Georgiapacking.org banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a letter from the County Court today. I thought WOW, only 5 weeks, and I got my GFL! However, when I opened the envelope, it read:

Due to unresolved charges, we are unable to issue a Carry Permit. Please submit the appropriate court documentation resolving this issue.

Great, here it is 6PM on a Friday, and I have to worry about this all weekend!

I have no clue what they are referring to. I have to go see the Probate Judge in person to find out further details.

Could it be possible that there really is a mix-up somewhere and they have incorrect information? How should I proceed? Wow, now I have to go present myself to the Judge, and hope I don't get blind-sided in the courthouse and thrown in the slam for something I have no inkling about.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
16,485 Posts
:( If you can't think of any reason for this, there's probably an error on their part (maybe someone not so nice has the same name as you and has a similar address?) Good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,852 Posts
I have a hard time believing you have pending charges and just didn't notice. Don't worry about it and you can check it out on Monday. No reason to let it ruin your weekend.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,283 Posts
Don't worry. You're not the first person to get that letter. :whistle:

"Unresolved charges". That could mean a lot. You got arrested for burning books 3 years ago. Case dismissed, all good. Never entered into the "system"... shows up as pending. No disposition.

The letter should have listed the charge and where it was from.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,521 Posts
Don't sweat it, I got one of those last year when I did my renewal. I had to provide the court with the papers showing the disposition of the case. What County?

Chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cdtracing said:
Don't sweat it, I got one of those last year when I did my renewal. I had to provide the court with the papers showing the disposition of the case. What County?

Chris
The problem is, I don't have any idea what they are referring to. The only possibility is a speeding ticket 20 years ago. A big mix-up where my bail money "disappeared" and my license ended up getting suspended 6 months later. This happened in Gordon County.

I live in Catoosa County
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cdtracing said:
Don't sweat it, I got one of those last year when I did my renewal. I had to provide the court with the papers showing the disposition of the case. What County?

Chris
The problem is, I don't have any idea what they are referring to. The only possibility is a speeding ticket 20 years ago. A big mix-up where my bail money "disappeared" and my license ended up getting suspended 6 months later. This happened in Gordon County.

I live in Catoosa County
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,182 Posts
You may want to check and see if your identity has been stolen. That's what happened to me.

An unfortunately close relative (and meth junkie) stole mine and got a speeding ticket. He gave the Lowndes County deputy my name, birthday, and ssn after saying he'd left his license at home. Apparently this was enough for the deputy even though our physical descriptions are not even close to matching.

It took 6 months to get the situation sort of straightened out and the LCSO screwed up soooo many times. (Can we say lost patrolcar cam video evidence that got the forgery,etc... case dismissed even though the suspect had signed written confession)

My cousin had an even worse experience when someone stole and forged a check on an account he'd closed. He had bought a .22 ruger and got denied by NICS. He called Lowndes County sheriff's office, the source of the problem, (see a pattern here?) and they said he should come down and they'd fix the problem. Being young and naive he did on a Friday afternoon after 5 and spent the weekend in a jail that is under a federal court order because it's such a hellhole. It cost him several thousand dollars to prove that he was in fact a 6'6" white male and not the short black female in the store video purchasing the $1200 tv set with his check.

Hopefully your issue ain't nothing like my experiences. Be careful and DO NOT go to see any LEO agency in person to square anything away without knowing exactly what's going on.

Note for the record: I'm not antiLEO but EXPERIENCE has taught me that I am most emphatically against rude, lazy, dissembling, arrogant people where ever and what ever their profession.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,703 Posts
CoolHand said:
You may want to check and see if your identity has been stolen. That's what happened to me.

An unfortunately close relative (and meth junkie) stole mine and got a speeding ticket. He gave the Lowndes County deputy my name, birthday, and ssn after saying he'd left his license at home. Apparently this was enough for the deputy even though our physical descriptions are not even close to matching.

It took 6 months to get the situation sort of straightened out and the LCSO screwed up soooo many times. (Can we say lost patrolcar cam video evidence that got the forgery,etc... case dismissed even though the suspect had signed written confession)

My cousin had an even worse experience when someone stole and forged a check on an account he'd closed. He had bought a .22 ruger and got denied by NICS. He called Lowndes County sheriff's office, the source of the problem, (see a pattern here?) and they said he should come down and they'd fix the problem. Being young and naive he did on a Friday afternoon after 5 and spent the weekend in a jail that is under a federal court order because it's such a hellhole. It cost him several thousand dollars to prove that he was in fact a 6'6" white male and not the short black female in the store video purchasing the $1200 tv set with his check.

Hopefully your issue ain't nothing like my experiences. Be careful and DO NOT go to see any LEO agency in person to square anything away without knowing exactly what's going on.

