GSP looking to fill over 100 positions

Discussion in 'Georgia In the News' started by phantoms, May 15, 2018.

1. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

Full story at http://www.wtoc.com/story/38186589/georgia-state-patrol-looking-to-fill-over-100-positions

Georgia State Patrol is trying to fill around 150 trooper positions. The Georgia Department of Safety has experienced a shortage of troopers for quite some time.

“Right now, we are currently in the neighborhood of 150 troopers short. We have trooper schools that are ongoing, so we are constantly trying to fill those positions,” said Captain Billy Hitchens, Troop F Commander.

Hitchens said their recruiting unit and Governor Deal’s 20 percent pay increase to state troopers and law enforcement has helped the shortage of troopers but has not resolved the problem.

UtiPossidetis likes this.
  2. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

As I have repeatedly said - I have never, not once, had a negative interaction with a Trooper from the GSP. Unlike municipal officers they have consistently been incredibly competent and professional. I hope that the recent pay increase helps resolve this critical shortage and continues to bring in the highest quality people for the difficult job of being a Trooper.

3. atlsrt44

atlsrt44 Active Member

Big training differences I believe

4. rjinga

rjinga Member

I'm the proud dad of a new Trooper (he graduated last Friday from the 102nd Trooper School), so with my bias admitted up-front, here are my observations and comments:

I was really impressed with the thoroughness of the initial application process (interview, background check, psychological evaluation, polygraph, PT, medical, etc.). It literally takes months to complete and eliminates a lot of the applicants.

The Basic Mandate Peace Officer Training program at the Ga. Public Safety Training Center (GPSTC) consists of 408 course hours and takes 11 weeks. Trooper School lasts 32 weeks, with 1,053 hours of classroom and group instruction (directed by GSP officers) at GPSTC, and an additional 480 hours of "on the road" field training in three different areas of the state.

I have a lot of stories from my son about how physically, mentally, and emotionally demanding Trooper School was; however, I'll just summarize them with one anecdote - my son said that every cadet in his class with prior military experience said that this was harder than boot camp was.

IIRC, 73 cadets reported on October 1, 2017; the first one quit within the first hour. The last cadet was released about three weeks into field training. 38 graduated on May 11, 2018.

5. Mrs_Esterhouse

Mrs_Esterhouse Swollen Member

What do these guys do besides issue revenue collection slips? Serious question.

6. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Executive protection, court protection, Capitol security, highway patrol, and other general law enforcement duties at the State level.

7. rjinga

rjinga Member

"Although focused primarily on the enforcement of traffic laws and investigation of traffic crashes, the Department of Public Safety [GSP] will support the efforts of all public safety agencies to reduce crime, apprehend those who commit them, and respond to natural and manmade disasters."