Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Well after searching for a very long time for one of these, I finally found one at a price that I just couldn't believe. Its 40 years old, spent its for 20 years in a closet, and the next 20 years in a safe. Looks like it has hardly even been fired, a few tiny bumps and scratches in the wood, a tiny bit of rust in two spots, and that is all. One tiny scratch on the whole barrel. The internals on this thing look like it was hardly fired at all. It was very well taken care of.

Took it out today and put some round through it, fired flawlessly. It shoots perfectly between .22 longs and shorts, which is pretty amazing technology for 40 years ago. Its going to be a great little target, squirrel, rabbit, ect gun. It holds 17 longs, and 20-something shorts, in the tube, I believe. Semi-automatic.

You sure can go through the ammo easily, but heck its really inexpensive and fun to shoot. Now I think I might try to go to one of these Appleseed shoots and see how she does.

I also wonder if I could mount some inexpensive glass on there, and also leave the iron sights open. I'll have to see about that.

Anyway, just thought I would gloat, as I've been looking for this rifle at a very inexpensive price for a very long time. It was almost impossible to find one in this good a shape at this price, though. Enjoy. :righton:

·
Registered
21 Posts
EJR914 said:
I also wonder if I could mount some inexpensive glass on there, and also leave the iron sights open. I'll have to see about that.
I picked up a 3x-9x scope for .22s from Bash Pro a couple months ago for $30. They may still have some in stock. Unfortunately, the included mounts won't allow you to continue to use the iron sights, so you'd have to purchase some mounts separately for that. I looked for some mounts like that when I was there (scopes suck for **** hunting) but couldn't find any. What I did find was more expensive than the scope!

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alan_Hicks said:
EJR914 said:
I picked up a 3x-9x scope for .22s from Bash Pro a couple months ago for $30. They may still have some in stock. Unfortunately, the included mounts won't allow you to continue to use the iron sights, so you'd have to purchase some mounts separately for that. I looked for some mounts like that when I was there (scopes suck for **** hunting) but couldn't find any. What I did find was more expensive than the scope!
That's really affordable. I'll have to look into that. Maybe get it for Christmas. I'm sure I can find a compatible scope mount somewhere, that will allow me to leave the iron sights open. I'm not completely sold on having the iron sights alone, but I just like to have them as a back up, in case the scope gets messed up, or an animal is in close, you can switch to iron, no problem. I just like having both.

I'd like to maybe try this at some Appleseed shoots, so I think a scope will work out well for that. I'm also going to try to get better at using a scope at different distances as well, and the iron sights make it harder to do that. It will be an inexpensive way for me to better learn how to use a scope. Shooting that .308 all day and trying to learn how to properly use my scope with distances and such is really expensive and can really reek havoc on your shoulder as well.

·
Registered
7,594 Posts

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
A Typical Cat
1,743 Posts
That is a sweet little .22 you got there.. I love my Sportmaster 512 just as much tho.

·
Registered
310 Posts
EJR:

Nice... :righton:

Last week my MIL (85 yrs old) called me over to her house and asked me to clean her Charter Arms Undercover (38cal revolver)for her.

While I was there she told me she didn't think she needed the New England Firearms SB1 (Single barrel, single shot 12ga w/hammer) my wife and I had given her years ago when she was living alone and I should bring it home..

She had NEVER fired it, and it still had the #4 buck I put in it for her so long ago..

So, I got that, and then she said "while you're at it, look under the bed in the back bedroom and take that old 22 rifle home with you too"..

I looked under the bed and in a zippered gun case was a pristine old 552 just like yours..

I really like the appearance of the 522, just from the looks of it it appears her husband (my father-inlaw who died 5 yrs ago) seldom fired it..

I like the unusual appearance of the shroud part to deflect empty brass, and having the bolt on the off-side is just unique to my experiences with 22 rifles.

Don't have a clue as to how old my 552 is, but the serial number is: 16863XX so if anyone has a idea of when it might have been manufactured I'd sure love hearing it.

Good shooting!

Best Wishes,

Jesse

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
PX,

Wow, that is a beauty and quite an incredible find. Looks like it is in perfect condition. I love my 552, and I've already went through a good bit of brass firing it. Enjoy yours as well. Its a fun little rifle to shoot.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts