GPS Tracker for car

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by awanatech, Sep 14, 2017.

1. awanatech

awanatech Well-Known Member

Does anyone have experience with a GPS Tracker for a car? Any recommendations on which one? What costs to expect?

I've considered one for my 16 y.o. son's car. I'm not as concerned that he's going where he shouldn't be, but he loses track of time and doesn't always let us know what his plans are. For example, last Friday after school, he let us know he was going to eat Waffle House with a friend after school. We know the friend had to be back at the high school for Marching Band by 6pm. Mrs. Awanatech starts to fret & worry because he wasn't here by 6:15. Of course to call him, if he's driving, he shouldn't answer because of age restrictions for phone use while driving. I try to help her understand that he's a 16 y.o. boy with no concept of time. I'm wondering if a GPS tracker that we could log into an app & see where he is would ease her mind. But not sure what price would come with that peace of mind. I'm just glad he is finally getting past some of his anxiety and wants to get out of the house a little and actually socialize with his friends, in person, face to face.

2. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

Does he have a 'smart phone'?

3. awanatech

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  4. awanatech

He does. It's a cheap smart phone from Boost Mobile.

5. rmodel65

rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

we used to put in gold star(i think it was called) gps in the cars we sold at a bodyshop/dealership i worked at. you could even disable the car from starting. think restriction and making him ride the cheese mobile lol

6. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

If it's your average teen with a cell glued to their ear or constantly in the hand, do a web search for "teen cell phone tracking".

If I'm right, you don't care so much where the car is as to where your kid is since they may catch a ride with a friend to somewhere.

All the car GPS trackers that I've come across require being downloaded to a pc unless they have their own cell connection. Why pay for that when the cell is already being paid for and a tracking app is free (in some cases).

NB... as they always say, "If you aren't paying for it, you're not the consumer, you're the product."

7. Mstr-Chris

Mstr-Chris Well-Known Member

Google Maps allows you to share location from the smartphone. It can be set for a specific amount of time or forever.

8. awanatech

Correct. I'm more concerned with where he is when he hasn't let mom know what his plans are. And he does always have his phone. Of all of the things that he's misplaced iver the years, he's never misplaced his phone. I had been looking at car GPS' and really didn't like the monthly cost. I'll look into tracking the phone.

9. awanatech

I'm looking in Google Maps in my own phone. Where would I enable this feature? How would I open maps on my phone to see where he is at that time?

10. AtlPhilip

AtlPhilip Proud GCO member.

11. jmorriss

jmorriss Active Member

On android, open google maps, go to the menu button top left (three horizontal bars). About a 1/4 of the way down the list is location sharing. They just changed it recently to where it shows a location on the basic google maps all the time, if you are in your zoom view. Otherwise you hit the center on location button and above that a little head will pop up. Press that and it takes you to a list of people who you share location with. Select the person, takes you right to their last pinged location.

12. Taurus92

Taurus92 Well-Known Member

I do as little in Goolag as possible. Not that I like Apple either. I miss my Blackberry.

13. awanatech

14. awanatech

Thanks jmorriss, I kept messing with Google Maps on my phone today to make sure I knew the settings that I was looking for before I did anything with his phone. I never could find the Location Sharing button. Then I realized that my app was out of date & needed to be updated. As soon as I updated it, I had the menu button & Location Sharing button like you mention. When he got home from work (1st day on the job), I played around with his phone, but still couldn't get it to share with me. I needed to then find & add me to his Google Contacts so that I came up in the list of people with whom he could share. Now, when I, or Mrs. Awanatech, opens our Maps, he pops up. This should ease her angst while he's out & about.

Thanks for the tips from all. I was originally thinking more of a car tracker, but this will do better, and it uses what we already have and are paying for.

15. Mstr-Chris

Mstr-Chris Well-Known Member

Two things to keep in mind, location sharing can be set for a definite amount of time or forever. It will occasionally email him to remind him he is sharing with you.

16. awanatech

I did see the time options. I set it forever. I didn't know it will email him, but that doesn't surprise me at all. For this son, I don't think he will have a problem with it. I don't really have to be stealthy to keep tabs on him. He tells me where he's been and I don't have reason to doubt him. He may even think it's a good idea if it keeps mom from having to text him just to see where he is.
    If it comes down to it, I'll remind him that I bought the phone, I pay the service, I bought & maintain the car. He's free to leave the phone here & ride the bike that he owns. It may be a different story when my 13 y.o. starts to drive. The topic will go very differently with him. But I appreciate the reminder for that.

17. AtlPhilip

You can go into his gmail and create a filter to delete the reminder before delivery

18. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Yeah, I think the better plan is to track the PHONE, and demand that when you call him, he answer it OR pull over and return the call within 5 minutes. Even if he's on the interstate highway, there should be an exit within 5 minutes, or he can pull over in a safe place and send a quick text saying he's 10 minutes away from the next exit on the highway.

When you call, he must answer.

You'll know where the phone is, so you'll know where HE is too.

If there's any doubt and you think he may be playing tricks on you, or refusing to answer a voice call because he's at a strip club on Fulton Industrial Blvd when he's supposed to be studying with friends at the library, demand that he take a "selfie" of himself in the library with the shelves and books in the background.
    That way he can't leave his phone with his buddies in the study group and tell them "if Dad calls, just text back that everything is OK and I'm here studying."

19. AtlPhilip

I can't recall the app name but there is an app that will lock his phone until he returns your text

20. awanatech

Thanks, I did not know I could do that. I may look into doing that, but he's my son who probably really won't care. If it means mom can see where he's at and won't need to bother him with a text, he's probably fine with it.