiosity, why was this moved to off-topic (Not 2nd Amendment or firearm related)? It is "gun" related no?

"possibility of a gun in his pocket"

"one of our tellers thought that he had a weapon on him"

"the suspicion that first came up is that he had a gun on him"

"Ewans said he still hasn't received any explanations from the bank or the police department as to why he was considered armed"

#6 ·
jgullock said:
Just out of curiosity, why was this moved to off-topic (Not 2nd Amendment or firearm related)? It is "gun" related no?

"possibility of a gun in his pocket"

"one of our tellers thought that he had a weapon on him"

"the suspicion that first came up is that he had a gun on him"

"Ewans said he still hasn't received any explanations from the bank or the police department as to why he was considered armed"
Well, it's more of an In The news topic to me. Since we're not discussing an actual firearm, but the response to one, I think it should stay out of Firearms.

#12 ·
triggerman357 said:
AeroShooter said:
His crime was obvious: Applying for a loan while black...
Incidents like this is why I never oc. I don't need the hassle of being slam to ground by the police in front of my wife and kids because I choose to exercise my 2A rights.
Like I've told my fiancee - as long as I'm not doing anything wrong, I am not worried about something like this happening. If it does, there will be an equal and opposite reaction through litigation.

#13 ·
Malum Prohibitum said:
triggerman357 said:
Incidents like this is why I never oc. I don't need the hassle of being slam to ground by the police in front of my wife and kids because I choose to exercise my 2A rights.
:cry:

I would not have done that to you.
Well most cops don't think like you. I tried OC'ing to few places and spent more energy checking the environment than enjoying my outing. This guy was unarmed, but what if he was CC'ing with a permit. That teller's suspicions could have led to him being charge with attempted robbery, or killed by police because he showed some resistance.

#14 ·
wsweeks2 said:
triggerman357 said:
AeroShooter said:
His crime was obvious: Applying for a loan while black...
Like I've told my fiancee - as long as I'm not doing anything wrong, I am not worried about something like this happening. If it does, there will be an equal and opposite reaction through litigation.
triggerman357 shares the same concern that the person in the original news story does, wsweeks2.

I cannot extend a guarantee to a white man that such a concern is without foundation, but I am utterly without confidence that triggerman357 may openly carry without being molested by the local constabulary.

#15 ·
Malum Prohibitum said:
triggerman357 shares the same concern that the person in the original news story does, wsweeks2.

I cannot extend a guarantee to a white man that such a concern is without foundation, but I am utterly without confidence that triggerman357 may openly carry without being molested by the local constabulary.
Agree. My next door neighbor and good friend is a black man who has a GFL. He and I have discussed the laws in Georgia (and I have tried and continue to try to get him to join GCO). His statement to me just last week hits right along with what Triggerman is saying in that while he has jumped through every legal hoop in order to be able to carry a firearm he would never do so openly because of his concern that he would be "just another black man carrying a gun" (his words) and that the police would treat him as a thug before bothering to check for any credentials. The sad thing about it is that he is most likely right.

#18 ·
wsweeks2 said:
+100
I hope the guy ends up getting a loan from the bank. The kind with no interest that you don't have to pay back with the amount set by a jury that sees this for what it is.

#19 ·
I personally don't see why race is an issue - unless *GASP* the cops are either profiling or racist *GASP*!!!

Look at the guy in VA who wasn't even in the bank. The LEO's in that case are going to find out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.