Got thrown into the pool while carrying

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by gsusnake, May 24, 2007.

1. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

I was CCing as I walked towards the leasing office to take care of something and some douchebag threw me into the freakin' pool, thinking I was someone else.

After I threatened to kick his ass, then cooled down and went back to my apartment, I immediately fieldstripped the Taurus, unloaded the mags, and did a full detail clean, now it's sitting on newspaper drying out completely.

Is it ruined?

2. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Yes, and you should give it to me. 8)

I'd say just replace that ammo.

3. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

What about your cell phone? I would have been angry.

4. gsusnake

Grr... two mags of Hydra-Shok and two of Golden Sabers.

There goes $50. :x

5. tace

tace New Member

You heard of gun torture tests, right?

Its not ruined but there are products out there that will completely remove any water from any nook and crevice you can't get in to. Anyway, fieldstripping and air drying for a while will probably do, too.

6. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

Try them next time you go to the range.

7. gsusnake

Nobody's ever torture tested cheap Brazilian knockoff S&W pistols.

I cleaned and cleaned and cleaned my heart out... I just read on another website that CLP can help protect against water damage if you've used it before the submersion, and I had. Mostly what I was cleaning off seemed to be a little CLP residue and a little water.

8. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

You're gun should be fine. If it can't take a dip in the pool you shouldn't be trusting your life to it.

I've take my G27 on river trips several times, and it still works fine. I just strip and clean it after each trip.

As for the ammo, I don't know that I would trust it for carry now, but it should still be good for function testing in your carry pistol.

9. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

I was just about to say...give it a little CLP lovin' That should do the trick.

Two questions.

How many rounds does each mag hold and do you really carry three extra mags at a time?

10. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

Was the guy at least apologetic? Did he offer to make things right somehow?

11. gsusnake

10 rounds each.

I had two on my belt, one in my pocket, and one in the gun.

And I don't usually carry that much, I just got my new Comp-Tac double mag holder and was trying to see where it rode comfortably while I went about my business around town today.

12. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

I was thinking the same thing. That is a lot of ammo. gsusnake is ready!

As for me I always carry one extra mag but I started carrying two extra mags until I got a backup pocket gun. So now the two guns and one backup mag for the primary.

13. gsusnake

Drunk and stupid.

I didn't want to get in a fight with him so I just let it slide.

14. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

hhhmmmmm

simple battery, disorderly conduct, public drunk...

15. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Dude...we gotta meet up sometime. I want to get a good look at their mag carrier, as I'll be ordering the extra mag/ flashlight combo when funds permit. I'll call it my ITP gear. 8)

16. gsusnake

Had I attacked him, I could have been charged with assault or battery (don't recall the difference between the two offhand).

Plus, had the encounter escalated, he had several friends with him who could have gotten involved. If I'm that outnumbered and I can't get out then I go to the last resort, and I really didn't want to do that.

Easier just to live and let live and let the morons weed themselves out.

17. gsusnake

The great part is, the C.T.A.C. and the mag holder both held their contents, even when I was upside down under three feet of water.

You have to want your gun to come out of that holster before it will.

18. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I've hunted in coastal Oregon. That is way more moisture than just getting thrown in the pool. Just clean it.

19. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

I'll get to test out the true concealability of my CTAC when I wear a suit for my brother's graduation. For some stupid reason they are having it ITP....thus I will be concealing and I will have a spare.

Assault is the threat, battery is the action.

It's always wisest to win without fighting. Going to fists or guns is always a last resort, at least for me. But you did well in just letting it go.

20. S&W 40

S&W 40 Active Member

One thing you may want to do is use a hair dryer or compressed air to ensure all water is out of the clevasses.

But overall you'll be fine. Use the ammo for some range time on old thick catalogs to see which you think do the best.