Note for the record: I'm not antiLEO but EXPERIENCE has taught me that I am most emphatically against rude, lazy, dissembling, arrogant people where ever and what ever their profession.
That just plain sucks. Unfortunately there's probably nothing than could be done to keep it from happening again. After all, if anyone sues it's the taxpayers money that is used to pay the claim, not the goof(s) that screwed up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,521 Posts
dave_in_ga said:
cdtracing said:
Don't sweat it, I got one of those last year when I did my renewal. I had to provide the court with the papers showing the disposition of the case. What County?

Chris
The problem is, I don't have any idea what they are referring to. The only possibility is a speeding ticket 20 years ago. A big mix-up where my bail money "disappeared" and my license ended up getting suspended 6 months later. This happened in Gordon County.

I live in Catoosa County
Well it might just be a F'up on thier part. Hope you can get things worked out. Keep us updated and mabey some of the legal beagle's can step up and offer some help.

Chris
 

·
Atlanta Overwatch
Joined
·
13,736 Posts
When I got mine Forsyth Co went ahead and pulled an initial criminal background on me while I waited. There was someone else with the same name as me with a felony, that came up when he pulled my record. He made a notation that it was a different person, and everything went through fine. It may be something as simple as that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, it turned out to be something I did 35 years ago as a STOOPID Youth. You know the drill: wrong place at the wrong time.

But, as my luck has it, only half of the info got input into the system. Not the half where the charges were dropped.

Now I am in contact with the ElPaso TX SD trying to dig up records from 35 years ago. Fortunately the clerk I spoke with seems very knowledgeable and willing to help.

Local probate judge says as soon as I get the disposition, he will release the GFL.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
16,485 Posts
dave_in_ga said:
Well, it turned out to be something I did 35 years ago as a STOOPID Youth. You know the drill: wrong place at the wrong time.

But, as my luck has it, only half of the info got input into the system. Not the half where the charges were dropped.

Now I am in contact with the ElPaso TX SD trying to dig up records from 35 years ago. Fortunately the clerk I spoke with seems very knowledgeable and willing to help.

Local probate judge says as soon as I get the disposition, he will release the GFL.
That's good news. While you're waiting for the EPSD, I think it's story time...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's good news. While you're waiting for the EPSD, I think it's story time...
Well...........

It was way back in 1974....

I was in the Army at Ft Bliss. An off-post buddy and I were going up to Las Cruces to see The Grateful Dead. I went by his place to pick him up, and a nickel plated automatic answered the door. Next thing I knew, I was on the floor cuffed.

It seems he was "getting ready" for the concert when he answered the knock at the door-- El Paso Sheriff's Dept :cry: .

I came along about ten minutes later... We both got taken downtown.
Booked for controlled substance. Charges dropped on me, later I found out he got 8 years probation.

Haven't talked to him since... I held on to the tickets for a long time, but finally lost track of them. First AND LAST time I ever want to be on the wrong side of the bars.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
68,147 Posts
dave_in_ga said:
That's good news. While you're waiting for the EPSD, I think it's story time...
Well...........

It was way back in 1974....

I was in the Army at Ft Bliss. An off-post buddy and I were going up to Las Cruces to see The Grateful Dead. I went by his place to pick him up, and a nickel plated automatic answered the door. Next thing I knew, I was on the floor cuffed.

It seems he was "getting ready" for the concert when he answered the knock at the door-- El Paso Sheriff's Dept :cry: .

I came along about ten minutes later... We both got taken downtown.
Booked for controlled substance. Charges dropped on me, later I found out he got 8 years probation.

Haven't talked to him since... I held on to the tickets for a long time, but finally lost track of them. First AND LAST time I ever want to be on the wrong side of the bars.
I do not understand what was the probable cause for arrest in the first place?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,981 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
I do not understand what was the probable cause for arrest in the first place?
It's because he wasn't from around there :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,974 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
[quote="dave_in_ga":86wtqxyc]
That's good news. While you're waiting for the EPSD, I think it's story time...
Well...........

It was way back in 1974....

I was in the Army at Ft Bliss. An off-post buddy and I were going up to Las Cruces to see The Grateful Dead. I went by his place to pick him up, and a nickel plated automatic answered the door. Next thing I knew, I was on the floor cuffed.

It seems he was "getting ready" for the concert when he answered the knock at the door-- El Paso Sheriff's Dept :cry: .

I came along about ten minutes later... We both got taken downtown.
Booked for controlled substance. Charges dropped on me, later I found out he got 8 years probation.

Haven't talked to him since... I held on to the tickets for a long time, but finally lost track of them. First AND LAST time I ever want to be on the wrong side of the bars.
I do not understand what was the probable cause for arrest in the first place?[/quote:86wtqxyc]

They must have knew he liked guns. Liking guns is all the probable cause "they" need.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I do not understand what was the probable cause for arrest in the first place?
He (my "buddy") was evidently breaking down an oz of coke when the PD came knocking. I guess the worst wrong thing a person could do at that time is to put it in your pocket and answer the door......

Yes, the Karma accountants were smiling on me that day. I kept my E5 and secret clearance, he got busted to E1(over 6) , lost 3 months pay, and received a DD from the Army.
 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Top