GPO Owner Sues State Under Open Records Act

Discussion in 'GWL News & Information' started by jrm, Oct 19, 2006.

1. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

The state Department of Public Safety denied the owner of this site access to records pertaining to firearms license application forms. GCO is sponsoring litigation to enforce the open records act against the state:

http://www.georgiacarry.org

2. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

Sheesh, it never ends with these bozos, does it?

By "bozo" I mean "state employee and/or agency."

3. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

I thought it was wierd that they did not have the forms I requested in electronic form.

I was very polite until they asked me if all I was doing was harassing them. Even then I gave them a chance after that last phone call. Since they sent nothing (not even a letter saying no electronic files), I decided to let GeorgiaCarry know about it.

4. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

Is it really a good use of resources to argue over FOIA stuff? If you don't mind me asking, why was it so neccessary that you see the documentation they have on you? Most of it can probably be attained by running a background check on yourself at the PD.

Seems like the time/effort could be better spent on straightening out these temporary license issues, permit delivery times and clarifying our vague and uneccessary laws regarding CCW.... things that people really need taken care of...

On the other hand, these people (georgiacarry), seem to be very active... are donations recommended? Is membership even allowed? I didn't see anything on their website that really discusses it. Who funds them? I would be glad to help. I'm not demeaning your situation, but I'm trying to figure out if they have an actual strategy... not that working for ANYTHING with GA CCW laws is a bad thing!

:D

5. ICP_Juggalo

ICP_Juggalo Professional Troll

I'm not the one to be speaking on the behalf of an organization, but seeing how pro-active the members of GCO are and seeing how they have their ducks in a row, all the issues you describe above are being evaluated in one form or another by GCO. There is alot of work being done by GCO that is behind the scenes that you don't see.

6. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

I was not asking for my own information. I was asking for the forms and other documents that DPS makes and gives to all the Probate Courts.

I was seeking things that might explain the probate court's actions.

As for the resources, I paid the court filing fees and GeorgiaCarry.org provided the legal representation.

As for GeorgiaCarry as an organization, so far they have only requested funds when needed for cases, when the required amount was reached they stopped accepting funds. In the future they will probably start accepting memberships (they are still a relativly new group).

The strategy seems to be that they want the Government to follow the laws and are prepared to make them.

7. ber950

ber950 Active Member

Thanks

Thanks GS1 and GCO. I know all this will pay off in the end.

8. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

The Joyce Foundation funds them. It is really an anti-gun conspiracy . . .

9. Malum Prohibitum

Seriously, you should expect to see a membership form available by early next week.

Funding up until now has been by the board members themselves or the few requests for donations for specific projects. The members of the board wanted to establish to everyone's satisfaction that the organization intended to accomplish its goals prior to accepting anyone's time or resources as members. The board members wanted to make an organization that people would be proud to join, rather than joining with their fingers crossed, not quite sure what it is they are supporting.

10. kkennett

kkennett New Member

An organization that provides action to back up its well-grounded stance is one I'd be glad to join. I am personally proud to see members of this board writing letters, making calls, paying fees, filing suits, and donating time to get our goals accomplished, as opposed to just complaining. That's how things get done in America. Thank God we live here and that is how things work.

11. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

I'm sold! :)

It seems that legal action is the only thing that is going keep get these probate courts from operating in such a rougue fashion. That's probably our best chance... to use their own law against them and make them follow it too... not just us.

GA needs another good CCW group. This board is a great tool for information sharing and discussions and to have another board that is more geared towards legislative change could go a long way! Read the news fellas... it's certainly not getting any safer for law-abiding citizens in this state, especially in the metro areas.

I'll join!

12. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

I was searching the forum for another post and came across the topic that started this (and other) chain of events. http://www.georgiapacking.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=582

13. Malum Prohibitum

http://www.georgiapacking.org/forum/vie ... php?t=1242

14. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

State Settles Open Records Case

The State has settled this case by providing the documents requested, and agreeing to pay the plaintiff's court costs and attorney's fees.

More information

15. Wiley

Wiley New Member

Seems to be a repetitive pattern. Maybe they will wake up and realize that you know the Law and they don't. Would simplify things conciderably.

16. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

:woohoo:

Lets see, calling DPS and asking them politely to follow the law and provide the documents as requested is, according to them, harassment.
    I wonder what they think of me now that the AG has taken the files from them and given them to me along with paying all court and attorney fees?