Great 911 Tape

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Adam5, Mar 20, 2007.

1. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

This woman was not charged, and the shooting was deemed self-defense. You have to play the video and listen to the 911 transcript.

http://www.kcci.com/news/11299421/detail.html

Police Call Fatal Shooting Self-Defense
    No Charges Filed

DES MOINES, Iowa -- Police said that when a woman fatally shot someone who was trying to break into her home, it was a clear case of self-defense.

NewsChannel 8 obtained a recording of the 911 call placed during a weekend shooting.

Police said that when Terri Burgess tried to break into Shasta Bell's apartment, she was most likely under the impression Bell was gone for the weekend.

Authorities said that what Burgess didn't know was that Bell had canceled her plans. Bell had served in the military and was armed.

Police said that when Bell called 911 at about 3 a.m. Saturday, she didn't know she had already shot and killed the person outside her bedroom window.

"Someone's trying to break into my house," Bell told a dispatcher.

"What's your address?" the dispatcher asked.

"Are they still at the window?" the dispatcher asked.

"I don't know. I just fired … if you could send somebody," Bell said.

"What do you mean you just fired at them?" the dispatcher asked.

"Am I supposed to just lay here and let somebody come in on me?" Bell asked.

"Do you mean you just shot at them?" the dispatcher asked.

"Damn right. They were coming through my window," Bell said.

Police said that on Saturday morning, Burgess went up the building's fire escape carrying a bag and a pair of scissors. Authorities said that Burgess pried at the window and cut away the screen and that's when Bell pulled the trigger.

"Where is the gun now? Where's the gun?" the dispatcher asked.

"In my damn hands," Bell said.

Bell owns the apartment building.

Police said Bell didn't know at the time that the woman outside her window who was trying to break in was a girlfriend of one of her tenants.

Authorities said they are sure that the woman's intent was breaking into Bell's apartment.

The dispatcher explained to Bell that police were on the way. She asked Bell to put her gun down.

"I need you to put your gun down so when they cops get there they don't take you," the dispatcher said.

"When they get here with their sirens on I will put it down. Otherwise you can go to …. You've lost your … mind," Bell said.

Police said no charges will be filed against Bell. However, police said it is not an open invitation to use deadly force in any circumstance.

"Everyone has a right to defend themselves, but know it will be scrutinized if you do take such action," said police spokesman Sgt. Todd Dykstra.

Polk County attorney John Sarcone said there's no hard and fast line when it comes to justifiable homicide.

In a phone interview, Sarcone said people don't have to be faced with deadly force in order to use deadly force to protect their property, life or someone else's life.

However, the law said that a person must act reasonably in the same situation.

Bell told NewsChannel 8 that she did not want to talk about the shooting.

2. Macktee

Macktee New Member

3. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

:bowdown:

I'll have to remember some of her quotes if I ever have to use my gun in self defense then call 911.

4. glockgirl

glockgirl New Member

I love girls! We just tell it like it is.

hmmm wonder what she would have said if she had also had PMS

5. slabertooch

slabertooch New Member

Probably would have sounded like this.......

:shoot: :shoot: :shoot: :shoot: :minigun: :minigun: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: [-X :minigun: :minigun: :minigun:

6. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

I think I speak for all men when I say that is a bold face lie. :)

7. glockgirl

glockgirl New Member

no it is guys that just can't say what they mean! I am the bluntest person I know and so are other girls I know. Guys are the wishy washy ones...

putting on flame suit now.

hmmm maybe I am just not a normal girl. I mean I do hang out at this boys club alot

8. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

:righton:

9. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Your presence in the boys club is appreciated.
    After all, someone has to keep the place clean and do the laundry. Just kidding.

10. geaux_tigers

geaux_tigers Member

I couldn't have said it better. I think that could be the new GCO motto. Or maybe we could put it at the top of the Guns Save Lives button. :D

11. rajl

rajl New Member

Adam, you've been on a roll with your fine print remarks tonight. Must be that nightcap. ;-)

12. glockgirl

glockgirl New Member

my idea of doing the laundry is washing it when the pile doesn't fit in the hamper and dumping it on the guest bed where I will dig thru it to find what I need then gripe about the wrinkles.

or just grab some jeans out of the hamper and swear you can wear them at least a few more times.

the only thing I miss about my soon to be ex-husband was that he did wash all the laundry....

damn this insomina thing... I am going to put another coat of paint up in my bathroom.

13. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I was just in a smart a** all day yesterday. :wink:

14. Watch_Their_Hands

Watch_Their_Hands New Member

=D> :shoot: Shoot her again. Hell, lean out the window and pull the damn trigger again just to make sure.

However, I have a severe problem with this: "Everyone has a right to defend themselves, but know it will be scrutinized if you do take such action," said police spokesman Sgt. Todd Dykstra.

So, basically he is saying, "You have the right to shoot someone in self defense, but you should fear the fact that you may be prosecuted."

So, there's the deterrent to self defense, and why many people choose not to arm themselves at all. What a fuc :censored: ing as :censored: hole.