Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Santa (wife) surprised me with a GSG 5 .22lr. I have already been searching the web for accessories, and decided on a retractable stock and a forward grip for starters. My question is the legality. What is considered a "short barreled rifle"? I have read the laws, but am a bit confused and want to hear it in english from the experts (ya'll). Right now, it is in "pistol" form. I want to set up a cool plinker, but don't want to break the law. Thanks in advance for your help.

Also, before I get a :ttiwwp: I am too computer illiterate to figure out how to get pics up1

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
If it is a pistol, then no stock, or forward grip without the tax stamp.($200) Then, once it is a rifle you can not change it back to the pistol.

Merry Christmas! :righton:

·
Registered
15,974 Posts
Is your gun currently legally considered and handgun or a rifle?

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,149 Posts
I didn't even know the GSG-5 came in a pistol version, but apparently it does.

Here's one from the distributor's website:
http://www.gsg5rifle.com/item/85932...d_Guns_Pistols_GSG_GERG2210MP5PK_MP5_Pis.aspx

If it's a pistol, you can't put a vertical fore-grip on it without first registering it as an AOW (Any Other Weapon).

If it's a pistol, you could make it into a rifle by adding both a 16" or longer barrel AND a shoulder stock, at the same time, and never having possession of either one without the other, so it's obvious that the only time you intend to use the long barrel is WITH the shoulder stock and the only time you intend to use the short barrel is without the stock.

But even if the above is legal under federal law, it's not legal according to BATF's retarded interpretation of the law.
Their position is once you add a shoulder stock and rifle-length barrel to a pistol, you have "manufactured" a rifle.
Therefore if you take the barrel and stock off of your "rifle" you have "made a pistol from a rifle" which is always considered a "short barreled rifle."

BATF lost a U.S. Supreme Court case over this issue, but they didn't see the error of their ways and they are still threatening to prosecute people over it if you do it for any guns other than a T/C Encore carbine.

·
Registered
15,974 Posts
I got one of these recently as a gift too. :mrgreen:

Mine is a GSG-5 pistol so it has a short-barrel and no stock. I want to put a collapasable stock on it so I decided to go through the whole NFA process to make it a SBR. I'm waiting on the paperwork to be approved by the BATFE. Once I get the approved form 1 I'll them purchase a collapsable stock and put it on the gun.

I went ahead and had the required SBR engraving done by Orion Arms. They were very fast and not too expensive. They did a good job.

http://www.orion-arms.com/

I wanted to make my gun look pretty close to an MP-5 so I found a three-lug for the barrel instead of the ugly flash hider.
They have them here:

http://www.swarfworks.com/gsg5-p3_-_purchase.php

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but it makes no sense to me how you can have the exact same gun, but with a stock, and you have to buy a $200 stamp. Does the stock and fore grip give it special powers? It is the exact same gun! I could probably understand better if you had a rifle and sawed off the barrel, removed the fore grip and stock (more concealed), but making a .22 longer!? What crazy stuff are we gonna have to deal with in the future? I have never dealt with assault rifles (other than work), but I knew I had to be reading the regs wrong--guess not. Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
8,432 Posts
For a rifle, you need to keep 26" overall with a 16" barrel measured from closed breach face with a rod or dowel. Do not go under those dimensions without a stamp. Vertical front grip, folding stock, etc are okay.

For a pistol, do not add a stock or vertical front grip without the relevant stamp.

A tape measure should tell you what you have. It may also be stamped on the receiver or you should be able to contact the manufacturer and ask about your specific serial number.

·
Registered
15,974 Posts
45_Fan said:
It may also be stamped on the receiver or you should be able to contact the manufacturer and ask about your specific serial number.
The ones I've seen are not marked pistol or rifle.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts