Green Laser Sights

Discussion in 'Firearm Related' started by gunsmoker, Oct 2, 2010.

1. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

This is a public service announcement of sorts.
    Did y'all know that there are green lasers on the market for very reasonable prices, and these green lasers are way more powerful and bright than the red lasers that we have seen on guns for 20 years?

I don't have any specific makes or models to recommend, but I did recently get a green laser pen as a gift.
    I looked it up online and it looks like about a $15 item. Dirt cheap, really.
    But it lights up the night sky like a light saber from Star Wars. You can see the beam going way up into the sky, hundreds of yards.

During the day, you can't see the beam travel through the air, but you sure can see the spot hit any surface.
    Even a soft, irregular surface like a shrub, or the fur on a cat.
    On a hard flat surface at across-the-room distances, the green spot is uncomfortably bright at night, and plainly visible during the brightest sunshine.

The red lasers I"ve used before are nothing like this.
    I'm thinking I need a green laser sight on a shotgun or carbine now.

Just F.Y.I.

2. Ga_Regul8r

Ga_Regul8r Member

Have you been teasing the cat with the laser again?

:rotfl2:

3. Archangel

Archangel Moderator Staff Member

:shock:

Whew! Glad it's just a pen lazer! Not on a gun. (just had throw that out there for the cat lovers)

:lol:

Curious... Does the cat prefer chasing the green or the red? Man you can make em do some crazy stuff!

4. Campeck1911

Campeck1911 New Member

In my experience the cats like the <5mW red lasers more.
    The <50mW Green laser produces a huge halo around it and the cats get confused and don't like the brightness.
    The green lasers are perfect for pointing out stars and the like at night. I think I'm going to mount one on my telescope as a helper to my finder scope.

5. moga

moga New Member

Lasermax seems to offer quality units. Laserlyte has a terrible reputation as being a POS. I can't really speak to the crimson trace units because to the best of my knowledge, they don't offer green. Although there have been reports of the former two units failing to operate in cold temperatures, I suspect the failure can be better attributed to the reduced voltage output of the small form factor batteries at those temps than a failure of the laser unit itself. Either way, I can't justify spending $300 on a unit that only works when the temp is above fifty. When the power consumption issue at cold temps is worked out in the future, I'll gladly buck up for one to put one on an A2 carbine for urban-social use.

6. Campeck1911

Campeck1911 New Member

7. STAGNETTI

STAGNETTI New Member

Got to be careful when pointing it in the night sky. You might hit a plane and blind the cockpit or pilot. Might as well not shoot a laser into the sky.

8. Campeck1911

Campeck1911 New Member

9. Ga_Regul8r

Ga_Regul8r Member

10. Verbal101

Verbal101 Active Member

11. Campeck1911

Campeck1911 New Member

Well i got my 100mW red laser but it's hardly bright enough to see the beam. I forgot that green scatters more easily and that green is more intense to the human eye. So I ordered a 100mW green one.