GSP good response Tifton, GA

Discussion in 'LEO Encounters' started by GMan45ACP, Jun 23, 2016.

1. GMan45ACP

GMan45ACP New Member

I was on my way down to Florida when I decided to hold a two car insurance seminar on I-75, "Deputy Fife" was the first to arrive on scene with Tift Co Sheriff's and I handed him both my DL and GWL. He did not seem to care at all about that I was "packing" as he did not even ask if I had it on me when he handed back the GWL. Maybe he wasn't really concerned due to the fact that he was not working the accident. I stood with him for about thirty minutes waiting for the GSP Officer who was working it to make it back to me for my side of the story, and as soon as he did pull up I stated that I was unsure if he had been informed and handed him the GWL. He did ask if I had it on me at that time, which I responded yes and told him exactly where it was located, and he handed back my GWL and stated "Ok, don't show me yours and I won't show you mine". That of course got a grin out of both of us and we continued on with the seminar.

I am aware that that I did not have to inform any of the officers that I was carrying, but I knew that at some point I was going to move in a manner that would expose my firearm, and I really did not feel like having one pointed at me at that time. Of course at some point I did end up exposing and the second GSP officer quietly said "You may want to fix yourself" as my shirt got caught behind the grip as I was stretching across my car to access my dash-cam for him.

Overall great experience even considering the reason I had to deal with LE.

2. HCountyGuy

HCountyGuy Well-Known Member

Glad to hear of yet another positive response from law enforcement.

3. Crawdaddyjc

Crawdaddyjc Member

Why would he want you to fix yourself? OC is not against the law. Tifton isnt in florida. Maybe he was nervous about having one less layer between your hand and weapon.
    Im just curious not trying to be an ass. Sucks you had a siminar and hope all is well. I like it when leo shrug off the fact we are smart enough to carry.

4. GMan45ACP

GMan45ACP New Member

I just assumed that he figured since I was CC in the first place that I may want to remain that way.

5. Mrs_Esterhouse

Mrs_Esterhouse Swollen Member

These kinds of stories make me ill. And no, I'm in no way suggesting you shouldn't have posted OP nor am I trying to silence you. I just don't understand this master/servant relationship GWL holders have with the police. I don't understand the giddyness and enthusiasm for disclosing everything to law enforcement. They don't hand out prizes.... What's wrong with carrying like normal without all the proclamations? When I walk around my neighborhood, I don't hand my GWL to every cop I walk past. Why should an accident scene be any different?

Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
  6. GMan45ACP

GMan45ACP New Member

I get what you are saying, as I stated before that I know I do not have to inform them in the first place. I just did not want to surprise any of the LEO's on the scene while I had my back turned to them (due to the position I was carrying that is the only way they would have seen it) and then find a gun pointed at me, I have watched plenty of videos that turned out rough for the armed citizen. And since I was on my way to begin my vacation I did not want any more of a delay than I was already faced with. I do not even blink an eye when carrying around town and pass any LE along my path, I just go about my business as usual.

7. DotNetDog

DotNetDog Member

I drove down to Florida today too. I already knew that Georgia it not a "must inform" state and I verified my belief that Florida is also not a "must inform" state. I drove down assured that I would not offer any such information in the event that I had any encounters with police from either state. Of course, if I felt that there was ever a chance of a pat down then I would share prior....otherwise, I operate under the "it's none of their business" motto.

8. HCountyGuy

This all-too-familiar criticism makes me ill, especially considering the OP clearly articulated the "why" of his decision to inform the responding officers as well as his acknowledgement there is no "duty to inform".

I get it, you're all about "ma ritez". How about respecting his to conduct himself in whatever fashion he sees fit in such an encounter? For some folks so high-strung about resisting the will of others, there sure seems to be a lot of trying to impose your mentality un to others. I believe the term hypocrisy is applicable.

And we sit and wonder why so many people no longer actively contribute to this board...

9. Mrs_Esterhouse

Your criticism-criticism bile really makes me :puke:

:)

Kidding aside, you are celebrating one's willful surrender of their Fifth Amendment rights and reprimanding me for having frustratedly called it out. :-|

Yes, I understand people can choose whatever they want, but I will neither cheer it on nor remain silent about it.

Oh, your last part, that's because of Facebook.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
  10. HCountyGuy

I wouldn't exactly call it celebrating their willful surrender of his rights, more that I can see the reasoning behind the decision and respect it. I understand and support the fight to preserve and take back our rights, but recognize each of us are left to our own decisions as far as what circumstances necessitate invoking them. He made what I would consider an informed decision to limit the likelihood of winding up at gunpoint should his weapon show, which did happen, but thankfully the troopers weren't the hot-head type to see a lawful citizen with a gun and go apesh*t.

I sympathize with the frustration of hearing of others willfully and needlessly surrendering their rights, but I'm not convinced this to necessarily fit all such parameters.

11. Crawdaddyjc

Crawdaddyjc Member

I can see both sides to the inform or not inform. I say,while sitting in my livingroom, i wouldnt say anything unless required. But.. I have not had the blue lights behind me in over 25 years. I think the stress would not make me a bumbling idiot but i would do what i thought would reduce the stress of all involved. If that ment revealing i was carrying i would do whatever i could to make the whole process easier for me and my family. But if i got pulled over- its obvious that i am a supporter of 2A, my country, the navy, and my college football team. GO VOLS! Lol.

I only questioned why the cop would even care and tell him to fix himself since in georgia it doesnt matter. But i can see if someone is cc and you acidentially show- the cop may see that your carry preference is not to show and thats why he said that. I expect if op was oc the cop wouldnt have even said fix yourself. I say any encounter that you dont end up dead or in jail is good.

12. OWM

OWM Well-Known Member

Another reason why so many just circle this place as a Drone would on a mission. Stay silent and don't get noticed. If a good target pops up take it out and leave til the next mission.

A man stating his reasons for an action he felt was right should not make One ill but maybe spark some thoughtful and fruitful conversation.

13. FmrPFCBob

FmrPFCBob Active Member

that's sadly not as common as it should be here

14. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

This, I really don't understand it, I think it comes from statist who have been indoctrinated since grade school that they are our masters and we are their slaves. It's not really their fault, they just don't have what it takes to ever grow out of that indoctrination to realize they don't have to ask their permission for everything when around them. Also, how doggone sad is it that Americans have to feel they must cow tow to an officer just in order to make sure you're not tazed, shot, have guns pointed at you, arrested, jailed, ect? How far have we fallen as a country and people? Furthermore, this type of thinking just perpetuates this problem and makes it worse, and even worse some officers get off on having this control over the citizenry. Disgusting.

15. EJR914

The sad truth

16. EJR914

How freaking sad that we have to worry about getting shot just because an officer might notice we're armed. Disgusting and sad, what has happened to peace officers of today where we have to worry about this?

17. EJR914

This. I'm glad he speaks out for rights.

18. EJR914

Please explain to my why we have to be worried about an officer holding us at gun point simply because we are armed? You and I both know that's aggravated assault right there, even if some crooked judge says is not later on, you and I both know it is. Why do we have to be so worried about cops committing aggravated assault on us or worse?

19. Mrs_Esterhouse

The core problem is immunity from almost anything when acting officially.