Greetings from Ohio

Discussion in 'Places Off-Limits' started by mbott, Jan 14, 2006.

1. mbott

mbott New Member

Found your site because I was researching CHL in Georgia prior to a visit in mid-February. I've been able to digest a bit about concealed carry in Georgia, however the concept of "public gathering" is proving somewhat elusive. Even the "unofficial opinions" on the AGs website are not as enlightening as I would have hoped.

The reason for my visit is to attend one of the Scott Antique shows at the Atlanta Exposition Center, but the more I read, the more I believe carrying there just might be prohibited. Correct? I'm well aware that there is no reciprocity granted with my Ohio CHL, but I believe my New Hampshire CHL would have me covered.

Thanks for any guidance you can provide.

--
    Mike

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

That's an understatement! :shock: :eek:

3. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I guess we should not complain too much, as I have heard of the troubles in Ohio's law, but the public gathering restrictions in Georgia are frankly terrible. Unfortunately, I do not think you are going to get a reliable opinion one way or another. Some people will tell you that if the place charges admission, it is not a public gathering, but nobody has ever produced any authority for that proposition.

That is one of the reasons we would like to get rid of that restriction altogether.

I will tell you to bring your firearm, though, even if you do not carry at the actual market, because the area around the market is not the most safe area around Atlanta.

I would also research whether the building is publicly owned or operated, because, if it is, then you are prohibited. If it is not, you still might be . . .

Also be careful with the airport, if you are flying in . . .

4. mbott

mbott New Member

The one thing about Ohio's CHL is it is pretty explicit in defining where you can and can't carry. Not much is left to intrepretation. The car carry rules are lame (can't carry concealed in a vehicle), but there's a fix working it's way through the General Assembly.

Been trying to do that, too.

Thanks for the reply,

--
    Mike