GSSF Match Anderson SC

Discussion in 'GENERAL EVENTS' started by glockgirl, Mar 19, 2007.

1. glockgirl

glockgirl New Member

I have been wanting to check one of these out. this one is only 1.5 hrs from Athens. Is anyone going or want to? I thought about going to the one at Ft. Benning but it is a horse show weekend.... and 3 hrs away.

2. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I just sent in my registration for Ft. Benning, and will more than likely be going to Anderson too. I went to Conyers last Fall with ,y G17 (3 weeks old at the time) and had a blast. I can't pass up the do it again when there's a close match.

Who shows horses? My little girl does combined training and eventing.

3. glockgirl

glockgirl New Member

I show miniatures. Driving, obstacle, and jumping. Newton Co has an open (regular, pony, draft, mini) show. I used to show reining horses too.

i'm not competing but my horse is. He is the one we loan to everyone that doesn't have a horse.... old faithful he is.

Even though I have read the GSSF site I am still confused how stuff works so I figured I would just go and check one out. Of course I tend to be highly competive so I really don't need another event to try.....

4. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Sounds alot like Lexxy (my 10yr old daughter). She's currently training for tetrathlon competion. The tetrathlon is a combination of show jumping, a 500 meter run, a 50 meter swim, and air pistols at 10 meters.

It make me proud to see that 80lb 10yr old girl control that 1300lb Thoroughbred/Quarter horse cross(He's 16 hands 2"), and do good at her dressage, cross country, and take him over 2' 9" fences (she's practicing at 3' 3", but shows at 2' 9").

If you have a chance to go to one of the GSSF mathces be sure to bring ammo. After you see it, you'll want to compete. I'm looking foward to exacting some revenge on the plate rack. At Conyers, the plate rack killed my score. I guess that what happens when you use a new pistol that you've only shot twice, and that you haven't shot after having a trigger job done and new sights installed. I plan on doing alot better at Ft Benning and even better at Anderson.

5. glockgirl

glockgirl New Member

I love watching the tetrathlons! I can't run worth a darn but it does look like fun.

I probably should leave the ammo at home so I don't embrass myself...

6. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Trust me, you can't do any worse that I did at Conyers. MY score started with a 3, and I wasn't in the 30 second range. :oops:

7. Mike from Philly

Mike from Philly New Member

First, don't be embarrassed. We've all been at the bottom of the list. I've seen some really good shooters go down in flames at a GSSF match (scores in the high 200's). As long as you are safe, hold your head high and don't be embarrassed.

GSSF is an accuracy match. Slow is Fast. Shoot slower but be sure you hit the target and have all A and Bs. If you do that, your times will drop fast because you won't have so many seconds added to your time for the penalties. One technique I recommend is to establish a slow cadence for your shooting. Its very easy to feel like you got to machine gun down the targets. You got to erase that mindset. When you are up, say to your self "1 shoot, 2 shoot, 3 shoot, 4 shoot", etc. Whenever you hear "shoot", take the shot. Missing a target is 5 seconds, you can aim a long time in 5 seconds.

Plates are disaster for most people. The key to the plates is to put the front sight at the top 1/4 of the plate. What happens to most people is they shoot and then watch the plate fall. This lowers their point of impact to the steel bar. Look at the bar, its amazing how many shots end there. You can train yourself to always aim at the proper spot by putting a white paper plate on the wall. Then move your pistol to the plate. Repeat every night, and you'll beat most of the people shooting plates. In my basement, I've got 6 paper plates taped to the wall. I practice drawing to the first plate then move the pistol to each plate. I don't pull the trigger, I train my eyes to move to the plate and have my hands follow.

If you are looking for a match that occurs more often, I recommend the Griffin Gun Club. GGC has a steel match the first Saturday of the month. Here is their web site: http://www.griffinsteelmatch.com/ Its a very good match to start with. A little secret .... several of the top steel shooters in the world shoot at Griffin. The cool part is that they love helping out beginners.

8. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Mike,

Have you decided if you are going to Ft Benning yet?

9. Mike from Philly

Mike from Philly New Member

I'm going skip Benning. River Bend gun club is having an IPSC match on Saturday so I'm going to shoot that instead.

Good Luck. I hope you win a pistol!!!!

10. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Me too !!! I want a 34.