Government using mobile x-ray equipped trucks...

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Macktee, Nov 19, 2010.

1. Macktee

Macktee New Member

We're familiar with x-ray and "backscatter" scanners used in airports and at border crossings. Now, there's a new game in town. Mobile, truck-mounted equipment that can scan moving vehicles in traffic situations. You won't know you've been scanned until you're standing alongside the road in handcuffs.

Scary stuff.....

"... It sounds like something straight out of George Orwell’s 1984: Government vans, equipped with full-body X-ray scanning machines, have been deployed on the streets of our cities, monitoring an unwitting populace for signs of illegal activity.

You could simply be going about your daily activities, not even doing something that should invite the suspicions of the authorities, but it doesn’t matter. The police can still scan you and the contents of your vehicle, and if they see something that arouses their suspicions, stop you immediately and search you, your vehicle, and its contents. ..."

"... “First, it’s not clear that it is legal,†says Dr. Daniel Steinbock, professor of law and interim dean at the University of Toledo College of Law. ..."

"... Advocates of the technology might argue that its use is necessary to preserve our freedoms and the American way of life, reasoning that sounds a lot like, “In order to preserve the Constitution, it is necessary to destroy it.â€

Dr. Steinbock sums it up quite succinctly. “Without a warrant, the government doesn’t have a right to peer beneath your clothes without probable cause,†he says. Even airport scans are typically used only as a secondary security measure, he points out. “If the scans can only be used in exceptional cases in airports, the idea that they can be used routinely on city streets is a very hard argument to make.†...

Read the entire article here: http://autos.aol.com/article/x-ray-truck/

2. BG_Atl

BG_Atl Active Member

I guess that will finally answer the question about whether or not to inform a police office
    that you are carrying a weapon....

Does anyone have a map.... I really need to check and see what country I am living in... :screwy: