Got some new jackboots...

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by gsusnake, Sep 28, 2010.

1. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

After three orders, two returns, and nearly three weeks, I've finally gotten a new pair of boots.

My new Dr. Martens 1919 classics are here! They are my fourth pair of Docs. I've outgrown two pair and worn a third completely through.

Anybody else have a *thing* for Doc Martens boots?

[​IMG]

2. gsusnake

And if you ever want to buy shoes online, I HIGHLY recommend Zappos. Free shipping both ways, no sales tax in Georgia, and if you return something and get a refund in store credit, your next purchase (with that store credit) gets free next-day shipping.

A pleasure to deal with.

3. Xiclotl

Xiclotl Active Member

4. gsusnake

Maybe it's just because it's been a while since I broke a pair of Docs in, but damn, my feet are KILLING me right about now...

5. drtybykr

drtybykr New Member

I have the same boot, and love them. The most comfortable riding boot for a hot day. :righton:

However it seems the soles wear a lot faster than my other riding boots.

6. Xiclotl

Xiclotl Active Member

New Doc Marten's always feel like that. Kinda like breaking in a new pair of ice skates or cleats. Painful? Yes. Worth it? Yes!

7. Hack Causality

Hack Causality New Member

I typically wear a Wellington-style boot from Wolverine.
    [​IMG]

8. lostprofit

lostprofit New Member

I'm currently wearing a pair of 5-hole Dr. Martens that I've had for a loooooooong time. The soles are just now showing signs of wear and tear. I need to get another pair of boots though. I have a pair that I bought in '91 that are completely worn out. Complete with a hole in the side. :D I love my Docs.

9. MrMorden

MrMorden New Member

Bates Gore-Tex GX-8 for me:
    [​IMG]

10. mdlott

mdlott Member

Wearing a pair JUST like those right now. Instantly comfortable and well worth the money. When these wear out, I'll be seeking another identical pair. :righton:

11. BirdMan

BirdMan Active Member

Montrail Torre GTX are my boots of choice. They've lasted me hundreds of miles in rough terrain and they're
    still waterproof and warm. They're tough boots, made well, and put up with major abuse. Best of all, they
    fit my wide feet better than any other boots I've ever tried on, and never gave me a blister from day one.

[​IMG]

12. fmlaw1

fmlaw1 Active Member

Quality shoes can be resoled & revived! Too often, shoes nowadays are NOT made like they were, and are often made abroad (w/o you knowing), though the price is the same or higher than before.

Not all shoes are worth resoling, and you can often just buy new for about the same price. BUT, just food for thought!

DOCS are definitely on the list of shoes that are often resoled to like-new condition. I don't own any, but they look like they would be worth resoling.

13. zookeper

zookeper Active Member

propet makes 6x width (what sold me on them)
    this is what i wear and love them, with gell inserts they are all day comfortable.
    +1 for zappos
    [​IMG]

14. politenessman

politenessman Active Member

Been wearing Docs since I was a kid .. ye gods, thats a long time.
    My current pair are getting a little long in the tooth and I suspect its about time to replace them.

I love Docs, but they wear quicker than other boots I find.

15. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

No way! I used to think that. Then I started buying Danner.

NO BREAK IN PERIOD.

They fit like a glove from day one.

Danner.

It is the only boot I buy now.

Oregon company.

16. moga

moga New Member

Belleville 700v Flight Boot. Very comfortable, even in warm weather, and they're made in the USA. I also have a non-GoreTex pair in Desert Tan that I wear while training during summer months.

[​IMG]

I absolutely detest when the sole of a boot wears out before the upper. :evil:

17. gsusnake

http://www.danner.com/boots/quarry-3-0-8-black-at.html

Oooh. I like. Plus Vibram soles, which are always a bonus (typically a lifetime warranty).

And they come in EE widths too? I think I've found my next pair of work boots, for when my new Docs wear out in ten years or so...

18. Malum Prohibitum

19. Malum Prohibitum

Also, if you look in Cabela's catalog, they have Danner boots that do not appear on the web site.

20. mountainpass

mountainpass Under Scrutiny

They also have a feature on their website to search the Made in the USA boots they make if that is important to you.

I like Italian made hiking boots, it is a dying art form. My current leather boots are Zamberlan Trek Lites.