Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I severved four years active duty in the Corps, have been in the innactive reserves for three years and still have one year left. Other then an occasional phone call asking for my current address, I haven't been called to muster. Today while at work, a SSgt from the Marine Corps Reserve Headquartes called me and left a voice mail. He wanted to verify that I had received my orders to muster at the end of March. He left contact info but by the time I was able to call back, the phone just rang. I'm probably going to have to wait until Monday to reach him. Thing is is that I think they still have an old South Carolina address for me so any orders mailed are lost in the sauce.

Anybody been through this before? Is this just a muster to get current info and make sure I have my arms and legs? Or could this be a call back to duty?

Any info could help easy my mind. Thanks

·
Registered
7,594 Posts
Could be either. I retired from the Army in '83, and was called back for the Gulf War. When they found out I was working Civil Service I was deferred. I'm betting they want you back in uniform, especially if your career field is short. Good luck, and I hope they just want to count fingers and toes. :lol:

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Odds are its just a Face to Face muster, IRR for the Navy is supposed to do one a year, usually only about 25% actually get called in for it though.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
CountryGun said:
Could be either. I retired from the Army in '83, and was called back for the Gulf War. When they found out I was working Civil Service I was deferred. I'm betting they want you back in uniform, especially if your career field is short. Good luck, and I hope they just want to count fingers and toes. :lol:
I am proud to have served, but I'm older and out of shape now. I'm hoping that's all it is.

·
I watch the watchers
12,883 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fallschirmjäger said:
Oddly....this comes to mind.

DayByDay.com
I'm not that old now, but an armered wheelchair with a 240 mounted on each side sounds fun

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Am I correct in saying that my job cannot fire me more missing a day to go to this muster?
I will have to take a day off to do this, maybe more depending on where it is.

·
Registered
438 Posts
ClayD said:
Am I correct in saying that my job cannot fire me more missing a day to go to this muster?
To be safe, you will need to get a copy of those orders to turn in to your job. 99% of work places allow up to 2 weeks of military time per year. If you are activated (I hope not) they have to hold your job until you return. It may be covered under the Soldier and Sailors Relief Act, but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Going Postal said:
ClayD said:
To be safe, you will need to get a copy of those orders to turn in to your job. 99% of work places allow up to 2 weeks of military time per year. If you are activated (I hope not) they have to hold your job until you return. It may be covered under the Soldier and Sailors Relief Act, but I'm not sure.
Thanks, giving them a copy is a good idea

·
Banned
2,559 Posts
I sure hope everything turns out like you want it to. I'd be happy if I was called up again....wouldn't be worth a damn to them....but would still be glad to go....:)

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
MyFred said:
I sure hope everything turns out like you wwant it to. I'd be happy if I was called up again....wouldn't be worth a damn to them....but would still be glad to go....:)
Im still proud either way

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And thanks to those who responded. It is still an IF, not sure yet

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good news, it turned out to be an accountability muster and working on getting an approval for dismissal.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Have them fax the orders to your place of work!! If they ( your Work ) give you any lip about it post back and I will find the federal regulation that will allow you to shut them down and you can be their boss! Had a federal boss try to tell a army IRR guy that he didn't have to let him go because he wasn't a real reservist! I was a union steward at the time and I pulled the federal regulation and ran it up to the base general and watched him get his :3hat: chewed for 2 hours and 2 weeks off with out pay!!

Semperfi,
Marine6212

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Marine6212 said:
Have them fax the orders to your place of work!! If they ( your Work ) give you any lip about it post back and I will find the federal regulation that will allow you to shut them down and you can be their boss! Had a federal boss try to tell a army IRR guy that he didn't have to let him go because he wasn't a real reservist! I was a union steward at the time and I pulled the federal regulation and ran it up to the base general and watched him get his :3hat: chewed for 2 hours and 2 weeks off with out pay!!
I had already planned on giving them a copy and telling them to shove it, I know they would pitch a fit because they would want me to take time off. As far as I know, it doesn't work that way.

Hopefully I can get these orders dismissed. The SSgt I talked to said the would pay me 250 for the muster, but that's gas to drive to Augusta and back. Fortunantly he was cool and instructed me on how to put in the request to get these orders shot down.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts