GPS tracking of employees while on the clock

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by rankhornjp, Oct 16, 2016.

1. rankhornjp

rankhornjp Active Member

I'm thinking about using an APP for clock-in/clock-out purposes. The app has the ability to track GPS location of the phone. If the app is on an employee's personal phone, is it legal to turn on the GPS function?

Code section?
    Case law?

Thanks

2. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

Yikes, you mean the employer having the power to turn on an employee's private phone GPS, and know their location?

That would kind of stink.

I mean, you better trust your boss, and trust him not to be a creepster.

3. JiG

JiG Awaiting censure

As en employee, I refuse to install apps on my personal phone for my employer. I have refused the ADP app already.

However; company phone and vehicle... they can gps all they want... and they do.

4. rankhornjp

rankhornjp Active Member

No, the app can't turn on the GPS, it just has the option of seeing the location if they are clocked in and location services is on. It also has the option of making location services a requirement to clock-in. So, the employee would know they were being monitored and it only works while they are clocked-in so it wouldn't track them while off duty.

5. rmodel65

rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

The paint rep locally a few years ago was out fishing they caught him because his truck has a location device would be sitting for hours on end. He was out fishing and also getting checks made out to him giving the body shots materials and not turning in the money. ..

6. a_springfield

a_springfield Well-Known Member

My phone no way I would allow. Companies phone would stay in the truck when off. We have iPhones at work to do time, we leave it In the gang box.

7. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

That sounds good, sure there can be abuse, but without you physically being there 24/7 when open, its hard for anything to be fool-proof. Gotta trust those employees.

8. Scout706

Scout706 Well-Known Member

My phone my rules

9. Wheedle

Wheedle Active Member

This...
    I would also refuse to carry the company phone when not on the clock. Most likely it would stay in my locker or toolbox at work when I go home.

There have been rumors around my company for years that the rfid chips in our badges were, or were going to be, used to monitor our movements on the premises. I'm not going to weigh in on the possibility of it happening in the future... but they aren't doing it now. Our shop's responsibilities take us everywhere... really, everywhere... and people are constantly places there is no good business purpose for them to be.

10. Jmark

Jmark Active Member

I know the state does this with employees phones and they actively monitor them. In my fiance's case they can also turn on the mic.

11. awanatech

awanatech Well-Known Member

Is this her personal phone? Or her state issued phone?

12. Jmark

Jmark Active Member

State

13. jmorriss

jmorriss Active Member

So no parties present at the conversation would be consenting to it's recording?

14. Jmark

Jmark Active Member

I've not read the employment agreement but I'm sure that would be covered there or lawsuits would have happened years ago.

ETA: Also I'm not sure "recording" was actually mentioned only "monitoring" which may make a difference. Either way they're notified of this when getting the phones.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016