Got Tossed into the Pool

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Sine Nomen, Jul 26, 2007.

1. Sine Nomen

Sine Nomen New Member

I recently had my own rendition of this story. At our last race in Birmingham, some of the crew were lounging by the pool after dinner at Longhorn. I had my Kahr PM9 on my ankle as I had the whole trip. (Don't you just love Alabama carry laws?) Someone decided that I needed to go swimming too. Nevermind that I was actually wearing nice clothes with my wallet and cell phone in the pockets. He must have REALLY thought I needed the dunk, because It took him about 40 seconds to wrestle me in even after we both crashed though the plastic fence and into the bushes. I probably should have been REALLY angry about it, but I always seem to remain calm when people do stupid stuff.

Anyhow, I went back to my room and field stripped and dried my pistol as best I could, put on dry clothes, and reloaded into my IWB holster. The next morning I returned to my ankle holster. All seemed well until I got home and found a small amount of water and rust on the slide release leaver and b it of rust in between the chambered round and the striker. I scrubbed everything, blew it out with compressed air, oiled, reassembled, and went to the range. All seven of the Hydrashoks that got dunked fed and fired perfectly. As did the following 350 rounds of FMJ, except for a few failures to return to battery (mostly when shooting weak side only) and two failures to feed.

I still felt squeamish about the possibility of rust, so I took it to David at Adventure Outdoors today to have him look it over. I'll let you all know what he finds when I pick it up tomorrow.

2. legacy38

legacy38 Well-Known Member

Why do people insist on doing stuff like throwing others into a pool?

3. curtdiss

curtdiss Member

Get yourself a Glock and no worries :mrgreen: :righton: :neener:

4. Sine Nomen

Sine Nomen New Member

I really like the Glocks but they are just too wide for me to reasonably conceal, and too damn ugly to open carry.

5. curtdiss

curtdiss Member

:shakehead: :roll: :censored: [-X

6. ber950

ber950 Active Member

:rotfl: :rotfl2:

7. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

Next one who does it to me is getting punched in the throat.

8. legacy38

Sounds like a plan.

9. tace

tace New Member

You were wrestling the guy? Why didn't you just pull your gun and end the horse play right there?

:D

10. pyromaster

pyromaster Member

<OT> What kind of race was this? Were you at Barber?</OT>

11. Sine Nomen

Sine Nomen New Member

Because I knew nothing worse was going to happen than I get dunked into the water or fall down and get hurt. Neither of these results would really justify aggravated assault, particularly against a co-worker. Had we actually started to fight, the rest of the team would have broken us up, and/or he would have gotten a real close look at the business end of a 9mm loaded with Hollowpoints.

12. Sine Nomen

Sine Nomen New Member

Yes we were at Barber. Grand-Am was there and we had three GS Mustangs in the Koni Challenge

13. Sine Nomen

Sine Nomen New Member

Besides, I actually know how to wrestle, which he does not. Had he not caught me off guard after I thought we were finished, he would not have been successful in his endeavor.

14. ahlongslide

ahlongslide New Member

When Glock comes out with the "slimline" 9mm will you convert?

If you had been OCing in the first place, then he probably wouldn't have tried to dunk you.

15. Sine Nomen

Sine Nomen New Member

It's going to be hard to get me to leave my Kahr, but Glock just may be up to the task.

That's very true, though I kinda hope that would be out of respect for not wanting to dunk a perfectly good weapon, more than fear of retaliation. (If it's not apparent yet, I'm VERY much against drawing or shooting anyone unless life or limb are in imminent danger.) I'm trying to convince myself that he dunked my wallet and phone because they were out of sight out of mind.

16. asbrand

asbrand Active Member

I'd be demanding he cover any damages / cost of repairs.

17. legacy38

yup

18. Sine Nomen

Sine Nomen New Member

Update

Picked up the Kahr yesterday. All was good, no corrosion, no rust, no buildup. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

19. legacy38

Was your cell phone or anything else damaged beyond repair?

20. Sine Nomen

Sine Nomen New Member

The cell phone was fried, but it was literally the worst phone I've ever had and I got my replacement Razr in the mail yesterday anyway.
    My belt came out a little bit crusty, so need to try working it over a bit. Everything else came out ok.