Gotta be a few more fishermen here...

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Owl, Oct 6, 2010.

1. Owl

Owl New Member

Just pimpin' the fishin' website and blog a bit today. We've already got one GPDO convert coming with us to our Fall Group Trip from our forums, but I know there have to be at least a few more fishermen/women among us here at GPDO! Our little group( about 20 active members, 50 total) is a group of mostly conservative fishing-camping-hunting guys. Most of us have been friends for about 10 years or so, but we're anything but a bunch of flyfishing snobs. :)

Check us out if you're into any of that, or would like to get started!

Main site: http://www.owljones.com
    Forums: http://www.brtb.aforumfree.com
    Blog: http://www.owljones.blogspot.com

2. zookeper

zookeper Active Member

i do a fair amount of fishing, usually trout but somehow i've managed to put more time this year into bass fishing. i've never tried to fly fish and i'm not really interested in changing over, got enough invested in my spinning rigs.

3. Owl

Owl New Member

I hear ya. Just to be clear( for everyone) you don't have to flyfish to be a part of our forums. Whether you throw a $16 elk hair caddis on a fly rod, or a rooster-tail or Rapala on spinning gear ( or powerbait or corn for that matter) you are more than welcome to join us. Heck, we even have a few members that don't fish for trout.

I'm normally a Shimano guy when it comes to spinning reels, but due to the prices over the last few years, I've started using Bass Pro and Cabela's house brand reels and they've done pretty well for me.

4. lostprofit

lostprofit New Member

Funny you should mention that. I haven't been fishing for a little while. I was looking over at a display case that holds some of my grandfather's old baitcasters and say my fly reel in there. I was just thinking about re-lining it and getting back into. I'm a hack and hardly ever catch any fish, but I can throw some line. :wink: I'll have to check some of my gear to see what needs replacing though.

5. zookeper

zookeper Active Member

got any bream fishermen over there?
    [​IMG]

6. Owl

Owl New Member

HOLY COW MAN! What is that - the world record? Man, that's a HOG 'gill! Yeah, most everyone fishes for anything that bites. ;)

lostprofit, I just about got totally out of it last year myself. A bout of job-loss induced depression had me not wanting to do much of anything recreational, but the temps are getting cooler and I'm ready to stand in a creek again.

7. zookeper

zookeper Active Member

just messing with you, i didn't catch it, my grandfather did. it was a world record and still would be if he hadn't let it set in the refrigerator for 20 hours before getting it weighed. ( 4lb 10oz) got beat by a smaller fish from the same lake that weighed 4/12.

8. MyFred

MyFred Banned

You really should try fly fishing for bass. Great experience!!! Me and my dad used to do it all the time.