Great animation I saw

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by johnpeace, Sep 28, 2006.

1. johnpeace

johnpeace New Member

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Randian? Frederic Bastiat beat her to it by a century!

You posted this on the wrong web site, however. The posters here talk about liberty until you get to specifics. Once you cite a specific, they are all too willing to use force to seize the property of others, with the only justification being their own "need," as if that is a mortgage on the life of another.

Doubt what I say? Click here and read.
    http://www.georgiapacking.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=214

You don't even have to get through the full five pages to understand what is going on . . .

3. wwomack

wwomack New Member

This animation explains my philosophy/worldview perfectly. No one has a right to my life and the fruits of my labor but me and those I give my life and my property to. Of course, this also means the inverse is true; I have no right to anyone elses life.

4. Malum Prohibitum

5. wwomack

wwomack New Member

Of course not. I have every right to tell them what price they can charge for their gasoline. After all, I need it and they're probably just a rich business owner anyway. :wink:

**HTML really needs a <sarcasm> tag. I always worry that someone will take me seriously when I say things like that. **

6. Malum Prohibitum

I use this one ---------> :roll:

7. thebugman

thebugman New Member

So how does our military action in IRAQ fit into the philosophy of Liberty? Also in the past people took the land that we now use. I didn't take the land, but some would say it was taken by force initially. How is that reconcilled?

This also made me think of the conflict in Israel. The land they have was taken from other(their property) and given to the Jews. Is it appropriate for the palastinians to fight for that land? What is the remedy from a Liberty perspective? Of course if you go even further back in time that land was likely taken from Jews etc...

We have an all volunteer military currently, and some like myself temporarily sacrifice their Liberty to protect the liberty of others. They of course are doing this in exchange for property, in the form of money and other incentives. So if we have another draft, does it violate the liberty of those drafted?

I loved the book Atlas Shrugged, other than it put me in a ad mood for a while. I could so clearly see exactly what was in the book was literally happening today.

I am going to have to look into this Frederic Bastia guy.

8. thebugman

thebugman New Member

Allright, I found that he wrote a book called "The Law" but that is about all I can find. Actual hits with info on him are less frequent that putting my own name into the Google search. So were can this book be found?

Tried yahoo. They seem to be a little more Frederic Bastia friendly. I found 4 books by him. Two are on order from a local book store. Should have them by the end of the week.

9. Malum Prohibitum